+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS - Emailing Tutor's of a Student in Technical; Hi I have found out recently, that you can create a report in SIMS so that you can email all ...
    Thank Post

Wink SIMS - Emailing Tutor's of a Student

Hi

I have found out recently, that you can create a report in SIMS so that you can email all the tutors of a specific student, so that ALL STAFF don't get an email about something that has nothing to do with them.

I have created a report, with Students Name & Reg > Class Teacher Name > Teacher Emails Address (Filtered so that you can select a specific student) I run this into an excel document, and was told I need to do something in excel to get the group of email addresses of the tutors into outlook...... can't seem to figure this.

Sorry if this make no sense.

Hay

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    which version of outlook?

From Memory Outlook 2003 is file - import - from another program then find the file and import following the options - see here Import contacts from Excel to Outlook - Outlook - Office.com

from outlook 2007/10 see here How to import contacts into Outlook from Excel

Thank Post
    It will be Outlook 2010

Everyone has the school email address book in there Outlook, I was trying to find an easy way to email just the tutors of a specific student, and not having the email sent to ALL STAFF as 90% of staff don't teach this student. I have managed to create a report that gives me the Name & Email address on the teacher for a specific student, I just wondered if there was an easy way of getting these email address from excel to outlook "TO BOX" (When writing an email) instead of having to look each teacher up.

Or I am open to suggestions on how to email Just the teachers of a specific student.

Hope this makes sense

Thank Post
    ah ok - so you don't mean just as a one off? create a distribution list?

Not sure if its possible without some sort of third party application which makes it.

There is sims intouch which can intergrate sims messaging and forward all emails to exchange (but it costs)

Thank Post
    Yeah just as a one off - for example:- Joe Bloggs - Nan died last night...... as an example and you want to let all his tutors know to keep an eye on him. (You don't need to send this to ALL STAFF) but I wondered if there was a way of getting his tutors email address quickly, instead of looking them up one by one, I have got the report in SIMS that does this, but don't know how to get them into outlook, without looking the tutors up one by one, fro mthe address book.

Thank Post
    Yes You want to pull the report will all the staff email addresses and then import them into outlook using the following method - you can then create a distrbution group in your personal outlook called maybe Joe Bloggs Tutors

If you are importing into an existing Contacts folder, skip to step 4.
    Create a new folder in Outlook 2010
    Right-click the Contacts folder, click New Folder, type a name for the new folder, and then click OK.
    Click the File tab in the Ribbon, and then click Open on the menu.
    Click on Import tab. The Import and Export Wizard opens.
    If the file that is displayed is not the correct file, click Browse , browse to the folder that is mentioned in step 3, and then double-click the file to select it.
    If you are importing into a new folder, the Options settings are irrelevant because there are no duplicates. If you are not importing to a new folder, choose the most logical selection. Click Allow duplicates if you are not sure, and then click Next .
    Click the Contacts folder or another contacts-type folder that you have created, and then click Next.
    If you are not sure that the column names in the first row of the spreadsheet will map correctly to the Outlook fields, click Map custom fields to verify them.

Thank Post
    But this seems a lot of hassle just for maybe a one off.......

Thanks for the help though

Thank Post
    yup it is actually fairly straight forward though - the other option is just to copy all the email addresses from the spreadsheet and copy into the to field

Thank Post
    I purchased Mailfinder 2 Years ago and never looked back (Mail Finder) I just have it set as a scheduled task on a web server and staff just go to it and type in the students name and bam, all the teachers selected.

Thank Post
    The short answer would be to tell them to copy and paste the list of address into Outlook.

I believe InTouch would do it fine and probably SchoolComms but both of these require a purchase. I had a quick look at unsing Macro's in Excel to pass the list to Outlook. It didn't work in the quick method I tried but I didn't put much effort in. It would need a bit more research.

Just found this if it's any use...
    I'd start thinking along the lines of
    Sims Report to ==> Excel Sheet. Custom template to copy the data from the output to your master mail sheet. Then a box to type the message and a big "Go" button to send the mail.
    Last edited by Stuart_C; 5th November 2011 at 12:38 PM.

Thank Post
    We are starting to use schoolcomms

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayleywow View Post
    We are starting to use schoolcomms
    You could be able to do it through that ill test on monday

Thank Post
    You can do it thru schoolcomms, but then you have to search for the tutors one by one.

I'm sure a school near ours, runs a report in SIMS to find the information, and export to excel, and then excel imports into outlook, and the email addresses appear without having to type them in, write your message and send, then only the tutors of that specific student has been emailed

I think its obviously down to Macros, maybe I need abit of a lesson in them, to figure it

Thank Post
    I can't remember what's in schoolcomms but isn't there a box for the parents and a box for the school members related to the student (though I'm suggesting this from memory which is always a danger)

Thank Post
    Yes it is possible to e-mail tutors associated with a particular student via Schoolcomms.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast