+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Exporting a report definition from SIMS in Technical; Originally Posted by LosOjos I'm assuming though that the OP doesn't have a separate database for his company as they ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    I'm assuming though that the OP doesn't have a separate database for his company as they are an off-shoot (but separate entity) of the school, hence he uses the school's database to create the reports with the school's name attached to it - it's not his own name he's worried about!
    But that is exactly why I said that the receiving school could do a re-save!

Then again, I am not sure of the ethics of using a School's database if you are not a member of that school. And a legitimate support unit will have a copy of the database - even if it is just the Training databse. Not sure of the ethics of using that one either!

Still, ethics aside, the process is really very, very simple.

I have posted a number of reports on File Sharing and I would asume that schools using them have edited them and called them their own! I share them freely for others to use. I would assume that anybody else doing this would do it for the same reasons that I do - to help fellow SIMS Users!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 30th September 2011 at 01:57 PM.

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Me not having time to save and rename hundreds of reports... especially when myself and the OP are more than satisfied with the utility...will bow out of the discussion.

Glad I could help.

EDIT: BTW the utility was supplied by Capita, so presumably they felt a need for it.
    Last edited by creese; 30th September 2011 at 01:44 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    I have just done just that for a Green Abbey Report I still had on the system
    Note the Name, Date, Author, Supplier etc etc!

Attachment 11492

Simples!
    I stand corrected though. I didn't realise you could do that! That's one-all this week then Mike!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,221 Times in 830 Posts
    But that is exactly why I said that the receiving school could do a re-save!

Then again, I am not sure of the ethics of using a School's database if you are not a member of that school. And a legitimate support unit will have a copy of the database - even if it is just the Training databse. Not sure of the ethics of using that one either!

I have posted a number of reports on File Sharing and I would asume that schools using them have edited them and called them their own! I share them freely for others to use. I would assume that anybody else doing this would do it for the same reasons that I do - to help fellow SIMS Users!
    Mike - sometimes SIMS doesn't do everything we want it to. Fact.

It's not a criticism, as I said in my first reply I can understand the logic, but it's at a point now where you either are missing the point (you're method DOES NOT achieve what the OP asked for) or you are doing your usual thing of showing un-swaying loyalty to SIMS (despite nobody actually criticising it).

Either way - I'm out.

Thank Post
    ...... you either are missing the point (you're method DOES NOT achieve what the OP asked for) or you are doing your usual thing of showing un-swaying loyalty to SIMS (despite nobody actually criticising it).
    Sorry to pursue the point but the OP said he imports it again at the receiving school after exporting it from the providing school!

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    In my work I export a report from SIMS to a repdef and then import it again at another institution.
    However, in the new institution I'd rather have the 'supplier' column of the report browse list show some sort of trading name instead of the real school name from where the report originated.
    I've seen some non school, generic names like this on our own reports so it must be possible.
    Anyone know how it can be done?
    That is exactly why my method will work for the OP!

I have no reason to defend anybody or anything when I have answered a direct query so simply!

Had this query been on SupportNet, I would have answered it quickly, probably got a 'Thank you' from the person posing the query, and the thread would then have no doubt been finished! Wot a pity that does not work here!
    No disrespect to others is intended by this comment!

Creese's comments and solution are equally vaild as well, especially for the different scenario he describes! But my response answers the original query very well!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 30th September 2011 at 01:55 PM.

Thank Post
    Creese's comments and solution are equally vaild as well, especially for the different scenario he describes! But my response answers the original query very well!
    in the new institution I'd rather have the 'supplier' column of the report browse list show some sort of trading name instead of the real school name
    Your solution would simply show the school's name who's databse the original report came from, or if done at the receiving end, change it to the receiving school's name. At no point would it show a trading name as the OP requested.

I don't mean to appear rude Mike and I'm sure your help and input is appreciated, but at times you're like a dog with a bone and I really do believe you are missing the point as your solution just doesn't do what the OP asked!

Anyway, this is entirely a pointless thread now, as it was solved about 10 messages ago behind the scenes by @creese!

Thank Post
    "I'd rather have the 'supplier' column of the report browse list show some sort of trading name instead of the real school name from where the report originated."

A 3rd party name as supplier was what was asked for, the utility I sent @iceman has given him exactly what he wanted. Simple.

... but I bet the argument will run into next week

Thank Post
    Your solution would simply show the school's name who's databse the original report came from, or if done at the receiving end, change it to the receiving school's name. At no point would it show a trading name as the OP requested.

I don't mean to appear rude Mike and I'm sure your help and input is appreciated, but at times you're like a dog with a bone and I really do believe you are missing the point as your solution just doesn't do what the OP asked!

Anyway, this is entirely a pointless thread now, as it was solved about 10 messages ago behind the scenes by @creese !
    I know exactly what my solution would show! That is why it was phrased in the way that it was - with a question!

I know it would not have shown a trading name but it was an excellent workround to the solution that was posed! The OP said he would rather it be a Trading name than another school!
    Hence, it appeared that the main issue was the confusion that could be created by another school's name being attached to the report! My solution very adequately sorts that issue!

Maybe I should just stop trying to be helpful again if users just wish to criticise! I'll just wait and, once again, just counteract any incorrect statements that users may make!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 30th September 2011 at 02:27 PM.

Thank Post
    I know exactly what my solution would show! That is why it was phrased in the way that it was - with a question!

I know it would not have shown a trading name but it was an excellent workround to the solution that was posed!
    It appeared that the main issue was the confusion that could be created by another school's name being attached to the report! My solution very adequately sorts that issue!

Maybe I should just stop trying to be helpful again if users just wish to criticise! I'll just wait and, once again, just counteract any incorrect statements that users may make!
    Calm down Mike, have a cup of tea, and re-read the thread, my reply's, @creese's reply, and your final previous response.

Or let me put it this way - giving someone a torch when they asked for a match may not solve their problem.

Thank Post
    Calm down Mike, have a cup of tea, and re-read the thread, my reply's, @creese 's reply, and your final previous response.Or let me put it this way - giving someone a torch when they asked for a matchN may not solve their problem.
    You need to re-read my last post as it was edited before your response!And.....

Nobody has responded re my ethics post. Surely somebody who is licensed to use SIMS with a Tradename has to have access to that organisation's SIMS.

And please do not aim any more personal and insulting comments at myself!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 30th September 2011 at 09:15 PM.

Thank Post
    please do not aim any more personal and insulting comments at myself!
    I have no idea what you're talking about Mike, it has certainly not been my intention to personally insult you.

This is my last post now though, this has got way out of hand.

Thank Post

If a report is created it could have Green Abbey or Watersedge as supplier or any other 'School' name the users decides to create. Changing the name of these dummy schools is a pain and not worth the hassle.

I am very careful what I send out by way of bypassing Capita and Supportnet. If a 3rd party, non-LA or ex-LA, and there are many cropping up now, uses training data to create Report Defs or if they use a school they might have access to, none of the data is exported. If it was I would not have sent the utility.

I personally would assume someone somewhere has given him access a SIMS database on which he creates and exports Report Defs and wishes people to know he provides this service and who they should contact if these reports need updating in future. If live data is involved I would need proof before sending any utility that the person had a legitimate use for it. This Utility simply changes wording within the Report Def, so I know I would not be helping in any 'illicit' or unethical use of a database.

Trainers and suchlike could be asked by a school to produce a Report, which having spent a fair amount of time on they might want to save and export, then pass to others schools. The possible scenarios are too many to list why someone would want the original name off the report list, not least because it just look tidier and is easier to find.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    If a report is created it could have Green Abbey or Watersedge as supplier or any other 'School' name the users decides to create. Changing the name of these dummy schools is a pain and not worth the hassle.I am very careful what I send out by way of bypassing Capita and Supportnet. If a 3rd party, non-LA or ex-LA, and there are many cropping up now, uses training data to create Report Defs or if they use a school they might have access to, none of the data is exported. If it was I would not have sent the utility.I personally would assume someone somewhere has given him access a SIMS database on which he creates and exports Report Defs and wishes people to know he provides this service and who they should contact if these reports need updating in future. If live data is involved I would need proof before sending any utility that the person had a legitimate use for it. This Utility simply changes wording within the Report Def, so I know I would not be helping in any 'illicit' or unethical use of a database.Trainers and suchlike could be asked by a school to produce a Report, which having spent a fair amount of time on they might want to save and export, then pass to others schools. The possible scenarios are too many to list why someone would want the original name off the report list, not least because it just look tidier and is easier to find.
    I totally support you and the solution you have supplied. There is no argument with you or your posts.

What I object to is somebody who is decrying the feasible alternative which I have suggested. It is an easy solution and fits the scenario you have described. Your interpretation of the scenario is totally in accord with my own. On Supportnet both alternative solutions would have been appreciated, with no attempt to decry either.

This thread just highlights the problem with these forums. If I try to offer users the benefit of my considerable experience I often end up having to defend the advice I offer.

A least Gill appreciated my suggestion! And she is also a very experienced user!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 30th September 2011 at 09:14 PM.

Thank Post
    I totally support you and the solution you have supplied. There is no argument with you or your posts.
    Okay. I just wanted to make it clear I don't just sent anything out to just anyone.

It's horses for courses with the solution, mine came from a support in bulk point of view, which is what I understood the OP wanted, his PM confirmed this.

15. Thanks to creese from:

Sivadam (30th September 2011)

Thank Post
    Is anybody able to send me the patch I have tried looking through the file sharing on Supportnet and cant find it anywhere.

thanks in advance

Jonathan

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast