+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Autumn Release 2011 in Technical; Originally Posted by Cache My Autumn Upgrade still shows as Withdrawn in Solus3, does anyone else's or just me? Just ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cache View Post
    My Autumn Upgrade still shows as Withdrawn in Solus3, does anyone else's or just me?

Just wondering if I need to go and knock on Support's door....
    Are you an Academy who buys support from your LA? Capita released it to all of our Academy's directly (again) even though they buy support from us. After an irate phone call, they withdrew it from them so that we can release it during our rollout week.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    Last upgrade we did broke InTouch. Have had them scratching their heads over it. I'm waiting for the phone call I always seem to get telling me to hold fire lol!
    After our Summer upgrade In Touch is now broken as well. Its seems to be a .NET 4 thing, 'the callback service cannot be contacted' support is also scratching their heads Lol :-)

Thank Post
    The release has only been withdrawn because a Census Fileset is not included.
    Those of us who have upgraded will be able to import that Fileset when it is available on SupportNet.
    Those with problems, are you on .Net4 EXTENDED?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well we are an Academy but as far as I'm aware we have moved over to SIMS Direct Support.

@Sivadam Thanks, so it should be withdrawn then. Wish Capita would tell you this stuff.

Thank Post
    ....@Sivadam Thanks, so it should be withdrawn then. Wish Capita would tell you this stuff.
    They do keep us very informed - via SupportNet!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 23rd November 2011 at 08:00 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It wasn't posted on Supportnet until the evening of the 23rd though (I checked)

Thank Post
    If you're supported directly by Capita - you would have got an email. If your on SOLUS3 and you've setup alerts - you'll get an email saying you've received the autumn 11 re-release.

OK, you won't have now as they've pulled it (for now)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    See post here SIMS .net Autumn Release pulled from @PhilNeal.

SIMS August 2011 has been pulled due to a problem in the Pastoral Structure. The original issue with the Census file set was resolved.

Thank Post
    Hmmmmmmm!!!!
    My Email arrived on the 24th Nov and yet I had posted the reason for the release initially being pulled at 1.57 PM on 23rd Nov!
    And I had seen it before then - I just wasn't logged into Edugeek and so had not seen this thread until quite a bit after I knew that the release had been pulled!

And importing the Fileset meant I did not have to run the second upgrade!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 25th November 2011 at 02:33 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheScarfedOne View Post
    See post here SIMS .net Autumn Release pulled from @PhilNeal .

SIMS August 2011 has been pulled due to a problem in the Pastoral Structure. The original issue with the Census file set was resolved.
    I have not yet come across that issue. Maybe I better go and find out what the issue is!

Update!
    This does not affect us - it seems from the other thread that only 3 schools are affected out of the 1,000 that have taken the release. This highlights the problem that Capita has in testing the releases! If I had been at UAT for this release then my dataset would not have picked up any issue! Release are tested extensively but there are now 22,000 schools with SIMS and they all use SIMS in a unique manner! That is SIMS strength - you can tailor it to the needs of the school.
    Last edited by Sivadam; 25th November 2011 at 02:32 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,157 Posts
    This is the latest on the pulled release, posted yesterday.

*** SIMS 2011 Autumn Release - Please Read 25/11/2011

We have completed our investigations on the Pastoral Structure changes caused by the SIMS 2011 Autumn Upgrade and can confirm that there is an issue.
    Who is affected:
    Customers who have Registration groups which have been in different year groups in the past. This could be caused by a number of reasons including:
    1) At some point in the past the school have amended their pastoral structure to include a mix of Horizontal and Vertical Year groups. The registration groups would therefore have moved years from Year 1/Year 2 to Year 2 for example.
    2) The school have decided to rename a registration group and assign it to a different year. In other words, instead of creating a new registration group for someone they have renamed an existing one and moved its year.

What effect does it have?: In SIMS it will appear as though a new Year has been created (for example Year 1/Year 2) and it will appear to take some of the Registration groups with it.
    A hypothetical example of the end Pastoral structure view from an originally straight forward Year 1 and Year 2 structure might therefore be
    Year 1
    • Reg: Year1A
    • Reg: Year1B
    Year 1/Year 2
    • Reg: Year 1C
    • Reg: Year 2A
    • Reg: Year 2B
    Year 2
    • Reg: Year 2C

We are working on producing an updated version of the SIMS 2011 Autumn Release that will not amend the Pastoral Structure. In the meantime, the existing SIMS 2011 Autumn release will stay withdrawn in SOLUS2 and SOLUS3 and we would urge customers not to upgrade to this release using any copies they might have made before it was withdrawn.
    We are working on a number of solutions to correct the data. Customers are also advised NOT to attempt to resolve the issue in the software yet as that will only correct the data from today going forwards, not for the historical information which might have changed.

I will update this news item on Monday with further details when they are finalised.
    Regards,
    Jonathan Wood
    SIMS Product Manager (Technical and Releases)
    Posted: 25th November 2011 by Jonathan Wood

Thank Post
    So, i've been playing with the update - the broken one i downloaded before it got pulled. No pastoral structure issues on my data so thought i'd update on some of the features.

The new ability to add Tiers to staff is great. It adds a new section to staff details, section 10, and this just lists the tiers out of the pastoral structure so even admin staff can be allocated one. It's viewable by all staff by default, i guess that's why it's in a separate section so you could prevent access, not sure why you'd need to though.

I made up a false tier in the pastoral structure just for admin, so they aren't associated with any of the schools, as our admin are global. We could tick multiple tiers, but for some reports, we will want to just search for admin, so it works ( or will, hopefully) better this way.

The cool thing is Cover can now be filtered by Tier, so i don't have to tell primary school to add their absences late in the day so as not to affect the upper school cover. The downside is that we have to first go and allocate all staff to a tier in the staff section, it only automagically picked up the senior managers, i.e. head and deputy heads, from the pastoral structure. unless this error is tied to the issue in pastoral structures. Also in this version it's not affecting historic data even if i create new absence historically, but that's fine. Current stuff works and prints separately.

If any Capita lurkers are listening, then please add this filter to the missing registers homepage panel, please...

The other nice little treat is the ability to bulk change result sets in marksheets. don't need to use my script anymore !
    The only slight issue is, you have to plan how you need it, as it does a blanket change across the whole marksheet, so if you want to progress a marksheet by a year or term, start with the last resultset and work your way back down. Do it in the wrong order and they all end up the same, but that's just common sense really.

30-11-2011-13.01.01.png

Thank Post
    The results are in, and patches are being sorted. The latest notification on the pulled release:

*** SIMS 2011 Autumn Release - Please Read 01/12/2011

01/12/2011
    We have concluded our investigations into the issues with the SIMS 2011 Autumn release and can confirm that two issues were present
    1. The upgrade could change the pastoral structure of the school if a registration group has historically been in a different year.
      If this has affected you we can now confirm that it is safe to correct your pastoral structure within the SIMS software. A Knowledge Base Solution is being put together containing the details on how to do this and will be published here when it is complete. If you are unsuccesful in correcting the pastoral structure yourself please escalate this to us for further investigation
    2. The Registration certificate will display an incorrect address for a student if the student either had no contacts or their primary contact had no address.
      A Patch will be created for this and its ID number will be published.
    We will be releasing a new SIMS 2011 Autumn Release (Autumn 3) with these issues resolved by Monday the 5th December. Customers can upgrade to this release from the SIMS 2011 Spring, Summer and previous Autumn releases.
    Please be aware however that if you do upgrade to this new release (Autumn 3) from either of the two previous Autumn releases that whilst the Registration Certificate Issue will be resolved, you will still need to correct your pastoral structure if it has been incorrectly modified.

Once again, we apologise for any inconvenience that this may have caused,

Regards,
    Jonathan Wood

14. Thanks to vikpaw from:

CAM (1st December 2011)

Thank Post
    *** SIMS 2011 Autumn Release 3 - Now available

An updated version of the SIMS 2011 Autumn release has been made available via SOLUS to
    1) Correctly maintain the pastoral structure upon upgrade
    2) Correctly display the addresses in a registration certificate where the student has a primary contact with no address

We would recommend that all customers upgrade to this release. Customers can upgrade from the SIMS 2011 Spring, Summer or previous 2011 Autumn releases to the SIMS 2011 Autumn 3 release.

Thank Post
    apologies if this has already been mentioned but I cannot find any reference to it.

Are SLG users able to install the autumn update? We usually have to wait for Capita to update SLG before we can update sims but since the autumn was withdrawn I have not heard anymore about SLG ...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast