+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS May Update Hell in Technical; Originally Posted by apeo Originally Posted by bishopsgarthstockton sims is been installed on all the teaching machines in the school ...

Thank Post

Re: SIMS May Update Hell

Quote Originally Posted by apeo
    Quote Originally Posted by bishopsgarthstockton
    sims is been installed on all the teaching machines in the school this summer. Is the any training i can do, i.e. a book
    Er you could try the pdf that come with sims, its pretty much what you learn if you go on a course anyway. Training for basic use is done in house here.
    would you be able to email the .pdf document to me please?

Thank Post

Kev

Just look for PDFs in the SIMS.net folder f the of the client PC
    Consider joining support.net ansd search documentation there.
    The solus site has release notes for last few software releases.

Thank Post

Ok cheers

Thank Post

I have been told to expect our SIMS May update this week as our lea gets the update from Capita and tests it and does someother stuff with it then puts it up for download But after seeing these post i might well try and put it off although i have got one member of staff asking when its going to be done as she needs it for the census or something i dont really pay attention. As soon as i here the word SIMS i turn off and just keep nodding. I then refer them to one of members of staff who spends all day everday just in sims! Who will normally then log a call with our SIMS helpdesk.

Dan

Thank Post

Sims is getting installed on 39 teaching machines in the summer holidays. Im not looking forward to all the problems we are gonna have..... rubishnes

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DSapseid
    I have been told to expect our SIMS May update this week as our lea gets the update from Capita and tests it and does someother stuff with it then puts it up for download But after seeing these post i might well try and put it off although i have got one member of staff asking when its going to be done as she needs it for the census or something i dont really pay attention. As soon as i here the word SIMS i turn off and just keep nodding. I then refer them to one of members of staff who spends all day everday just in sims! Who will normally then log a call with our SIMS helpdesk.

Dan
    That is the exact same thing I do. I am not expected to know the insides of sims - just that it updates and runs.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

There was a PDF to introduce the new interface that was quite simple - I'll look it up for you.

Most of our staff can't read tho'... we had the provided training that comes wih lesson monitor and supplemented this ourselves with some inset training - y'know - the usual stuff - a powerpoint presentation talking about it very briefly, plus open sessions where staff could have a play with a test system. Only a handful turned up, plus all of the LSAs who've never had to use it since.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by DSapseid
    I have been told to expect our SIMS May update this week as our lea gets the update from Capita and tests it and does someother stuff with it then puts it up for download
    That should be standard practice across all LA's. Would you rather be the guinea pig that receives all the problems people have reported? I control updates for an LA and i always hold back on approving updates for a week or so to judge the reliability. If a school specifically requires the update then of course it will be approved for them but LA's only hold back because they are trying to protect their users.

Thank Post

Yep I liked the fact that we got the bug notification for the Registration time line before we got the update. Gotta love those SIMS testers. Oh we also loved the forced PDF that opens first time a user logs on with the whats updated guff. Apparently LEAs voted this option in. When we replied that it maybe great for the LEA to know, it was a pain for every teacher to get that coming up when they were trying to register first lesson. That doesn't matter as LEAs voted it in. GAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

@localzuk: You're updater script can I ask what it does and how it failed. We had a very basic Beyondexec script that shoudl have worked through every teachers computer, starts SIMSLoad to get the update and thats it. Before it needed no user intervention, could be run at the logon screen remotely and was wonderful. This time it would not work at all. Running the shortcut forced it to work but our script just wouldn't. Wondered if it was related.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey
    @localzuk: You're updater script can I ask what it does and how it failed. We had a very basic Beyondexec script that shoudl have worked through every teachers computer, starts SIMSLoad to get the update and thats it. Before it needed no user intervention, could be run at the logon screen remotely and was wonderful. This time it would not work at all. Running the shortcut forced it to work but our script just wouldn't. Wondered if it was related.
    The reason it failed was because the SQL server had gone loopy and someone was still logged into sims at 5am in the morning...

The script is pretty basic, it downloads the updates and runs them. Nothing fancy really.

The workstations update themselves automatically via simsload.

Thank Post

The registration period not showing in the timeline is an unfortunate error which I very much regret because I can imagine the problems that it caused immediately after the update. It wasn't the testers fault, it was human error that occurred in the final build stage. We are changing our source control system at the next release because it should pick up this type of error.

We have debated issuing a new executable but the June release is due on 15th June and it does contain some important changes to meet the autumn census. A re-release would cause a delay and we believe that there are adequate workarounds available.

I'm not sure who said that LAs wanted the information screen but it was our decision to do it. I think this is a no win because we want people to know what is in a release as there are usually significant improvements that are designed to make things easier for people. However I can certainly understand that if an update has taken a few minutes you don't have the time to read through the notes before taking the register.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal
    The registration period not showing in the timeline is an unfortunate error which I very much regret because I can imagine the problems that it caused immediately after the update. It wasn't the testers fault, it was human error that occurred in the final build stage. We are changing our source control system at the next release because it should pick up this type of error.

We have debated issuing a new executable but the June release is due on 15th June and it does contain some important changes to meet the autumn census. A re-release would cause a delay and we believe that there are adequate workarounds available.
    Well Edugeek wins out again. Thanks for the explaination. It is good to know the whys and wherefores sometimes
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal
    I'm not sure who said that LAs wanted the information screen but it was our decision to do it. I think this is a no win because we want people to know what is in a release as there are usually significant improvements that are designed to make things easier for people. However I can certainly understand that if an update has taken a few minutes you don't have the time to read through the notes before taking the register.
    We phoned up our county support team and they told us it was a voted change request. The problem we have with it, besides the time and teacher inconvienience, is that you all ready get the PDF whats new docment (not the fancy branded one) and that means we can look through and work out what the staff need to know or would find useful and then release that with training. It just means that the teachers get continuity from day to day (we had got it at one point that teachers wouldn't have know about an update unless omse major cosmetic change had happened) and we can realase training as they want and need it. Not wanting to sound condescening but some teachers do get very confuddled with a slight change so if you can break it gently to them with a warm cup of tea and a biscuit (ok that is condescending) then it goes smoother.

Thank Post

The problem for SIMS is that what works for one school doesnt for another. I think alot of my primary schools would appreciate some form of update information upon first login. However perhaps the delivery of this information does need fine tuning. Perhaps just a large message on the homepage offering a link to the PDF the first time they login after upgrade would be sufficient.

RE: Voted change requests - Anyone with a supportnet account can vote for change requests.

14. Thanks to the.damon from:

THERADIOTUBBY (26th June 2008)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12