+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Individual Reports in SIMS in Technical; Hi guys, I know there's an option to remove rows of a table that contain no results; but is it ...

Thank Post

Individual Reports in SIMS

Hi guys,

I know there's an option to remove rows of a table that contain no results; but is it possible to remove rows of a table that contain no specific result?

For example, I'm creating a table with every subject, after which target data is displayed (imported from spreadsheets). On every row is an Alis prediction, and (for efficiency reasons) every student has a Alis prediction (result) for every subject - even if they don't take it.

This means every row will feature an Alis prediction, even though I only want those with the target data to appear.

Is there a way to do this?

Cheers,

Tom

Thank Post
    Possibly too late for you.....
    We also have targets for all subjects, regardless of who follows a course.

In the marksheet template we have another target aspect that uses a formula to copy the original. As a result, only students who are on the marksheet get the second target, this is the one we use in the individual report.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    @Ashton_Man
    You've hit the nail on the head, it's usually easier to open up subject based marksheets (or repeatedly apply filters) with that second column and copy paste over predictions so they only get it for subjects they do.

SIMS doesn't let you programatically remove rows. The hide rows option will work with the system of the students not having a prediction and it removes that line.
    @tben2505 When you say import from spreadsheets, do you mean marksheets, or are you doing some kind of scripting to pull in grades externally? If you're doing that, then you could do some more coding and perhaps achieve what you want.

It's probably not too late to make a new aspect for 'school' prediction, the benefit of this is, we would let teachers alter that prediction based on their experience. Usually only upwards - but in rare instances down. This means you retain the original prediction from the system you're using and can have a set of 'school' ones based on your own targets for a teacher, subject, school as a whole.

Thank Post
    I get what you mean guys - but allowing staff to alter predicted grades wouldn't sit so well at the moment - it's quite new that we're integrating them more so I think that would be too much too soon for them here!!

Thanks for you

Thank Post
    You don't have to let them do it, i'm just saying that's an additional benefit of cloning the calculated prediction. Cloning helps you out of your issue with filtering out subjects they don't study.

Thank Post
    I see, so clone the prediction in the subject-only marksheets into another column, and use THAT column as the prediction for reports?!

Yes... clever!

Thank Post
    Absolutely. So for example. Create a master template with all alis prediction columns and next to them the school prediction columns or whatever you want to call them. apply it to a year group. then filter for students of maths. copy alis maths prediction to school maths prediction. refilter recopy. it is a slow one, and could be done in a number of other ways, i.e. permanently put alis / school columns in all course / class marksheets then just flick through and copy paste. depends on if you want the final column to be read only or not.

Thank Post
    You can use the formula method and a separate aspect (or resultset, depending on how you've set things up), and make the formula read-only, so that staff CANNOT change the target, if that's what you want to do.

I use the same technique with an EQUALS formula to copy a KS4 FFT target into a subject-specific one; one of the great things about doing this, is that you can allow staff to enter a target for students who have no Alis data, but to have whatever they enter overwritted if there's Alis data available.

Best of both!

Or, you can just hide the formula column, and then it will copy the data to where you want it, but not allow any entry by staff.

9. Thanks to MattMitchell from:

vikpaw (6th March 2012)

Thank Post
    I like that idea of using a resultset.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread