+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Solus3 and App-V woes in Technical; Hi guys, just a heads up really. If your deploying Solus3 and are using App-V then the Solus3 agent service ...
    Thank Post

Solus3 and App-V woes

Hi guys, just a heads up really.

If your deploying Solus3 and are using App-V then the Solus3 agent service will fail to start. This is because the agent cannot access the virtual drive (typically Q). This is a known issue and there is no time frame on when it will be resolved.

Thank Post
    Scratches head, umm... yer, wouldn't have installed SOLUS3 if I was using "thin-clients" just seems more work for no real benefits. What was the idea?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    AppV isnt just for thin clients. Also used on our standard PCs... quicker and more reliable app deployment. Also means you can do upgrades to apps easiler (ie once), and have two versions of the same app (ie Dreamweaver CS4 and CS5) to aid curriculum transition.

Its a pain about Solus 3, bumped it up the feature request sheet and will post its number.

Thank Post
    No, App-V is "thin-client" technology, all the software is ran on the server. So you upgrade JUST the server. The workstation, "thin" or "fat" is still regarded as "thin" as they do not do any processing with regards to that application, it's all done centrally and IMHO, I don't get why you would waste your time setting up SOLUS3 if all your machines aren't using the fat client but using App-V. Wait until it's getting close to the forced date and Capita will have ironed out all the problems.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Not strictly true. AppV grew from a compatability background. In Thin Client - you wouldnt be using it - as true thin clients dont do any local processing. Essentially just a dumb terminal passing keyboard, mouse and vga back and forth. AppV does place a load on the machine, with the package being streamed and cached. They do locally processes the application, it is simply separated from the os and other installed programs. A box within a box if you like. Like I said, it is not being used for all apps - simply those that either dont like W7, are huge to deploy, or where I want to run two versions of the same software. Solus 3 has great potential - Capita just werent expecting Schools to be playing with AppV and virtualisation like we are - then again, neither were Microsoft!

Thank Post
    You've utterly missed my point, you have to install it, 1 - 3 times? What's the point? Capita are aware of it, but they've got to priorities work. I alone have enough requests to keep them busy for the next few years and I'm afraid some of mine are going to be higher up the list then support for App-V. After all getting it working for 100+ S3 agent networks who have problems with SOLUS3 is going to have higher priority then a school with App-V that SOLUS2 works for. The only hope you have is that the managed Capita hosted people decide to roll it out - but that's VMware??

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread