+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Academy's & Equipment Register in Technical; I've had an interesting query from a couple of schools now that I never really thought about until now. All ...

Thank Post

Academy's & Equipment Register

I've had an interesting query from a couple of schools now that I never really thought about until now. All these schools have recently become Academy's and now have a new FMS database. The query is that most of these sites used Equipment Register for Asset management (some over a number of years) and each ER is is packed with inventory, backdated stock take & inspection information (audit trails). These sites will be "winding down" with the use of the old school FMS system and focusing on the Academy database instead. Therefore, these schools want to know how the data can be moved from the old FMS DB to the new one as they will continue to use ER. Obviously manual entry not a great solution. It will mean hours and hours of manual entry and essentially losing any equipment history like stock takes and inspections. I've logged a call with Capita but am unsure if they can come up with anything.

Does anyone else have any ideas? Would it be possible to do some clever scripting to get the data out of the old system and import it into the new system with Management Studio?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Can't you clone the old db, and strip out the bits that aren't theirs any more. I take it it doesn't have the function to export / import inventory items. Otherwise you could just write things off / sell them and the 'new' academy buys them and adds them.
    Could be a pain if they have to have a clean new db. You could pretty much do anything in studio, but it wont be supported, that's the issue. For support you'd have to pay Capita to do it!

Thank Post
    Unfortunately not. You can import from a spreadsheet but only basic info (ER number, S/N, Security Mark, Quantity, Description & Model). Should be able to export the info from management Studio but all the other information like which room it's in, who's responsible for it, inspection & stock take history etc will be lost. They may be an Academy now but their equipment is not changing.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    This little line was included in the Academy FMS Services document I was sent across (and then I was pretty glad I went with my own system a year a go when deciding):

Equipment Register
    Note – although Equipment Register is run from within FMS it is not currently possible to transfer this register data into the new database.

5. Thanks to Cache from:

Rawns (26th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Sounds like a good time to go with a better bit of software.

7. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Rawns (26th July 2011)

Thank Post
    We are in a similar situation as well :-(

Thank Post
    never put any data into something you can't take it out of. I'd look at the tables and extract it into something else that doesn't suck

10. Thanks to mavhc from:

Rawns (26th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Well, Capita seem to have not thought about this. Luckily, we have managed to find a way to extract the inventory details out of the database (ER number, S/N, Security mark, Quantity, Description and Model). We can then save this data in a CSV file and then import it into the new database. Unfortunately, we have found no way to bring across categories, disposal definitions, the staff and room links along with the audit history. Still, it will save the school a good chunk of manual labour and they seem happy with this.

Thank Post
    As you say there are export and import facilities in ER. We will check with Baxter & Co as to what the accounting rules are - we aren't sure whether the old equipment value is written off on not.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    As you say there are export and import facilities in ER. We will check with Baxter & Co as to what the accounting rules are - we aren't sure whether the old equipment value is written off on not.
    Phil - The export and import facilities in ER are extremely limited. Are there any plans to improve these. If not schools will probably be better off looking for an alternative product.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    Surely they can sell it to the 'new' school at current value.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread