+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Backing up SIMS fails for one site only in Technical; Hi we are using the following command (scripted) across multiple sites to backup our Sims.NET database "e:\program files\microsoft sql server\mssql10.sims2008\mssql\binn"\DbAttach ...

Thank Post

Question Backing up SIMS fails for one site only

Hi we are using the following command (scripted) across multiple sites to backup our Sims.NET database

"e:\program files\microsoft sql server\mssql10.sims2008\mssql\binn"\DbAttach
    .exe /BACKUP /AUTO /SERVER=127.0.0.1\SIMS2008 /DATABASE=SIMS /USER=**** /PASSWORD=
    **** /PATH=\\IPADDRESS\sims$\sims\SimsTools\Backups\SIMS .bak

However on one site it is failing with the event viewer showing

BackupDiskFile::CreateMedia: Backup device '\\IPADDRESS\sims$\sims\SimsTools\Backups\SIMS.bak ' failed to create. Operating system error 5(failed to retrieve text for this error. Reason: 1815).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at Events and Errors Message Center: Basic Search.

AND

BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP DATABASE SIMS. Check the backup application log for detailed messages.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at Events and Errors Message Center: Basic Search.

If I enter the same command and substitute the IPADDRESS for the local drive it works fine. Example below works

"e:\program files\microsoft sql server\mssql10.sims2008\mssql\binn"\DbAttach
    .exe /BACKUP /AUTO /SERVER=127.0.0.1\SIMS2008 /DATABASE=SIMS /USER=**** /PASSWORD=
    **** /PATH=e:\sims$\sims\SimsTools\Backups\SIMS.bak

Can anyone help please?

Thank Post
    what happens if set dns instead of ip? does the system have relevent permissions to sims$ why not just using ip\sims\sims why sims$?

Thank Post
    Have you thought of try to set then back up location using the setsimsbackupfolder.exe and just running the backup line with out the path.

Example command
    d:\sims\sims\setups\setsimsbackupfolder.exe /SERVER=127.0.0.1\sims2008 /DATABASE=SIMS /BACKUP_PATH="D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.SIMS2008\MSSQL\Backup" /USER=sa /PASSWORD=*******

Then I would run
    "e:\program files\microsoft sql server\mssql10.sims2008\mssql\binn\DbAttach.exe" /BACKUP /AUTO /SERVER=127.0.0.1\SIMS2008 /DATABASE=SIMS /USER=**** /PASSWORD=

Thank Post
    No I hadn't - I have just taken on supporting SIMS so thanks for the nugget of information.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,306 Times in 1,088 Posts
    In the second example, what and where is E: ? Presumably it's just mapped to the ip address from first example, or is it local?
    There must be some permissions issue between, the share / direct access.
    Can you check that E: isn't really mapped to "\\<IP Address>\sims$" which seems more likely. Usually the shared path would have more restrictive permissions, but if it's mapped with an account with higher privileges than the account running the script then that could explain why it works better that way.
    If i'm right, even if the default path is set beforehand, the script wont have the permission to see that location.
    I may also just be talking rubbish, but i have seen weird permissions issues especially on Win 2k8 svr

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Vik you sound bang on the money that it is mapped. From the 2nd example there is no way its local as permissions would allow access to see it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread