+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, XML to DOC/PDF (Indidual Reports from ASM) in Technical; @HanLouTay - Using notepad++ should be fine, i use that all the time, and you can do a saveas vbs ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,157 Posts
    @HanLouTay - Using notepad++ should be fine, i use that all the time, and you can do a saveas vbs file type. Also, it will colour the code to make it easier to understand and edit.

I think as @LosOjos said, it's most likely being blocked by spybot / the teatimer - monitors registry access mostly, but could be triggered generally as it's an unsafe file type. You should be able to mark it as safe or put it on the ignore list if you have access to the settings.

Sometimes the location of the file makes a difference, try running it from your desktop and if not, then the C drive, sometimes running it from the network can give odd results.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Any time
    Mr genius!! May I call on your powers again!!? I wonder if you could make this script do the opposite, turning XLS to XML!!?

Forever grateful!

T

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,183 Times in 810 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tben2505 View Post
    Mr genius!! May I call on your powers again!!? I wonder if you could make this script do the opposite, turning XLS to XML!!?

Forever grateful!

T
    It's theoretically possible to write a script that would convert this back to XML, but may I ask what you're hoping to achieve?

The reason I ask, is that there's very little I can think of that you can do with the XML file once you have it...

Thank Post
    Owing to staff using macs, and file association issues which I frustratingly can't seem to get resolved, the XML files are not opening by default in Excel on macs.

If I can convert them to XLS, they will, by default, open in Excel. Then, if I can covert them back to XML, I can bath import them (you can't batch import XLS).

I know this is a rather laborious workaround - but some staff are really getting confused!!

Only if this is possible of course!

Cheers,

Tom

Thank Post
    I would have thought that a proper conversion back to XML would be really arduous, but a simple rename might be sufficient. You can import from spreadsheets but you'd have to manually match the columns. I'm pretty sure that you can just rename the xls to xml. I think i used to just copy and paste the data back into an original xml file if it ever went awry.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    I would have thought that a proper conversion back to XML would be really arduous, but a simple rename might be sufficient. You can import from spreadsheets but you'd have to manually match the columns. I'm pretty sure that you can just rename the xls to xml. I think i used to just copy and paste the data back into an original xml file if it ever went awry.
    Renaming them, although at first appears successful, returns the following error message after trying to import:

Assessment Manager Marksheets Import
    Date : 14/03/2012 08:45:23

File Name G and T Register10s.xml
    Invalid file
    File Name G and T Register11s.xml
    Invalid file
    File Name G and T Register12s.xml
    Invalid file
    File Name G and T Register13s.xml
    Invalid file
    File Name G and T Register14s.xml
    Invalid file
    File Name G and T Register15s.xml
    Invalid file
    File Name G and T Register8s.xml
    Invalid file
    File Name G and T Register9s.xml
    Invalid file

Thank Post
    @tben2505 what if you do a file save as to xml does that help any, because that is all the simple version of the script would be doing anyway.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,183 Times in 810 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    @tben2505 what if you do a file save as to xml does that help any, because that is all the simple version of the script would be doing anyway.
    You can't do that @vikpaw - each row and column has to be mapped to XML headings in order to save as XML from Excel; it's never that easy!

It is theoretically possible to write a script that will convert an XLS back to SIMS format XML, however it's a different story creating sheets that would import automatically back in to SIMS - you'd end up having to match the columns anyway.

The problem is that in each "formatted" marksheet (has to be formatted type for the fully automatic import) there are a couple of hidden rows inside the XML which contain aspect and result set ID's - it is these hidden fields that tell SIMS how to import the data back in. Without them, you're left having to match them up manually. Unfortunately, the initial conversion to XLS results in the loss of that data, meaning any conversion back to XML would still fail.

Sorry about that!

Thank Post
    Thats fine thanks for the replies guys!

Thank Post
    That's what I thought. So it's manual import. Unless you can get a macro / script to copy paste the data into an equally named .xml file.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12