+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Help needed with FMS since Capita can't resolve an issue with there own software. in Technical; SQL Native Client error Common link Failure with FMS 6.138. I have a school that have Server 2003 & windows ...
    Thank Post

Help needed with FMS since Capita can't resolve an issue with there own software.

SQL Native Client error Common link Failure with FMS 6.138.

I have a school that have Server 2003 & windows 7 laptops. They are getting intermittent issue where it sates "You have altered your system clock. It strongly recommended that you re-start module in order to ensure client/server system date/time integrity."

Both the server & workstation time are same. Regional settings are all set correctly. Even reset the faults on the windows 7 laptops. There is no time syncs going on the network.

I have looked at "General Network error," "Communication link failure," or "A transport-level error" as per Error message when an application connects to SQL Server on a server that is running Windows Server 2003: "General Network error," "Communication link failure," or "A transport-level error".

Still no resolved. Logged call with Capita and this was given the following rubbish response:-

================================================== ==============
    Activity Date: 20/07/2011 10:31:22 Communication Type: E-mail
    Activity by: Bradley Cotton
    Emailed Customer
    Hi Rob,

I have spoken to a colleague regarding this issue. Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done with this issue as it is an intermittent issue. The same issues occur when running FMS over a virtual machine. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Thank Post
    On the Windows 7 laptop, change the Region and Lanaguage Format to English (United States) apply, then change back to UK, apply.

Next check the time make sure they match. If the error appears, make sure it still matches.

Are the laptops wireless?

Run a ping -t for 5 mins on the laptop, response time needs to be under 30ms for FMS with zero drop outs.

Thank Post
    Found something else, have you applied Windows Server 2003 SP1 and KB91222 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912222)?

If so, it's the Broadcom 5708 chipsets (amongst others) issue -

A workaround for this issue could be to disable to TCP Chimney Offload feature.
    1. Launch regedit.exe
    2. Edit DWORD EnableTCPChimney under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters, set data value to 0
    3. Edit DWORD EnableRSS under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters, set data value to 0
    4. Edit DWORD EnableTCPA under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters, set data value to 0
    5. Restart the server

Thank Post
    Matt

Your first replay. Already done the "regional settings". I found a slightly quicker way, Go into Region and Language, then "Administrative" tab and click "Copy settings", then at the bottom put a tick in "Welcome screen and system account" + "New Users". The ping test is fine both on wired and wireless. I have had one laptop running on wired and the other on wireless. When the problem occurs it happens on both machines at the same time which is pointing to me as if a server/network issue not workstation.

Your second replay. Yes I had found that KB on Microsoft website and have already applied. The Server is fully serviced packed and all updates applied.

I have looked at just about every think I can thinks from changing windows update times to sophos AV scans. The main problem is there is no patter to it. Can happen one time one day and then go few days no issue. Then another day it can happen 10 times. I also run network diag and left them running so see if I could capture an issue. Apart from this issue the schools network runs sweet.

Any other suggestions would be useful. My next step if nobody can help is to upgrade them to 6.140 and see what happens. I am also going to upgrade there spare windows xp laptop and run that side by side with windows 7 machines.

Thanks for you suggestions.

Thank Post
    I support a piece of software that gives a "communication link failure" from time to time, and to be fair the problem is between the SQL DB and the SQL client, outside of the control of the application itself. What it does do is trigger a sequence of increasingly hysterical error messages, but the problem there is poor error trapping in the app, the issue is still the link failure.

And that's exactly what it means for us. Always found it to be a network problem of some kind, whether it be a drop out (good call on the wireless question) or a dodgy NIC (is it always one client? Does it affect multiple machines at once?).

I've also read of people having problems where servers are starved of resource, but never come across that one myself.

Thank Post
    @theriver It is happening to multiple machines. What is so strange is that this has been a great network with nothing much changing except upgrading to 6.138 and getting the issues. Even though the server is 2003 it is still well spec Dell.

Thank Post
    Are you on SQL 2008?

Thank Post
    @teejay: Yes migrated to SQL2008 last December. I have also detached the database and reattached database using SQL2008 Migration tool in advanced mode to make sure no issues. The original migration was done via automatic deployment script.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    @RobT:

Have just come across this and wondered if this could be a pointer in the right direction: SQL Server Intermittent Connectivity Issue - Microsoft SQLCAT ISV Program Management Team - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

Hope it is as you can fix

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    @RobT:

Could it be the nic in the server which is intermittently losing the connection?

Would it take much to change it?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    @RobT:

Could it be the nic in the server which is intermittently losing the connection?

Would it take much to change it?
    Funny was about to say, last time removing KB91222 or disabling the TCP Chimney Offload feature didn't work, swapping the NIC fix it. Even disabling the onboard dual gigabit and putting in a intel pro 100+ fix it.

Thank Post
    I have installed a Intel network card, will now have to wait for schools return to see if this resolves the issue.

Thank Post
    I Had this error a few years ago it was the power settings in the network card i had to disable to power management as the pc was powering down the network card when the not being used.

Thank Post
    Fingers crossed!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold_99 View Post
    It was the power settings in the network card i had to disable to power management as the pc was powering down the network card when the not being used.
    Helpful, I hope the person who included that feature on a server NIC got shot.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast