+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, CMIS Upgrade to 2.81.8.0 in Technical; @Mark80 - who did this email come from?...
    Thank Post

Re: CMIS Upgrade to 2.81.8.0

@Mark80 - who did this email come from?

Thank Post

As downloads have to be obtained from the website, this is the obvious place to check on a regular basis for latest information etc etc

Thank Post

@btdt - but how often do you have to check if you are not expecting an upgrade.

Had I checked yesterday morning and seen the update and downloaded it and installed it I probably would not now check for another week, the fact that this page at some point late yesterday would suggest that this means I have to check it two or three times a day regardless of whether I am expecting an upgrade or not.

And to know whether there is anything new on the page you have to know what was there before to compare it to it. There is a date of release - but in this case that would not have helped as the pafe was updated on the same day.

It is just too clumsy a method for something so important - especially when we are left with as little time to do the upgrade as we have been on the last couple of occasions.

I know it is not the LEA's fault the release is so late and wrong - but the fact that nobody seems to know what is going on certainly could be.

Thank Post

@ Limbo this was from serco midlands support

you would of thought that you could sign up to a mailing list for changes to the downloads page :!:

Thank Post

@Mark80 - Thanks, I will have to find out whether I can get on their mailing list

Thank Post

no m8 i mean you would of thought they would of created the option for us to sign up to - i have not signed up to a mailing list i got this email after my manager was on the phone with Serco discussing the error code we had for the census

Thank Post

Yeah having some sort of "Sign up here for instant updates" type of thing, or even RSS would be better. Who wants to look at a static page every day "just in case"

Thank Post

We're a direct Facility school and get the emails directly.

Kyle

Thank Post

As soon as a problem had been identified with the 2.81.8 release (which only affects schools with Permanent Exclusions in the Spring Term) Link2ICT pasted a message on the downloads page of the website informing users of the issue.

We also contacted via telephone all schools who had been identified (by the Exclusions Team) as having Permanent Exclusions in the period in question to inform the Network Manager directly of the issue. It is clear in these circumstances that telephone communication is preferable to an email which may have been missed.

Schools had been informed via e-briefing, servicedesk telephone line messages and at numerous events over the last three months that there would be an upgrade required before the Summer Census could be returned.

We always listen to feedback from our users and welcome constructive comments.

Thank Post

@AndyCope - As I have already said - the notice on the downloads page is only any good if you have not already been and downloaded it.

Having placed a call with the helpdesk this morning I still do not know what the situation is with the upgrade i.e. whether I need to run it or not. I have not had a phone call from anyone so I am guessing not, but it is not totally clear.

This is the closest thing to clarification from the LEA that I have had so it is nice to know I can get a reply through EduGeek - even if I am still waiting for a reply from the LEA helpdesk.

Thank Post

@limbo - As my post - schools who we were aware could be affected by this problem were telephoned directly, therefore if you were not you shouldnt need to do a further upgrade. - Unless you have Perm exclusions in Spring Term.

I cant comment here on any support calls you may have logged but will look into it.

Thank Post

I think that the issue here is that not all the calls werent recieved. I for one wasnt notified. I agree a phone call would have been better than an email but if the call was never made/received email would have been a good back-up.

Thank Post

Isnt the issue here that not all schools are affected... so wouldnt have been called !?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by btdt
    Isnt the issue here that not all schools are affected... so wouldnt have been called !?
    But we were/are affected so should have been called.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by AndyCope
    @limbo - As my post - schools who we were aware could be affected by this problem were telephoned directly, therefore if you were not you shouldnt need to do a further upgrade. - Unless you have Perm exclusions in Spring Term.
    This sounds like a good solution - but your post on this forum is the only time anybody has said that this is what is happening - all the people who do not read this forum will probably still be confused as to what the situation is because only half the message has got out and in very inconsistent ways.

Is it really beyond the countries largest LEA to have a single, efficient and reliable system to notify people of what is going on (e-briefing is not bad - but not really quick enough in many situations).

Even if it is a simple as asking all the schools who wish to be kept up to date to create an email address cmis@ or Link2ICT@ - then if schools do not monitor and maintain this email address then that is their own stupid fault.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast