+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS/FMS over 2 sites in Technical; I have been asked to look into getting our 2nd site to connect to sims/fms. I am getting Atomwide/LGFL to ...

Thank Post

SIMS/FMS over 2 sites

I have been asked to look into getting our 2nd site to connect to sims/fms. I am getting Atomwide/LGFL to link the 2 sites (same network/domain) but am unsure how the 2nd site will connect to sims/fms. Will this be very slow connection or should I go down the route of TS, if so can someone give me some guidance on doing this.

Thank Post
    isnt there a web front end to sims?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Erm depends on what the link between the two is going to be? is it fiber and at what speed? you might be able to setup a trust between the two domains and then just map a drive across the domains - i would only recommend doing this if you have at least a 100mb connection between the two. If not then either TS or Introducing Sims Learning Gateway and using that for registers etc. Although there is no support for FMS this way.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Erm depends on what the link between the two is going to be? is it fiber and at what speed? you might be able to setup a trust between the two domains and then just map a drive across the domains - i would only recommend doing this if you have at least a 100mb connection between the two. If not then either TS or Introducing Sims Learning Gateway and using that for registers etc. Although there is no support for FMS this way.
    We are only on 1 domain and server is at site 1. Site 2 pcs will be joined onto domain and authenticate on server site 1. I can install sims/ Fms on these pcs and map drive etc but am a bit worried on speed, it is a 50mb fibre connection I believe. Is sims learning gateway a web based connection? And can it be used for admin duties like pupil/staff data entries etc?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Sims learning gateway is based on sharepoint i beleive which is a web front end for sims which can be used to do what ever you want it to do (although limited to what is available) more info is available here

SIMS Learning Gateway

Thank Post
    I have a school that I support that has 3 sites. The main site site1 has the SIMS & FMS Server. Sites 2 & 3 are approx 6 miles away from site 1. Sites 2 & 3 have fibre between them accross some fields. Between site 1 & 3 there is a 10Mb link. I have no issues with SIMS .net or FMS across the 10Mb link. The only time there is an issue is when an update is done and all workstation are wanting to upgrade. We get round this by getting the staff to leave machines on and setting a scheduled job on each machine to run sims .net over night.

To get the best performance I used IP address only and no mapped drives for SIMS .net.

So in the sims.ini
    [Setup]
    SIMSDirectory=\\*.*.*.*\SIMSROOT\SIMS
    SIMSSetupsDirectory=\\*.*.*.*\SIMSROOT\SIMS\Setups

For the connect.ini (Local C Drive)
    [SIMSConnection]
    ServerName=*.*.*.*\SIMS2008
    DatabaseName=sims

Hope this helps, any questions message me.
    Last edited by RobT; 24th August 2011 at 08:58 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RobT View Post
    I have a school that I support that has 3 sites. The main site site1 has the SIMS & FMS Server. Sites 2 & 3 are approx 6 miles away from site 1. Sites 2 & 3 have fibre between them accross some fields. Between site 1 & 3 there is a 10Mb link. I have no issues with SIMS .net or FMS across the 10Mb link. The only time there is an issue is when an update is done and all workstation are wanting to upgrade. We get round this by getting the staff to leave machines on and setting a scheduled job on each machine to run sims .net over night.

To get the best performance I used IP address only and no mapped drives for SIMS .net.

So in the sims.ini
    [Setup]
    SIMSDirectory=\\*.*.*.*\SIMSROOT\SIMS
    SIMSSetupsDirectory=\\*.*.*.*\SIMSROOT\SIMS\Setups

For the connect.ini (Local C Drive)
    [SIMSConnection]
    ServerName=*.*.*.*\SIMS2008
    DatabaseName=sims

Hope this helps, any questions message me.
    Thats great RobT and thanks for reassurance. I will be doing this in the next couple of weeks so fingers crossed it will be fine. As per your reply I will get back to you if required

Thank Post
    DO NOT RUN FMS ACROSS A WAN\VPN. Unless it's uber fast and low latency.

SIMS is happy, but FMS you must run it via Terminal services. We've tried it for about 5 mins - 4 of them was waiting for it to load and the other was close all the error messages that appear.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,943 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    DO NOT RUN FMS ACROSS A WAN\VPN. Unless it's uber fast and low latency.

SIMS is happy, but FMS you must run it via Terminal services. We've tried it for about 5 mins - 4 of them was waiting for it to load and the other was close all the error messages that appear.
    Was that the FMSSQL you tried over VPN or the old FMS? Reason I ask is that SQL is designed to handle latency and slower links, so it is a bit odd if FMS isn't working via a VPN link...

Thank Post
    Yes, FMSSQL using SQL 2008. It worked over a VPN, you couldn't really use it however.

FMS being odd? Surely not

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,408 Times in 1,166 Posts
    @boogster - i think you'll be fine over the WAN. test it and see. the only issue would be as mentioned updates and possible FMS..

SIMS Learning Gateway would be very costly unless you want / need it at both sites anyway, it's a web interface to give teachers/students/parents access to data. So would in theory also be available outside your WAN over the internet if you allow it and configure it.

Admin staff will still need a desktop install though to do the day-to-day input and maintenance. Perhaps you'll be lucky and have them all located on one site.

Thank Post
    Shouldn't have a problem with 50meg.. assuming that's what you will actually get and they don't bastardise the link. Try it and see, otherwise you might have to go down the TS/RemoteApp routes.

Wouldn't bother with SLG for SIMS... it's great for parents/students etc but probably lacks functionality for "proper" staff use.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad View Post
    Shouldn't have a problem with 50meg.. assuming that's what you will actually get and they don't bastardise the link.
    I really, really wouldn't.

Thank Post
    If there is line of sight between the two sites and they're close enough I'd consider going for a laser(FSO) or a direct cable, it might work out cheaper over several years. Ours cost 12k initially(1gbit fso+radio backup) plus 1.4k/year maintenance but then we don't need to pay 5k+ each year for an inferior connection via an ISP.

Another option we looked at was fibre via the sewer, this didn't work out too badly however it still required 4k+ rental for the first 10 years

Thank Post
    We ran FMS over a WAN and the amount of TCP/IP drop outs was ridiculous but since the move to FMSSQL this has not been an issue.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread