+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS report display/export issues in Technical; When previewing a report, in the AddressBlock field I'm getting two little black vertical lines to delimit the parts of ...

Thank Post

SIMS report display/export issues

When previewing a report, in the AddressBlock field I'm getting two little black vertical lines to delimit the parts of the address. Attached a jpeg to show you what I mean.

On export, SIMS or Excel decides to then use these markers to wrap the text into the next cell, which is not how it used to be or what we want. It works fine on one old system (a laptop) but on all other machines with newly installed/upgraded SIMS, these black lines appear.

Any ideas? :-(

Nick Davies
    ICT Technician, St Ambrose College
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post

Re: SIMS report display/export issues

Well in most cases you would want those because it formats the address correctly in word etc. The black lines are specified by the different address entry fields such as Street or County. If you just want one cell then use AddressLine instead of the block.

Thank Post

Mmmm.. we want the full address, in one cell, as happens on the one remaining working system without these black dots. These black dots are new to us and seem to wrap data into cells in Excel on export.

Are you saying these dots are standard, and to be expected as the norm? It's just that none of our own reports will function in the way they used to anymore because it.

AddressLine seems to add a United Kingdom to everything as well, throwing out the label size....still if it means a global replace with blank as a workaround, it might well be the answer.

Thanks

Thank Post

Yep it didnt used to be a problem in excel as far as i remember. I think it was either Dec or March that the problem started. I usually use word based templates so I can't be sure as to when it changed. Its possible to include macro's in your excel templates so the report could be setup to find and replace automatically.

Thank Post

Well we had just recovered from a server failure and had installed March sims as fresh, so I guess that narrows it down!!

Find and Replace in Excel works a treat so I'll guess I just write a macro for the admin staff to use.

Thanks for your help.

Thank Post

That explains why i've only been asked about it recently! Its such a pain to have to edit reports due to sims upgrades but I guess it comes with the territory

Thank Post

I'm leaning towards it not being a SIMs issue now....logging on to the known good machine with other users accounts doesn't bring up the problem. Logging onto the known-bad machines with the good-machines' regular user account has the problem...Confused? I am...It seems to be machine specific, which I could understand if these weren't brand new machines!!!

Thank Post

Perhaps an office update that has caused the problem. Is the good machine on the same build of excel?

Thank Post

Yep, Office Pro 2003 Same build , following Capita's only remaining advice, I uninstalled Office on a known-bad machine and re-booted. No change in the problem.

Copied all fonts from the good machine to the bad problem. No change in the problem..

Can't work out what it going on unless HP have stuck something on these machines which is causing this display of carriage return characters..

hopefullly capita might look into it more..

Thank Post

After a long look at this problem, I found the solution.

Problem

On some machines, SIMS.net display two square boxes on report previews and on export it drops the AddressBlock data into separate cells in Excel.

Cause

The workstation is missing certain Unicode fonts, required to translate the carriage return character into something it actually understands. When it doesn't, it shows a little square box. Newly set up machines with XP appear not to have this checked by default.

Solution

Go to Control Panel >> Regional and Language Options >> Languages tab. Ensure the bottom two check boxes under the "Supplemental language support" are checked. Although this install additional support for Thai and East Asian characters, it installs the right font for correct Unicode translation.

Thank Post

wahey! Good work nick!

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hello, sorry to bring up an old thread from the depths of time, but it's the only one I have found on Search for this issue. We are experiencing this exact problem on all Windows XP systems and the only one that the Address Block works on is a Windows 2000 system. I have attempted to install the language options above and the lines disappear but when exporting to Excel, it still puts each address line on a new row. Checking Regional and Language Settings shows both boxes as ticked.

Is there another step I need to do afterwards to resolve the problem?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Hello, sorry to bring up an old thread from the depths of time, but it's the only one I have found on Search for this issue. We are experiencing this exact problem on all Windows XP systems and the only one that the Address Block works on is a Windows 2000 system. I have attempted to install the language options above and the lines disappear but when exporting to Excel, it still puts each address line on a new row. Checking Regional and Language Settings shows both boxes as ticked.

Is there another step I need to do afterwards to resolve the problem?

Thanks

Definitely using English United Kingdom for language, keyboard options etc?

Thank Post
    Something is broken in sims. Only in the last few months has it started exporting blank fields with some weird space character. It's already broken all my mail merge templates.

It's also different for individual students/addresses.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My laptop (no network image) is set to English UK Location, Language and Location and I'm using that to test the fix. Another desktop system running a network image also continues to suffer the problem.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast