+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS - Emailing Tutor's of a Student in Technical; I have found another thread which is basically what I am trying to achieve http://www.edugeek.net/forums/mis-sy...ims-email.html Haven't been able to work ...
    Thank Post
    I have found another thread which is basically what I am trying to achieve SIMS - email?

Haven't been able to work out the Macros though yet

Thank Post
    Use InTouch - it has all the features of Schoolcomms but has the added ability to be run from most of the student focused modules of SIMS. If you are logging behaviour, reward, detentions etc you can email/SIMS message/text all contacts (staff, parents, students) involved and use templates as you would sending mail merged letters home. We have ours set up to use email by default so that all receiving staff get the messages about targeted students, late registers, emergency call outs etc, straight into their outlook. Have only had it a few weeks and there were issues to start with - its is fairly resource heavily is you already have a lot of home screen widgets configured in SIMS.

Ian

Thank Post
    I use command line reporter and excel to automate sending out weekly data to staff.
    part of the maco i use is:
    Code:
    Set OutApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
                    Set OutMail = OutApp.CreateItem(0)
                On Error Resume Next
                With OutMail
                    .To = Range("H1")'Cell of the to: persons email form tutor
                    .CC = Range("I1") & ";" & Range("J1") ' People being copied in i.e heads of year
                    .Subject = "Weekly BMR Data"
                    .Body = "enter body text here"
                    .Attachments.Add ("U:\sample file.xls)
                    .send 'Or use display to preview message first
                End With
    This creates the email based on values in cells H1 for the To feild and I1 & J1 for CC. Other macros filter the list/ data and graphs and save as .pdf. the attachment part of the above macro is set to include the created file (this stops staff breaking/playing with my sheet templates) to send to staff.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,466 Times in 1,218 Posts
    The simplest thing would be to copy the returned emails from excel into the To box, especially if this is mostly for one-offs. This does require that the emails are in SIMs, which we put in for all staff. Basically, as per the report i uploaded in the thread you found.<BR>
    If you are using schoolcomms, it does also do what you need as mentioned:

15-11-2011-16.59.46.png

So you have the Today's teachers of and All Teachers option, under the school members section.

The other thing you can do is to create a mailmerge report in SIMs, when you set up the mailmerge report, you have the option to select email as the output. There is a document somewhere on how to do this, i did it ages ago as a test. Then so long as you have email as a field in the report and it's in a certain place, when you run it, it will automatically mailmerge the results to email. I'm not sure if mailmerge is going to be very reliable on Office 2010 though as there have been issues.<BR>

I might investigate that macro'd report tomorrow. Which part of it didn't work for you? Did you get an error?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    I might investigate that macro'd report tomorrow. Which part of it didn't work for you? Did you get an error?
    Eventually got round to it. It works a treat. Dumping the work emails for staff who teach selected pupil into an outlook email ready for sending. Saves that manual step of copy pasting the names.

Must go and add some rep for that one.

Thank Post
    Just found that, as per the author, it's only going to work for staff with higher level access to SIMS, i.e. the staff contact info. As regular teachers don't have this, it doesn't quite fit the function.
    I've modified mine to bring back the first and last names and concatenate them. This when fed to Outlook, gets looked up in the global address book, and now works for any staff.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12