+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS + Student Documents in Technical; Does anyone know if you can scan in student documents and attach the pdf to the student record in SIMS. ...

Thank Post

SIMS + Student Documents

Does anyone know if you can scan in student documents and attach the pdf to the student record in SIMS. This would be for letters etc.

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgoodrich View Post
    Does anyone know if you can scan in student documents and attach the pdf to the student record in SIMS. This would be for letters etc.
    You can scan and attach virtually any file to a students details in various areas. You can also scan and attach directly from certain printers, via a login on the printer screen.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    You can scan and attach virtually any file to a students details in various areas. You can also scan and attach directly from certain printers, via a login on the printer screen.
    Thank you for this. How is it done?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgoodrich View Post
    Thank you for this. How is it done?
    In SIMS, there are various area that say Notes or Documents, you simply search the file and attach. It is then kept as an encrypted copy in Docstorage. there are many areas, such as SEN where you can attach documents/files. Save the relevant files to the corresponding areas.

From a printer? You need the correct printer which is linked to SIMS.

5. Thanks to creese from:

chrisgoodrich (4th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    In SIMS, there are various area that say Notes or Documents, you simply search the file and attach. It is then kept as an encrypted copy in Docstorage. there are many areas, such as SEN where you can attach documents/files. Save the relevant files to the corresponding areas.

From a printer? You need the correct printer which is linked to SIMS.
    Thank you very much.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    This thread will be useful:

Bulk upload of standard document (excel) to sims pupils

The company mentioned is a SIMS partner, Cohesion Software , and i believe the software can be bought already embedded into a number of scanner / copier devices. It might be worth contacting them.

Thank Post
    we use a product called E-copy which we buy through Canon (who we lease our photocopiers through) to do this for us.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain.Faulkner View Post
    we use a product called E-copy which we buy through Canon (who we lease our photocopiers through) to do this for us.
    I think that's the one i was thinking of, is it E-copy that actually does the link to SIMS? Cohesion sell a product that is supposed to link to E-copy, but i guess there are other companies that do the same.

Thank Post
    We are looking to start using Attendance Letters for many reasons and especially to parents of pupils who have a % attendance of between 85-90...and there are many of those....We are also looking to attach letters and forms to individual student records. Does anyone else use this functionality in SIMS.net a lot as any advice would gratefully be appreciated..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TThomas View Post
    We are looking to start using Attendance Letters for many reasons and especially to parents of pupils who have a % attendance of between 85-90...and there are many of those....We are also looking to attach letters and forms to individual student records. Does anyone else use this functionality in SIMS.net a lot as any advice would gratefully be appreciated..

You can do this via Reports>Attendance>Letters. You can specify your attendance range and then upload to individual children's records via DMS. Once you've got your letters set up properly it's pretty good.

Holler if you need more info than that!

G

Thank Post
    Hi GeHubb. Thanks for your reply. What are the technical implications of uploading so many documents? Does it slow SIMS down? How much memory space would I need etc? I'm thinking a secondary school with approx 1000 students..Approx 20% of those will have a %Attendance between 85-90..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TThomas View Post
    Hi GeHubb. Thanks for your reply. What are the technical implications of uploading so many documents? Does it slow SIMS down? How much memory space would I need etc? I'm thinking a secondary school with approx 1000 students..Approx 20% of those will have a %Attendance between 85-90..
    Make sure you have enough space for your Docstorage folder, they can get fairly large. The letters are stored there and only use when called up, so memory is not an issue. Make sure you backup this folder regularly.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    I think that's the one i was thinking of, is it E-copy that actually does the link to SIMS? Cohesion sell a product that is supposed to link to E-copy, but i guess there are other companies that do the same.
    As far as I know, it's ecopy which does the link to Sims and then there is an extra bit which sits on the photocopiers (I can't be completely sure on this though).

Thank Post
    If you are loading many documents to the DMS then you might be advised to have a dedicated server just for this purpose.
    i.e. take it off the SIMS Server!
    It should be backed up as part of the overnight backup that should also be in place for the SIMS server etc. etc.

Thank Post
    My Docstorage is over 5GB now, and we hardly use it apart from two reports per year and some notes!
    The software mentioned earlier in the thread has an export tool, if you ever need to get stuff out of the store for traditional filing, though i don't see the need, if you have a backup of the store and SIMS works.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread