+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, health issues highlighted in Sims registration? in Technical; Calling all sims experts! A deputy came to see us about the information displayed in sims on the registration screen. ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Question health issues highlighted in Sims registration?

Calling all sims experts!

A deputy came to see us about the information displayed in sims on the registration screen.
    Apparently there's no indication on the screen where you do the registering on that a given kid in the class might have pertinent medical issues.

It doesn't seem unreasonable that a teacher ought to be aware of something, potentially before it happens, and without making them read every kids record just to see if there is or isn't medical issues. When a kid is writhing about on the floor it's too late to fire up sims to find out what might be up.

So I'm wondering is there an answer to this we don't know about?

and is there any scope to customise the columns that appear on the registration screen?

Thank Post
    I haven't got SIMS open in front of me but I'm pretty sure that if you are on the registration page you are just one click away from the student details screen which gives you a complete summary of everything that you need to know about a pupil. We've had debates on exactly what we should/could show on the registration screen. Many medical issues are highly confidential and many schools do their registration on a white board which would be far too public to show this type of information.

I'd be very interested in opinions on this issue.

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Highlight the pupil. Click Student Teacher View on the right hand panel.

If that isn't enough, click Pupil Details in the same panel once you are in STView.

Why close SIMS? The whole point of it being in the classroom is that it is available for such situations.
    Last edited by creese; 15th July 2011 at 02:41 PM.

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Another option is for some one to highlight the sessions and add a comment in bulk. This leaves a "red flag" to indicate a comment.

Thank Post
    There are a number of threads on SupportNet re the adding of extra data to Group/Class Registers!

One has to be very careful if extra data is shown! Health issues are personal to the pupils and Teachers etc should only have access to that data on a 'need to know' basis. This means that the data should not been seen by unauthorsied persons, and that includes the other pupils in the Group/Class. If there is any danger of the data being seen by another pupil (e.g. by completing the register on screen, or by being overlooked) then the data SHOULD NOT be displayed. Failure to comply is a breach of the DPA!

I have had to ensure that data such as SEN, FSM etc is not displayed on our Registers as some staff choose to take the Regfister via the projection screen!

Thank Post
    How about a compromise between the two. If a child has a medical issue of sufficient importance that a teacher not knowing it exists could cause harm* to the child, place a subtle indicator next to their name so (at an appropriate time) the teacher can familiarise themselves with the information?

Say a triangle/red cross/whatever - it doesn't disclose anything other than a need for the teacher to review the info.

*EpiPen, for a common example.

Thank Post
    as a youth worker, i would have to disagree with anything of this sort - it will only lead to alienation of pupils and bring attention to pupils, - even if it was simply a message for the teacher to say that their lunch had been brought in from home and is in reception. all staff should know who has epipens and any medical circumstances that they need to be aware of before they step up and look after children/young people. other young people/children do not need to know who has epipens ect, it is often a sensitive and distressing subject in my experience.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    I agree with @pete - there should be a simple marker, but it should be in a column that can be toggled on and off, like behaviour, so if the teacher needs to know they can see.

You wouldn't want the behaviour, or any other sensitive info to be shown to other students, but you can't restrict it from teachers for that purpose. Make it easy for them to toggle, so they can still use it on a whiteboard if they wish.

Or, make a special projection mode, it could open out into a browser type interface, or maybe be unpinned and only show restricted info so it can be dragged over to a projection screen...? Bromcom have a warning before anything sensitive is used, and you have to enable a projection mode with your password, as far as i remember, which is then valid for that session.

I see your point @mjs_mjs but it's not possible unless in a primary school for teachers to remember what every student's medical requirements are, it's hard enough differentiating as it is! They should be aware, but in practise there are way too many kids, and with the number of covers done by other teachers, and non-fulltime staff, it would be impossible. I'd rather go with making it easier for staff to access the info they need.

We send out medical alert notices (sims rtf report) with a large picture and full description of need, each year, for anyone that has extreme conditions e.g. epipen required, epilepsy, allergy to sun (yes!). This is placed in admin areas and the staff room as well as emailed to all staff.

I also have a report that can be run, per class to list any medical conditions at all, which is aimed at form tutors, so they can see and save for themselves a full list of their class.

@browolf - making them customisable isn't likely to happen, but there are many discussions about this on SupportNet and consequently, quite a few change requests for the addition of that and other columns. Might be worth a trawl through.

A workaround that has been discussed before, is to create your own, important info marksheet, which can be linked to each class and available as a tab on the register. The downside being that you have to populate the data yourself which means it's a pain and also out of date quickly.

Could really do with a change request to have an aspect type that is like the "=" formula in Excel, and you can set it to be linked to any other piece of info in SIMS, unless Phil is listening...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sorry @vikpaw I fully agree with @mjs_mjs on this.

A teacher *must* know the medical requirements of their pupils before they even start planning lessons. If they are doing cover the teacher is meant to enquire about the medical requirements beforehand. All schools are meant to routinely inform staff of SEN requirements at the beginning of each year as well.

It is not rocket science for teachers to sit down and look at their class lists and work out what they need to look at and remember. Teachers do this for literacy requirements including ESOL, for behaviour requirements including keeping an eye on children known to work poorly together, for H&S reasons including if they know some children have previous history of not following rules ...

Even in very large schools a class teacher will know the students in their classes and have access to the relevant information. If nothing else, this is why so many teachers still have their planners ... they may take registers electronically but they also keep a lot of information in planners.

I have had the arguement of "what happens when a change happens, or a new students joins?" before ... and that is why you have communication plans to deal with it. A simple email out to all relevant class teachers and pastoral groups, announcements in staff briefings ... lots of different ways of doing it.

Technology will not fix poor communication on its own ... it has to be part of change all the way from SLT to class teachers to office staff.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    At our place, every year the staff get a print out of all students with any medical condition (asthma, scoliosis, etc) and are told to keep it safe. There is also a copy in the staff room and resource rooms. If a new student comes in with a condition, we add it to their list.

There should be an easier way to do this in SIMS so we dont have to update the list every time a new student comes in.

Thank Post
    I'm not disagreeing with the point staff should know all about their pupils, i'm just saying in practise it's unlikely it will happen. I thought mjs doesn't want medical info available via the registers. I agree it shouldn't be broadcast for all and sundry to see, but having it available on a toggle as with the other sensitive info means we can use the technology to our advantage. Any teacher can quickly check for the inconspicuous black dot that indicates something important to note, and refresh their minds. It's a reminder for a busy teacher, and a failsafe to allow for group changes, plus cover staff can see quickly if there is something further for them to lookup via more detailed records.

12. Thanks to vikpaw from:

nephilim (16th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    I thought mjs doesn't want medical info available via the registers.
    to clarify from my point of view it should be available to the certain staff that need it, but not displayed on registers as many staff have their registers open on their whiteboards - any sort of differentiation will be picked up by students/young people at some point. they are a cleaver old bunch after all.

Thank Post
    So being able to hide it, as you can with SEN and behaviour today columns is acceptable right? Then it just needs enough people to vote for it to be added as a feature.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread