+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, How many staff support your MIS? in Technical; Just wanted to get some idea of how many staff other schools dedicate to the day-to-day running of SIMS/Other MIS? ...

Thank Post

How many staff support your MIS?

Just wanted to get some idea of how many staff other schools dedicate to the day-to-day running of SIMS/Other MIS?

We've got:

- Admissions Sec
    - Timetabler (part time role - as is also Head of IT Teaching)
    - Curric coordinator (defines classes and pastoral structure)
    - MIS blokey - (everything else... marksheets, gradesheets, reports, etc.)

It seems to me that we're increasingly reliant on MIS blokey to get a lot of stuff done in SIMS.net and I've noticed a fair few job adverts flying around for data-input type people and dedicated assessment staff.

I'm just curious to see what other schools do.

By the way - we're independent and have approx 1,400 pupils.

Thanks,

A

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,306 Times in 1,088 Posts
    Registrar + assistant - manage all student / contact data from application to leaving
    Accountant + assistant, Fees clerk + assistant - all fees / finance stuff in FMS
    Timetabler (Dep. Head) / curriculum - NovaT6 and all course management and class allocations, with the help of admin staff
    Cover (Dep. Head) + assistant
    Personnel Officer
    Moi (SIMS Manager / MIS blokey) - Manage Assessment system, Report creation, Assist all the above and train and fix problems and deal with all third party apps / links and the intranet, SLG. Timetable input (created by someone else) for lower and middle schools, curriculum management for lower and middle schools.

I could use an assistant. I think there is a real need for schools to have data assistants to help the MIS blokey, so they can design and support the system, but the day to day drone work can be done by someone else. For small schools/systems the roles can be combined but at some point there is too much work for one person.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    For small schools/systems the roles can be combined but at some point there is too much work for one person.
    My thoughts exactly.

Thanks Vikpaw.

Thank Post
    We are an independent school with around 1700 students and we have from what i can think of
    Registrar and two assistants - manage all admissions of boys and applications
    2x Timetabler - NovaT6 and all course management and class allocations (Both are teachers as well)
    Cover / exams manager + 1 assistant
    Personnel officer - adding staff details etc
    Data Manager (2x part time) - 1 deals with marksheets and grades etc for reports, the other general data within SIMS.
    Server engineer deals with update to database and patches as and when required.
    Attandance officer + assistant - deals with attendance, contacting parents when student isnt in etc.

Hope that helps.
    I think thats about it TBH.

Thank Post
    Oh yes, forgot about that - i also maintain the server itself, from backups to upgrades. How could i forget that!
    We're a 1500 student school from creche through IB level.

Thank Post
    I completely forgot about Cover - we've got a dedicated cover person.

I do all of the server side stuff... that's about as far as my involvement goes with MIS!

Thank Post
    Too many to list, and we use both CMIS and SIMS.

Thank Post
    1) Me - Super_User inc. Sysman and Timetabler
    2) Exams/Cover Manager
    3) Personnel Manager
    4) Attendance Officer
    5) Receptionist and SIMS User (Input of general SIMS Data, Mail Merge Letters, FSM etc etc)
    6) Beh/Ach SIMs User (Input of general SIMS Data, Exclusions, Detentions etc) Part Receptionist
    7) Data Manager (AM7)
    8) Data Manager Assistant (Learning from above, who is trying to learn other roles from me!)
    9) Finance Officer
    10) Finance Assistant
    11) ICT Services Manager - The guy who knows SIMS tekkie stuff inside out!
    12) ICT Services 2
    13) ICT Services 3 (Both capable of installing SIMS etc and learning the rest of the tekkie stuff from the ICT Services Manager)

Obviously some of the above, especially 4 to 6 input into other areas. I calculate that we are 1.5 bodies short for the sorts of jobs that are listed in those lines. Currently one of our other Support Staff who has other responsibilites is trawling through and editing details following the return of Y7 Data Check Sheets. Y8 to Y11 to follow!
    ICT Services have many other duties to perform, obviously.
    Other staff help out as and when required but all data (apart from general details) are input directly into SIMS via Teaching or Classroom Support Staff either via Classroom Workstations, LapTops or SLG!

On Roll = 1020 ...ish!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,495 Posts
    To be honest every member of staff in the school maintains the MIS. We all input stuff whether it's registers and tracking data, or basic pupil information. Everything goes on the system

Our registrar does the donkey work work with getting the pupils set up. As we're a fee-paying school, the Bursar does a lot too. The Deputy Head is in charge of timetabling. The School secretary does all sorts and I'm the admin Super User (pulls on underpants over her trousers and opens jacket to reveal large letter S)

Thank Post
    we are serco facility cmis here, and the structure is 1 of 4 technicians to look after back end/server, then a data manager, an attendance officer, and two assistants who also deal with other school admin tasks. we have about 1200 students and 300 staff.

Thank Post
    1) Finance Administrator - FMS
    2) Finance Assistant (Part-Time) - Dinner Money & FMS
    3) Me - Office Manager
    - System Manager - Upgrades, backups etc.
    - Admissions and transfers
    - Pupil data - School Census
    - Key Stage Assessments & FSP's (SIMS & Target Tracker)
    - Attendance Officer - (marks input by me not in class) - Also Schoolcomms
    - Personnel - input of personnel data, production of contracts, Workforce Census

300 pupils. Primary School
    Last edited by GeeHubb; 13th October 2011 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Missed one!

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Secondary here, about 1200 kids. I am the SIMS bloke and go to guy for a broken SIMS, marksheet setups and general queries. My boss does the timetable, Options and numerous high level managerial bits. In general, all members of admin staff support the system in one way or another, ranging from Census to Exams. If someone doesn't have a SIMS task, it won't take long for them to find one...

Thank Post
    Thanks to everyone for your replies - it's been really useful to get a feel for how many staff most people have to support SIMS.

Cheers and Merry Friday.

Thank Post
    It seems that most schools have someone directly, or de facto MIS Manager, and some other people who use the system to a high degree and are involved in putting in / managing data for their area. This area often expands, as more people do things, and usage of the system expands. The MIS Manager may do technical duties or it may be a dedicated person.

I think what many schools forget is that at some critical point, based on the size of the school, number of users, and features used, this person needs an assistant, not just another mid-spec user, but an actual assistant whose sole task is to support the MIS manager.

There was a discussion similar to this some time ago on LinkedIn i think, usually, the MIS Manager role comes about through a need for assessment data and that is usually the biggest task, getting it set up and running, but people forget about the minor tweaks that need doing constantly, and how many hours of work that can be.

Thank Post
    I think the question should be around how many people's roles are served by the MIS.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast