+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Sims upgrade not working on some machines? in Technical; Now i know very little about Sims so bear with me. I went to a primary today that the SIMS ...
    Thank Post

Sims upgrade not working on some machines?

Now i know very little about Sims so bear with me. I went to a primary today that the SIMS support team had upgraded FMS today. I went in at short notice because i had reports of some of the FMS modules not working, It turned out that the reason ws because the march Sims.net upgrade had not been done. When this was done later it all worked well....................not.

I was told to run Sims.net then it would upgrade the workstation which it did. In turn this let me then run FMS and it launched OK. Before the sims.net workstation upgrade the FMS launched but with errors. Now on a couple of machines this worked OK but on another couple it came up with an error that the user did not have admin privileged and the sims.net upgrade needed to be done by a admin. This threw me as none of the other 2 users were admins. I can't understand why this happened.

What should the security be on the 'program files/sims 'folder to enable this to be done?

In fact could someone tell me what the default permission should be set at on the workstation and how it is done? Can it be done in GPO through file access security setting?

Please help me understand the sims workstation install/security as i have no knowledge.

Thank Post

Re: Sims upgrade not working on some machines?

1. Permissions: Make sure all the SIMS folders and the ADAPI folder (IIRC) have Full Access assigned to Users (I find this works best)

2. FMS: The last FMS upgrade I did required a manual update on each workstation. Finance isn't integrated like all the other gubbins.

Thank Post

Your users need to be members of the "Local power users" group.

Does each workstations c:\windows\sims.ini point to the correct "Setups" folder?

After running SOLUS to upgrade FMS the local program files will be updated and so should the database (once only- and BACK IT UP FIRST!! S:\SIMS\SQL?)

Thank Post

What i did is used the following line in a batch file then added all the users to the group sims user that i created in Active Directory. I put this batch file in the startup of the machine config.

net localgroup "power users" /add "sims user"

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

You're supposed to run simsperm from the sims\setups directory to set permissions to enable your users to upgrade - Capita say there are security risks to granting full access to the folder.

The command is simsperm <domain>\<users>

(simsperm is just a script that uses cacls to set permissions)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    You're supposed to run simsperm from the sims\setups directory to set permissions to enable your users to upgrade - Capita say there are security risks to granting full access to the folder.
    And then say the exact opposite as solution to the OwnAA.pdf issue

Thank Post

We have a problem at the moment whereby a SIMS guy remote desktop'ed in during a working day and changed the SIMS folder permissions to FULL anyway just like that.

:/

Whats with this LAN ID anyway? Ive worked for the school for 2 yrs and ive been told by a collegue that I have to run ws_security.exe after installing SIMS...

I then ask sims why and he goes "you should use it before installing sims..." yet my collegue still said I have to run it after as thats what they have always done... now today I get TOLD I HAVE TO RUN IT BEFORE by the same collegue else it wont work?

Anyways also, I now have to set a LAN ID? Why? Because someone said so... well I dunt beleive in doing something if its not nessesary and if its worked for 2 yrs then why have I got to now? Its working fine?

Cheers

Thank Post

A LANID was enivormental variable used to identify different workstations in the old SIMS Launcher (i.e. dBase) days.

Haven't you done the SQL conversion yet?

Thank Post

As far as im aware we are using the newest versions of everything, running Microsofts SQL Server ( I couldnt tell you what version though sorry. Not infront of it atm).

I've always ran the WS_Security > Then > SIMSINST.exe > Then browsed for the connect.ini.

Thats all i've ever done. Before I came they used to use LAN ID's - Apparently now we have to do it. They said it doesnt matter what LAN ID you use just as long as its got 1. They also said I could ALWAYS use ID 30.

That doesnt make much sense as then it doesnt make that workstation unique at all, which I assume defeats the whole idea of setting 1.

Any more info? Thanks for all your help and support - much appreciated.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread