+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, Slow SIMS.net in Technical; One thing to add to phils post above is that imo you should never use that MS antispyware app. The ...

Thank Post

Re: Slow SIMS.net

One thing to add to phils post above is that imo you should never use that MS antispyware app. The one that has a red and yellow target icon. It runs havoc with sims load times and is detrimental to pretty much any application.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts

That program expired months ago, its called Windows Defender now and has a Castle logo

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by john
    That program expired months ago, its called Windows Defender now and has a Castle logo
    That doesnt mean it's not on school machines though.

Thank Post

Nope not on our machines! Installed on one played around with it and uninstalled all in one day. Microsoft are almost as bad as Sims... or should that be the other way round?!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by tobyhacker
    Our SIMS helpdesk has informed me that Capita say it is an SQL issue and that it maybe resolved when we move to SQL 2005 in August. Up till then we've got to manage, they gave a few suggestions which I've got to try.

Server Spec is Xeon's with 4GB RAM lots of HDD etc etc. So in theory should be more than a match for SIMS!
    Strange because we're running a much weaker server than you and performance seems to be very good with aprox 100 users (we use for registration etc)

I have found that the network infrastructure makes a massive difference to SIMS - are you running Gigabit to the SIMS server and a fully switched network?

The fact that its semi intermittent indicates maybe your having network problems - broadcast storms or something.

Andrew

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by tobyhacker
    Nope not on our machines! Installed on one played around with it and uninstalled all in one day. Microsoft are almost as bad as Sims... or should that be the other way round?!
    I wish our schools did the same! I saw another instance of that app only this morning. Just to clarify, I assume the delay is after you have entered your user/pass and pressed ok? I'm sure it will be but thought it best to ask incase it was an issue with simsload.exe

Butuz: You may have a point there but would this still cause the servers sims client to login slowly? I'd probably say that it wouldn't but stranger things have happened. There's no harm in examining the network traffic to see if there are peaks at the time of login issues.

Thank Post

Hi.. This is my first posting on the site!

I have had nothing to do with Sims on our admin network, but I was asked yesterday by a engineer form capita to why it was running slow... i thought that he might be needing to answer the question rather than me as he works for Captia???

I had a thought that the anti virus package could be affecting the performance. I spotted an earlier post in this thread but i cant find the paper that was referred to... can anyone give me some pointers on any tweaks to antivirus software for sims.net? We are using Sophos AV, EM Ver3 and EL Ver1.3.2, on access scanning on the server is disabled and on access scanning is turned on for the client PC’s with the scan on read setting. I don’t think the on access scanning applies to mapped network drives but I could be wrong.

Thank Post

Cipher - go to our SupportNet site and on the left hand side there are sticky items. One of these talks about optimising start up speeds.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12