+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Solus 3 Update issue in Technical; Hi, I'm looking for a little advice regarding some issues with Solus 3. Basically the setup we want currently is ...
    Thank Post

Solus 3 Update issue

Hi,

I'm looking for a little advice regarding some issues with Solus 3.

Basically the setup we want currently is to have Solus3 installed on the MIS Server based at each school and for that to look directly to Capita and to download the updates to their download repositry on each server, once we have authorised the upgrade in CES Manager at the LA. Basically as we currently do it with Solus2.

We have installed Solus3 on the MIS Server at the school and can successfully deploy .Net 4 and the Agent to the workstations. However we authorised the Summer release in CES Manager but when we then check for new updates in solus3, no new updates are found.

Can someone advise where we are going wrong, is the setup we want achievable or do the updates need to be downloaded from Capita to the LA and then the schools MIS Server pulls them from the LA? The guidance notes we have aren't very clear.

Many Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    I don't know much about how the solus3 or the LA authorising process works, but i thought that what you authorise is for solus 2. solus 3 is it's own thing, and a different download, so if you've set the school up to connect direct, if it works, they should get the update regardless of your approval. maybe that is the problem, they aren't supposed to get it direct..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    I don't know much about how the solus3 or the LA authorising process works, but i thought that what you authorise is for solus 2. solus 3 is it's own thing, and a different download, so if you've set the school up to connect direct, if it works, they should get the update regardless of your approval. maybe that is the problem, they aren't supposed to get it direct..
    After reading into it a little further, it appears you are correct.

Thanks for the reply.

Thank Post
    to EduGeek, stay a while, it's cool

Thank Post
    Yes, the person I spoke to at Capita intimated that in order for schools to get updates via Solus3, the LEA/support organisation would need a central Solus3 server as well. Looks as though CES will be obsolete.

Thank Post
    This is correct. The model you suggested is the one we have in place. You need to install a LA SOLUS 3 Deployment Server at your site, then authorise upgrades from that out to schools. You can still run CES for the schools on SOLUS 2.

Thank Post
    Here's a question - when setting up the Solus 3 server at the LA/Support company end, do you set up a shared folder to download the updates into? The schools we support would not have any access to a shared folder on our system... I thought the schools would download updates directly from Capita, like they do using CES/Solus 2?

Can any of you good folks shed any light on this? I've asked Capita to clarify, but it takes a while to get a response...

thanks

Thank Post
    I'm pretty sure you push it out to them, or they pull it from your deployment server. If they can get it from somewhere else, how do you control the process, they don't need you.

Thank Post
    well I managed to speak to someone at Capita, and he said that you have to put a shared folder in the setup, even if the schools can't reach it. As a support unit we will be using Solus 3 to authorise updates, but they will download them directly from Capita, just like the old CES/Solus 2 set up.

Thank Post
    You can point schools at your local webserver so it's faster or let them use Capita's. Lot nicer then SOLUS2 as you don't need to script it to sync with Capita, it does it automatically.

Give me or @Ghostgame a bell if you need any help setting up the LA s3 server.

11. Thanks to matt40k from:

jbutlin (23rd August 2013)

Thank Post
    OK, thanks a lot for that

Thank Post
    Hmmm having a few issues with Solus3!! It seems like I am not the only one, having browsed various forums on here...
    I've set up a Solus 3 authorising server at our end, and installed Solus 3 on several schools. I've tried authorising a couple of minor patches to a couple of schools, just to test it, and when I come to authorise it, it all seems to work fine at our end.
    When I try to download updates at the school end - nothing. Anyone had this?

Thank Post
    So you can't download or deploy? Have you set it up as a SIMS workstation, server, database etc at the school? Have you checked the date range?

Thank Post
    I have set up a Solus 3 server at the school as well, it's all registered etc. Proxy settings are all in place. It's when I come to run `check for new updates' at the school end, that I get nothing. All very odd...

Thank Post
    Check the SIMS channel config in SOLUS3 Agents --> Update Enviroment.
    Make sure that the settings are in and/or correct.

Best way to check your setup correctly is in Agent Details for the server agent.
    If setup correctly, there should be version numbers for each of the Targets (apart from SIMS File Server)
    If you are setup correctly and there is no version number, select the target (e.g. SIMS Database) and click Get Target Version in the top left.

This should allow you know to download the updates for SOLUS3 though you might need to reauthorise them again to the school in question.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast