+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS in the Medical Room in Technical; Does anyone use SIMS to log medical incidents? We currently have a logbook but I'm just updating the list of ...

Thank Post

SIMS in the Medical Room

Does anyone use SIMS to log medical incidents? We currently have a logbook but I'm just updating the list of pupils with medical conditions and it seems to be getting longer! A system that flags up know conditions would be a great help. I may just knock something up in Access.

Thank Post
    Yes we do! We use the "Medical Events" part of SIMS - we moved from an antiquated access database

3. Thanks to rh91uk from:

laserblazer (14th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Yes we do.
    The problem is staff remembering to do it!
    Our Medical Conditions list is massive as well!

5. Thanks to Sivadam from:

laserblazer (14th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    We've used it extensively for a number of years. The clinic staff are the only ones who update it though.
    We're just moving to listing loads more conditions because it isn't easily reported on if you put a generic category and then put more info in the notes, as the notes area is linked to multiple other areas.
    Our events and inspection lookups are all quite expanded as well.
    It's really useful to be able to run reports on a student or class/year and see how many events/inspections etc. there have been. Also to see a daily, weekly list of the visitors going to the clinic.

7. Thanks to vikpaw from:

laserblazer (15th October 2011)

Thank Post
    That's interesting @vikpaw. So can you select conditions and treatment from a dropdown menu and would it be able to produce a standard letter addressed to the parents?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    That's interesting @vikpaw . So can you select conditions and treatment from a dropdown menu and would it be able to produce a standard letter addressed to the parents?
    Yes, you can create lookups for medical conditions, and also for events, you have a types lookup, which has a linked table of descriptions.

So for example, we have a student with an 'Allergy to nuts', listed as a condition. A typical event would be 'Medical Inspection' with a sub description of 'Respiratory'. Other events might be 'Accident' -- with 'head trauma', 'abrasion', 'fracture', etc.

We don't produce letters, but i have a number of reports that pull the information out, so there's no reason why you can't create a mailmerge report out, to a letter / email. Or just to excel and do what you like. The only caveat being the notes section is very general, so we used to use it, but now are trying to limit it as it doesn't tie strongly with the linked event/condition etc. Also, on apps such as emerge, you don't get the notes, only conditions, so we're expanding conditions to be more comprehensive.

One report, is a class conditions list, which each form tutor can run if they wish and see what conditions exist for their students. In primary this is great as it's a fixed group of students.

10. Thanks to vikpaw from:

laserblazer (15th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rh91uk View Post
    Yes we do! We use the "Medical Events" part of SIMS - we moved from an antiquated access database
    We do as well. Staff at our Medical Centre (we have boarders as well as day-students) use the Medical Events section rather like a doctor's surgery to note every consultation. The only proviso they had, though, was that they did not wish teachers to see this information in case it was considered inappropriate. We cracked this by setting up our own Class Teacher access group which restricted this access. There is, however, a UDF, called 'Quick Medical Note', immediately under the 'Quick Note', which is used to flag urgent and important medical information on a student.

This system has worked well for over a year now. The medics mark their entries as 'Confidential', so that only they can read them in the Linked Documents.

12. Thanks to Top_Cat from:

laserblazer (4th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Do the staff not want to see what each has written? That's the reason we don't use confidential. There needs to be a confidential group.

Thank Post
    You are quite correct, Vik. The Medical Staff (Nurses etc) have their own SIMS User Group. If an event note is marked 'Confidential', all members of that group can read it. If one of the users marked the status as 'Private', then only that user could read it. 'Public', of course, would mean every SIMS user can read it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    You are quite correct, Vik. The Medical Staff (Nurses etc) have their own SIMS User Group. If an event note is marked 'Confidential', all members of that group can read it. If one of the users marked the status as 'Private', then only that user could read it. 'Public', of course, would mean every SIMS user can read it.
    Sorry, what i meant was that we don't use confidential, because it's also available to School Administrator and SMT Groups, which could be okay, but isn't the best way to do it. If it's private medical info, they only want it to be seen by medical staff and that's not possible at the moment. Using private isnt helpful because they need to see things amongst them.

Forcing an explicit deny for those groups on medical items could do the trick, but i don't think sysman handles deny permissions.

Thank Post
    Hmmm. We use entirely local access groups, not the standard ones provided in SIMS. This is because there were too many special requirements, such as teachers having access to all Profiles, all Staff routines below 'Basic Details' being only visible to the Personnel Department and all medical information being restricted to Medical Staff, to mention just three!

I don't think anyone can see documents posted by Medical Staff. It was agreed that some administrative staff would need access and this was achieved by making them members of the Medical Officer group.

I may be wrong, and your message will make me go and check (as soon as the ICT Team have got SIMS working - the Autumn upgrade went wrong this morning!)

Thank Post
    I inherited a system with entirely custom groups, so when i eventually put on Summer 11, i'll take advantage of the new features in sysman7!
    We do use some built in groups though, and by default those i mentioned have access to confidential. I may look into moving people out of those built-in groups by cloning them, so i can remove the access to medical, which will then do what we want.
    I think you'll be alright, so long as you don't use the built-in groups. The only reason i tend to avoid them is that long term it's harder to support and troubleshoot. I guess if you have really good documentation then it's okay, but i received none, so just keep things ticking over, loosely as they were.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread