+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11
MIS Systems Thread, Batch Import Formatted Excel Marksheets into SIMS? in Technical; Hi folks! Is this possible, or must they be done one by one? Cheers! Tom...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    89
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Batch Import Formatted Excel Marksheets into SIMS?

    Hi folks!

    Is this possible, or must they be done one by one?

    Cheers!

    Tom

  2. #2
    pubgrub277's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    84
    Thank Post
    4
    Thanked 17 Times in 10 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    Its how i get staff to do their student tracking at home. Bulk export and import of formatted sheets can be done through:

    Tools> performance > Assessment > System Utilities > Marksheets.

    Use the wizard to export or import to/from a directory you specify.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    89
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pubgrub277 View Post
    Its how i get staff to do their student tracking at home. Bulk export and import of formatted sheets can be done through:

    Tools> performance > Assessment > System Utilities > Marksheets.

    Use the wizard to export or import to/from a directory you specify.
    Has anyone ever had issues here whereby not all student' data from various spreadheets is imported, for seemingly no valid reason?

    Cheers

    Tom

  4. #4
    pubgrub277's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    84
    Thank Post
    4
    Thanked 17 Times in 10 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    are the results entered on the spreadsheet in the grade set assigned to the aspect in sims?
    You should get a report when the files finish importing with any values skipped or updated or added.

    I'd check that first.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    89
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Yeah cheers, it's a huge error report since it's about 100 files with about 20 kids in each and about 5 aspects.

    But it seems if I import manually (one by one) these omissions don't occur.

    Just wondered if anyone else had this issue.

  6. #6

    vikpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Saudi Arabia
    Posts
    5,969
    Thank Post
    673
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Rep Power
    350
    Quote Originally Posted by tben2505 View Post
    Yeah cheers, it's a huge error report since it's about 100 files with about 20 kids in each and about 5 aspects.

    But it seems if I import manually (one by one) these omissions don't occur.

    Just wondered if anyone else had this issue.
    Yes two years ago, it just wouldn't import the right row to the right student, but most was okay. Even one sheet at a time, it got jumbled for a couple of kids. Luckily the comment column had their name, so we just checked and swapped manually. It was only a test for a couple of teachers, so wasn't a biggie.
    I just don't trust it anymore, though do need it to import results.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    89
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Yes two years ago, it just wouldn't import the right row to the right student, but most was okay. Even one sheet at a time, it got jumbled for a couple of kids. Luckily the comment column had their name, so we just checked and swapped manually. It was only a test for a couple of teachers, so wasn't a biggie.
    I just don't trust it anymore, though do need it to import results.
    Rather frustrating then, that batch import requires you to manually check each sheet; thus completely and utterly undermining the functionality it's supposed to possess in the first place.

  8. #8
    pubgrub277's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    84
    Thank Post
    4
    Thanked 17 Times in 10 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    TBH i've never had anyone report that problem to me/ noticed it with our import. (very large imports so only ever check a small percentage)
    I think i might have to do an audit when i next run it in a few weeks time and check the import is OK.

  9. #9

    vikpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Saudi Arabia
    Posts
    5,969
    Thank Post
    673
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Rep Power
    350
    Some people still use it and never report any issues or at least don't notice, but once stung once, i'm wary of it. We don't really need it.
    To be fair, the process of reports should involve some proofing from the Head of Department, and if you are importing data, the teacher should at least cast their eyes over the data and agree that they are happy for it to go against their name. So the checking should be in place.
    I used it all the time 4/5 years ago, but when it went wrong, i figured it wasn't worth the hassle, plus we don't really need it that much.

  10. #10
    pubgrub277's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    84
    Thank Post
    4
    Thanked 17 Times in 10 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    To be fair, the process of reports should involve some proofing from the Head of Department, and if you are importing data, the teacher should at least cast their eyes over the data and agree that they are happy for it to go against their name. So the checking should be in place.
    Vikpaw, staff are asked to check after the import, however i fear that they will cast an eye over it and say "yes, some things there for everyone".
    I find my checks are more rigorous than our HOD or class room staff. it always amazes when it comes to writing reports and we always seem to and up with "Dave is working well and she is a pleasant student to teach!!"

    having seen that other people have had an issue i always like to check and make sure to remove any doubt.

  11. #11

    vikpaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Saudi Arabia
    Posts
    5,969
    Thank Post
    673
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Rep Power
    350
    @pubgrub277 - i'm with you there we have he/she issues too. At least if checking is part of your process and it goes wrong, you can blame them and don't need to do too rigorous a check.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. [SIMS] Import into sims.net diary
    By philjones2000 in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 9th March 2011, 10:57 AM
  2. Importing new aspect data into SIMS
    By MattMitchell in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21st May 2009, 08:30 PM
  3. Export/Import into SIMS Marksheets
    By Sleepmaster in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24th September 2008, 12:55 PM
  4. Import Staff into Sims.net via a CSV
    By stephen.loader in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14th January 2008, 11:32 AM
  5. Importing into SIMS Attendance
    By Jonsi in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 7th November 2007, 10:18 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •