+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, PDA Addon for Facility in Technical; Hi All, We are looking at integrating PDAs for use with the PE staff to mark roll call in the ...

Thank Post

PDA Addon for Facility

Hi All,

We are looking at integrating PDAs for use with the PE staff to mark roll call in the changing rooms. One of the solutions we are considering is using the PDA add-on for Facility that will let them use a native interface to mark the registers (we tried using the normal desktop version of ePortal and the iPads just spat their dummy out!)

As I'm sure you guys know the add-on is quite pricey, so just looking to see if you guys have any experience using it and if there are any known problems before we go down the route of anther solution.

Cheers!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Does the PDA add-on actually work with things like iPads? The last time I saw it (which was a good while ago!) it was for Windows Mobile PDAs (of which they are now discontinued!). I've found most browsers on phone etc render ePortal fine, but clearly the iPad has an issue.

Maybe @michael2k6 knows a little more about it.

Thank Post
    Good point, never checked! We want to try to use iPads because they just turn on, no waiting around. I was hoping the PDA add-on gave us some sort of facility that renders the ePortal site in a PDA friendly style - unless its a native application for Windows PDA which would throw that solution in the bin...

Well ePortal renders fine, however obviously double clicking on the iPad zooms the thing in, so when we go to click the check box to input a registration code it just zooms in on the box itself - which prevents the whole system from working

Currently waiting on the guys from Serco to give us a ring back for a trial, just doing my homework before hand to check its actually worth even having the hassle of getting the trial in!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    It may have changed since I saw it and talked about it, I know Progresso has been designed to work with mobile devices as they have told us that a few times at events so I don't know how wide the Facility support will be as its quite an old product and the mobile tech has moved on

Thank Post
    Hi,

To my knowledge, the PDA version works by detecting windows mobile and renders a different set of pages based on the XML file settings in the eportal installation. As John says, this may have changed since I last looked at it, the sales team will be able to help you further I'm sure.

As an aside though, I just logged into eportal on my iphone and I see your point. I should say, Safari isnt supported - can you get firefox onto an ipad?

I've just tried it and I can still type the code into the box, so its a case of clicking in the box, typing L or O and clicking in the next one.
    Not sure if that's any good - it wouldn't be on a phone due to size, but it might be on the ipad.

Progresso is indeed very much mobile and built for those interfaces.

Mic @ Serco

6. Thanks to michael2k6 from:

brad82 (4th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by michael2k6 View Post
    Hi,

To my knowledge, the PDA version works by detecting windows mobile and renders a different set of pages based on the XML file settings in the eportal installation. As John says, this may have changed since I last looked at it, the sales team will be able to help you further I'm sure.

As an aside though, I just logged into eportal on my iphone and I see your point. I should say, Safari isnt supported - can you get firefox onto an ipad?

I've just tried it and I can still type the code into the box, so its a case of clicking in the box, typing L or O and clicking in the next one.
    Not sure if that's any good - it wouldn't be on a phone due to size, but it might be on the ipad.

Progresso is indeed very much mobile and built for those interfaces.

Mic @ Serco
    Yep that's the same situation we were in with the iPads. Not to worry ill keep it on the cards as a possible solution, progresso sounds promising so I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Typing each code became a bit clumsy after a while, even more so of a faff than trying to use a samsung galaxy tab to login to ePortal - if you ever want to challenge Job candidates that's definitely a good one!

Cheers guys

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread