+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Finance software for Academies in Technical; Originally Posted by Soulfish Our FD purchased PSFinancials having used corero at her last Academy. She's really liking PSFinancials and ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    Our FD purchased PSFinancials having used corero at her last Academy. She's really liking PSFinancials and says that it's a lot better than the products she's used in the past, but has a bit of a learning curve. As a end user the web based PO system is great
    That PO System sounds exciting we are looking at a replacement for RM Financial and POs are a big issue for us currently so that sounds a nice thing.

Thank Post
    We have switched to PSFinancials from FMS.
    Finance team struggled like blazes but are getting to grips with it now after 5 months.
    Technically it can be a pain.
    I setup a new server for it, server2008R2 and PSF did the install and config. The web based bit aint to bad but the application can run slow as can doc emailer.
    Im currently testing it on 3 PC and 2 laptops to try and find out why its so slow and I havnt got a clue whats going on.
    Brand new server, nothing else running on it, brand new Vostro 3750 laptop that runs SIMs and FMS fine, PSF grind grind wait a few minutes.
    Click on a drop down and wait 30 seconds and get a not responding message. PSF seem to have stopped talking to me now as I dont get a response to my emails.

All those years I hated FMS and right now I would chew my right arm off to have it back and yes the new FMS does do VAT and all the rports mentioned above.
    Our local LA SIMs support team say loads of people are thinking of going back to FMS or already have but then I suppose they would say that.
    GOOD LUCK and if it aint broke dont fixit especially when it will cost you well over 20,000 in the first year.

3. Thanks to Grumpy from:

PhilNeal (8th February 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    We are likely to be heading down the Corero route as its integration with systems we use / will be using, such as Serco Progresso is a great feature

Thank Post
    Not looked into it in much detail yet, but our early indications are to move away from FMS to Corero too.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    Around 60% of academies have stayed with FMS because it's once less thing to complicate an already complicated process. With dust settling, a year down the line we are now reviewing what is best. We might stay with it. We might not.

Academies don't get a deal on SIMS and FMS through the LA and have to watch every penny they spend... so shopping around in inevitable and Capita will be foolhardy if they assume they won't change.
    If you are watching the pennys then PSF wont help that situation as its much more expensive than FMS etc. Give me back FMS everyday as I have had nothing but trouble with PSF and its been ongoing since Sep 2011 with no resolution in site. Start at 25k and keep going upwards.

Thank Post
    Problem with moving from a system such as FMS is not only the amount of time it's going to take to adjust and train on new system, but can any data be transferred across too? What happens if you need access to records from FMS?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    But can any data be transferred across too? What happens if you need access to records from FMS?
    You open FMS. You wouldn't want to fix the Academy and LA school accounts anyway as they are completely different setup.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    You open FMS. You wouldn't want to fix the Academy and LA school accounts anyway as they are completely different setup.
    I guess what I was getting at is will that still work, even if you choose not to go with FMS anymore? Does the LA license become null and void for your site?

Thank Post
    The data is regarding an LA school. When you access it (I'm hoping only a read-only copy too) you are acting as a LA school. My argument anyway.

Thank Post
    True, but whether it'll work like that is a different matter? The LA aren't going to keep a license sitting there for you just so you can open your data are they?

Thank Post
    LA owes the license as I understand it, doesn't need to be upgrade. Plus your LA will need to run down your old system anyway for VAT etc. Plus then you enter the whole legal financial data retention, if Capita say you can't they would be legal required to provide a way of exporting all the required data, which lets face it, isn't going to happen.

I wouldn't select FMS as your Finance system because of historical data, when you become an Academy is the perfect time time to move. Personally stick with FMS because it's the best solution for the finance team and the Academy. Not for technical reasons. Capita will one day sort them all out (and most likely release a newer version with more holes to fill)

Thank Post
    We use PS financials across 22 academies, works ok.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,496 Posts

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,307 Times in 1,089 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    I'm currently looking at third party solutions, not necessarily to replace FMS, but just to do other things that we currently can't or don't want to do on FMS. e.g. they want to do quick receipting without entering all details into Fees / FMS first, manage trip money, and other, random monies.

I'm looking at School Fund Manager from Pebble, and recently came across these others Innovate My School - Financial / Accounting Software from which you have Corero on your list, perhaps only Pearson is a fully fledged package not on your list.

The other option i suppose is to go the SAGE route, not sure how much cheaper or complex that is.

If anyone has already reviewed them and knows the differences please share.

16. Thanks to vikpaw from:

elsiegee40 (28th February 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I guess it is all a changing landscape now, Academies are more responsible than ever for the budgets and financials. SAGE is the market leader in Financial Management Systems so it must be doing something right.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast