+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Installing a test copy of SLG2 in Technical; Hi everyone, I'm setting up a test server while testing upgrading sharepoint to 2010. Having some trouble setting up the ...

Thank Post

Installing a test copy of SLG2

Hi everyone,

I'm setting up a test server while testing upgrading sharepoint to 2010. Having some trouble setting up the sims learning gateway site on the test server.

The site has been set up, using the same msi's and commands as when doing upgrades (app tier.msi, web tier etc), all seems to work in principle with the site/pages but the webparts all produce the following error message -

Information not available
    Sorry but the requested information is currently unavailable

It seems like a possible connection error, but the webpart for entering the connection details does the same thing....just wondered if anyone else had managed to set up an slg site themelves and had any pointers?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by awesomeo3000 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm setting up a test server while testing upgrading sharepoint to 2010. Having some trouble setting up the sims learning gateway site on the test server.

The site has been set up, using the same msi's and commands as when doing upgrades (app tier.msi, web tier etc), all seems to work in principle with the site/pages but the webparts all produce the following error message -

Information not available
    Sorry but the requested information is currently unavailable

It seems like a possible connection error, but the webpart for entering the connection details does the same thing....just wondered if anyone else had managed to set up an slg site themelves and had any pointers?
    See this thread for you answer: Training databases - the end is nigh!!

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
    See this thread for you answer: Training databases - the end is nigh!!
    This won't kick in until 5th.

Thank Post
    Hi thanks for the reply, but that link seems to do with sims databases, this is a sharepoint and slg issue i believe, the sims database is not being changed, just a test version of the slg that would connect to it.

thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,306 Times in 1,088 Posts
    You have to authorise an SLG install don't you to SIMS or is it the other way around?
    Is this test setup on the same domain, using the same accounts? I remember playing around with my test install and it got borked up due to change of domain, and usernames / passwords changing, as the test install didn't have lots of service accounts as recommended.
    Just thinking out loud, i remember some pages coming up and others not with a weird error, but it was so long ago i don't know exactly.

Thank Post
    Yeah that's the thing i'm not too sure on, currently i'm trying to get it to use the existing ADPS and sims databases, so i was thinking that a simple install of the site/web apps etc would make it work. It's on the same domain and accounts, in theory just another web server that can use the same servers for authentication and data retreival....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,306 Times in 1,088 Posts
    If you did a farm install maybe you could add it to the farm but that's moving from test to live in a not nice way.
    I suspect it's hard coded into the asps and sims system somewhere. Maybe a config file ... I know once you have multiple web servers upgrades get extra complex and require powershell so maybe it's not so easy.
    You might need to replicate the other servers into a test bed too and install the full works all linked together.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 21st January 2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: typos

Thank Post
    awesomeo3000 did you resolve this? I am trying to do exactly the same thing and getting exactly the same problem.
    I have a live SharePoint 2010 farm, ADP server, SQL Server and SLG App Tier. I have set up another SharePoint 2010 farm to test deployment and upgrade of Solutions and Web Parts, but cannot get any of the SLG web parts to communicate with SLG!

Thank Post
    How far have you got with the setup? Are you using a copy, training database or the live SIMS .Net database.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread