+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS report issue Showing each house point. Need help urgently please! in Technical; Hi We record house points (Behaviour Points) through SIMS and i need to run a report to give me a ...

Thank Post

SIMS report issue Showing each house point. Need help urgently please!

Hi

We record house points (Behaviour Points) through SIMS and i need to run a report to give me a total number of house points for students awarded between 5th September 2011 and 31st July 2012. Each time i run a report i get an output like this below. Is there anyway to remove the duplicate names so i have one row per name with the total house points this year?

Screen Shot 2011-10-28 at 19.55.15.png

The 2 is the correct number of house points for this academic year.

Need this one urgently as we need to update staff and students on Monday.

Thanks guys.

Thank Post
    Think the names are repeated the same number of times as the total number of house points they have received since we started awarding them 2 years ago if that helps. cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,306 Times in 1,088 Posts
    There is something not quite right with your report, there are a number of reports that have been uploaded to SupportNet that help with this sort of thing and also i think quite a few are now built in as well.
    For a quick fix, untick the Suppress Duplicates, so you get Joe Bloggs repeated down the list. Then you can use the Auto-Filter, Sub-totals, or even a Pivot Table in Excel. All of which should summarise the data for that student. Hope is sort of what you're after.

4. Thanks to vikpaw from:

tj2419 (29th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    There is something not quite right with your report, there are a number of reports that have been uploaded to SupportNet that help with this sort of thing and also i think quite a few are now built in as well.
    For a quick fix, untick the Suppress Duplicates, so you get Joe Bloggs repeated down the list. Then you can use the Auto-Filter, Sub-totals, or even a Pivot Table in Excel. All of which should summarise the data for that student. Hope is sort of what you're after.
    Thanks for the response. How would i get it so it displays each students name and the total house points next to them so
    Joe Bloggs 2
    Jane Doe 6 (This name on a new row etc)

THanks

Thank Post
    Hi i have solved it. I used your method of not suppressing duplicates. Then using the advanced filter feature hid some columns and removed duplicates based on the fields left. Thanks for your help VikPaw!

Thank Post
    Well, because the report is chucking out data you dont want, to fix it it's just a case of pick your weapon, from manually removing the duplicates to using some built-in functions.
    Assuming that you now have joe bloggs, repeated down the list and jane doe etc. you can in Excel 2007 (might be different terms in 2010, and probably easier):

Remove Duplicates which is on the Data menu, select the name and year as values to compare on.

Click on SubTotal on Data menu, and parameters such that At each change in Name, use function Average, and select the add subtotal to Count. This will keep your data but gives you the option to hide it. The sheet will be grouped, with little pluses and minuses on the left. Allowing you to close the groups and only show the subtotal lines. This requires that the list is sorted by name.

Similar option is to Insert a Pivot Table from the Insert menu. Drag the Names to Row labels box, or left hand side of table. Drag the Count to the values box, or middle of the table. You'll then need to edit the field for values, or right click on the field, and change the formula to Average, not the default SUM.

Which report are you using to produce this data, i would suggest you try another, or download one of the ones from SupportNet as this should eliminate the need to manually edit the data.

Thank Post
    No sorry i got it wrong. It was counting up the instances instead of the values in the cells e.g. there were 5 rows for a student but one of the rows had 2 house points so the value should be 6 and not 5 :S

Thank Post
    How can i get it to total the house points awarded this academic year. I have got the year filter but can't see how i get it to total house points instead of showing individual points awarded? Cheers

Thank Post
    Can you not do this in Sims Discover?

I have only played in discover for a very short period of time just to check that data was coming through correctly but seem to remember behaviour and achievements were part of this software.

Thank Post
    I'm fairly new to sims so sims discover is a whole new world. I'll have a look though. Thanks

Also managed to get the output i needed. Was using the wrong points option when creating the report. Still need to use some functions in excel to delete duplicates but getting there.

Cheers

Thank Post
    The other thing that you should look at are the home page panels - one of these shows achievements/behaviour year to date today etc. It can be customised for a tutor, year or house head depending on the group of children you are interested in.

Thank Post
    Have a look on SupportNet there are loads of reports on there. You can try and create your own from the Conduct Area, but it will be easier to use one that has been tried and tested already. There are two that seem to be popular uploaded under file sharing as file #s 859 and 871.
    SupportNet

Thank Post
    I have registered for support net but it takes 24-48 hours to become active so will try those reports Monday hopefully! Cheers

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Attached image of how I've a report set up which seems to do what your after.

Bascially, from the student details under Conduct, there's an option which is Total Achievement Points which seems to be automatically filtered on the current academic year.

sims-achieve-points.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    When i use a report like the one you have posted the total points column is blank :S ANy ideas? Cheers

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast