+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Workstation upgrade in Technical; Since I have installed the march release all workstations are getting the following error upon trying to install sims manuals: ...
    Thank Post

SIMS Workstation upgrade

Since I have installed the march release all workstations are getting the following error upon trying to install sims manuals:
    The file 'S:\SIMS\OwnAAB.PDF' could not be opened. Please check that your disk is not full and that you have access to the destination directory. Access is denied.
    Sims updates are run at user logon and staff have full access to the SIMS folder, sims.ini file and also specific sections of registery. I have checked to make sure the files not corrupt, loads of space on both server drive and remote clients.

Thank Post

Re: SIMS Workstation upgrade

Try giving the users poweruser access to the machine does that help?

Also try running simsapplicationsetup.exe in the setups directory i find this fixes the odd issue i have after a patch.

Thank Post

Hi,

You will probably find running SIMSPERM.bat useful as this will set all the right permissions needed on the PC for Sims.net usage and installation of upgrades. We had similar problems to you when installing upgrades on workstations and laptops especially.

It is in the setups folder, I think you need to run it like the following if I remember correctly:

S:\SIMS\SETUPS\SIMSPERM DOMAIN\USERNAME or GROUP

Thank Post

@toby this has only just happend we have been running updates like this for 2.5 years all permissions are correct. It just seems to be this file.

Thank Post

ok then... it's just that for us sometimes workstation upgrades will work and sometimes not depending on the update. But since doing what I suggested before we have had no issues at all. It has made mine and my technicians lives a lot easier when we have over 100 laptops connecting to SIMS.net each day and people start moaning when the updaes don't work!

Thank Post

Paul,

seems very weird this. Have you tried deleting the original s:\sims\OwnAAB.pdf
    and then re-run s:\sims\setups\SIMSManualSetup.exe [Edit should have said this is on a client but you probably guessed that]

Thank Post

@Woody yes thats what capita suggest but has no effect same error still occurs.

Thank Post

The May release is out now. Hopefully they've sorted out the problem.

Thank Post

Ahh yes the notorious manual setup! I've had various issues with this one in the past but the first thing to check is whether you can delete the ownaab.pdf from s:\sims\ when logged on as the user. If you can then its worth doing a search for all *.pdf's in the sims dir and moving them to a subdir such as \PDF. Now run the manualsetup again and see if that completes. If it does, copy the previous PDF's back to S:\SIMS from the \PDF dir and ensure that you click NO if prompted to overwrite. This is required so that PDF's that are not part of manualsetup are restored. Finally, delete the PDF dir with its leftover contents.

If you cannot delete the simsown pdf from the users account then you need to pop on as administrator and reset the perms for the sims dir.

Although you may have deleted OwnAAB previously and thought it didnt work, it may have failed on OwnAAF.PDF but on first glance you thought it was the same file error? Any easy mistake to make as this one has tricked me in the past. Basically, the pathetic way that simsmanualsetup operates means that every workstation will try and update the S:\SIMS dir with the newest manuals when there is an upgrade. I think that the S:\SIMS PDF's should only be updated during the solus routine and subsequently the clients either update their own local store or just use the ones on the S drive! But alas this is not the case so we have to put up with the delete and retry method.

Thank Post

Dont really have user update sims here for the most part but have you tried the update logged in as administrator? If it works then you definately know its a permission thing.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread