+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, FMS fatal error in Technical; You shouldn't shove the pdoxusr.net file in a shared (network) drive, it should be a local path....

Thank Post
    You shouldn't shove the pdoxusr.net file in a shared (network) drive, it should be a local path.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,447 Times in 1,200 Posts
    So what about bossman's link, and the reference to paradox 4.0 locking protocol concurrency, and the talk of all users accessing the same pdoxusrs.net file?
    Are you saying the each have their own local .net file and it is referred to in the central *.lck file , so that's okay?
    Incidentally, having made no changes whatsoever, my test machine in the office has pdoxusrs.net on the C: drive root, but nothing on a working station down in the finance office, in fact i couldn't find the file at all, despite it being used for FMS daily. I'm not entirely sure what's going on. Will have to check the 2nd machine i installed later.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    So what about bossman's link, and the reference to paradox 4.0 locking protocol concurrency, and the talk of all users accessing the same pdoxusrs.net file?
    Are you saying the each have their own local .net file and it is referred to in the central *.lck file , so that's okay?
    Incidentally, having made no changes whatsoever, my test machine in the office has pdoxusrs.net on the C: drive root, but nothing on a working station down in the finance office, in fact i couldn't find the file at all, despite it being used for FMS daily. I'm not entirely sure what's going on. Will have to check the 2nd machine i installed later.
    Back in the days of SQL Anywhere, you had to worry about .lck files. Nowadays MSSQL deals with all that. pdoxusrs.net is machine specific and MUST be accessable by all users who will use FMS, putting on a network drive would be foolish, you want to limit the number of problems (failed mapped drive) and because the users will need full access, it'll better on a local drive as well to limit the security.

With Win 7 (ie Vista, Win 7, Windows Server 2008 (R2) etc), you can't write to a file in protected areas - root of drives, program files etc with either turning UAC off (stupid) or elevated user access (again stupid). So you need to move pdoxusrs.net to a subfolder. Capita I believe are looking at moving it for new installations of FMS from the next release to C:\programdata\Capita or something, I personally, create a folder called SIMS in the root of c:\ - c:\SIMS which I use for the FMS transfer out folder - as if you have a network glitch, you're bursar won't be moaning because they have to redo the orders as the file can't be regenerated, again cutting the risk - and other legacy applications - satellite Nova-T etc. This also makes permissions similar - SIMS Users and SIMS Admins. So the Attendance, SEN, Finance, Timetablers will be SIMS Admins and everyone else will be SIMS users.

If you're putting pdoxusrs.net on a network drive you're using old advice that isn't correct.

4. Thanks to matt40k from:

vikpaw (27th September 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 766 Posts
    If you're putting pdoxusrs.net on a network drive you're using old advice that isn't correct.
    It may be old technology which may or may not be correct in it's entirety but for the past 6 years I have not had a problem with using this method which only utilises the technology for that user on that workstation and we have had not one problem with network glitches or using a mapped drive (all very stable here for the past 10 years) I did try localising the pdoxusrs.net file but different users on different workstations had different structures in FMS and it all seemed too unstable and faults would have occurred had we remained using it this way that's for sure.

As for security, well all I can say is that the user group who we have defined as users of FMS are the only group that can access this shared folder and this is fastened down to just 3 individual users who have the access rights and permissions set at this level and below.

You pays your money and you makes your choice and for us this works excellently and there is no scripts to run when upgrading FMS as the workstations upgrade through the usual procedure when the server has been upgraded to the latest version.

All the transfers both in and out are setup on the server and this just works for all the SIMS modules also like Exams etc so keeping everything central is best in my opinion.

@matt40k No disrespect to your good self, you have probably used and developed your own system and I do follow what you are saying.

Thank Post
    Apprete it works for you, I'm not saying do as I say, after all the golden rule is if it works' don't fix it. Just be aware people look on here and it may not work for everyone. My method works for over 350 odd different setups.

Thank Post
    Thanks folks,
    just solved my FMS problem thanks to this thread.
    Paul.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulW View Post
    Thanks folks,
    just solved my FMS problem thanks to this thread.
    Paul.
    to the wonderful world of EduGeek.netTM
    Stick around for a while - head over to the Newbies thread and introduce yourself, and grab some tea and eduhobnobs

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ooh, you providing Mr Paw?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    It may be old technology which may or may not be correct in it's entirety but for the past 6 years I have not had a problem
    That is a dangerous idea - "but I've always done it like that". Anyway, I digress off topic.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheScarfedOne View Post
    Ooh, you providing Mr Paw?
    Sure, actually I've got a nice Kopi Luwak to try out.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12