+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Migrating SIMS to a new server in Technical; It's getting high-time to decommission our elderly SIMS server and migrate the whole SIMS kerboodle to a nice new one. ...
    Thank Post

Question Migrating SIMS to a new server

It's getting high-time to decommission our elderly SIMS server and migrate the whole SIMS kerboodle to a nice new one. I just need to know how to go about it.

Anyone shifted SIMS to another server before, how'd it go, and is there anything I need to be aware of?

Also if you know about any notes, guides or training courses on the matter any info would be gratefully received.

Thank you

Thank Post
    We've had to migrate SIMS to a new server before and it is not too bad.
    Basically if you set up a blank server and run the SIMS installer on the S:\ drive of the current server you can tell the machine that it is going to be a server.
    You then have to set up where the Document Server and SQL servers are going to be located and follow the prompts through.
    You then need to use DB attach to move the database between the servers.
    Capita have this documented somewhere to follow through - we used it when we migrated our SIMS roles across - but I can't find it at the moment. I'll keep on looking.

We found if you keep the server name the same, its much eaiser than changing the connect.ini on each machine

Hope this helps
    Ed

3. 2 Thanks to eddyc:

AlfaTech (13th July 2011), Sephiroth (24th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    I did it at Easter. Will the server move also mean you're changing OS i presume. It doesn't matter, just wondering.
    I took the opportunity to change servername, and database name too.
    If the connect.ini is redirected to a central one, you only need to change it in one place. We use the path via a mapped drive, so did have to do some scripts to remap the S: drive, but it was no biggie.
    I recently wrote up some info on the process in another thread, and others have done the same. The easiest way by far is by downloading the New install ISO from Capita. This way you get a clean setups folder. If you search for SIMS ISO in the forum here, you'll find some useful threads and there are others that discuss moving server and clean installs too.
    Pointers:
    BACKUP BACKUP
    Don't decommission the old server for a while and until happy the new one works okay for users.
    Defo use dbattach to detach from old and reattach to new as eddyc said.
    Don't forget to reconfigure the document store location from within SIMS itself.
    You may have to allow the SQL ports through on the windows firewall in order for comms to work. The SQL install usually warns about this.
    Set up your new backup routines.

The Spring installable ISO is available, so if you use that. Assuming you're already on spring 7.138, then you can move the db over, and then upgrade to summer after - if you dare..

5. Thanks to vikpaw from:

AlfaTech (13th July 2011)

Thank Post
    I too have moved SIMS from one box to another on many occasions (the latest being Windows 2008 & SQL 2008 to 2008 R2 for both).

In addition to what @vikpaw says; when you've installed SIMS, moved the DB and changed the location of the DMS in SIMS, import the latest reports (Reports > Import) before restoring your original DocStorage stuff. This will create the new directory structure for docstorage on the new server in which you can copy your files and overwrite what you've just imported.

I too highly recommend using the latest install ISO to make sure you get the latest SIMSInst.EXE file. An old version will cause problems.

7. Thanks to NorthernSands from:

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Just to reassure you, I have moved SIMS many times, almost monthly. It is quite simple. Just follow the above and NorthernSand's tip about creating the Docstorage structure is a good one.

9. Thanks to creese from:

Thank Post
    Great! Thanks for giving me something to go on (you will all be 'thanked' accordingly). I didn't think it would be to major a task, but it being a critical system we want to get it right first time. Thanks again, if I have further questions I will be back.

Thank Post
    One of our network manager is moving everything to virtual servers, do I need to nervous or it this a good idea?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    @CatherineMay:

Been running our MIS system (SIMS) as virtual for some time now and it couldn't be better not a problem at all.

Go for it

Thank Post
    Remember to put .NET framework V4 (extended) on your new server as future SIMS releases will need it.

Andrew

Thank Post
    Virtualise..

Thank Post
    SIMS on a VM is absolutely fine. That's how we run it and I think it's ultimately where most schools will go.

Thank Post
    Thanks to all who replied. My network manager takes it personally if you question him about everything.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CatherineMay View Post
    Thanks to all who replied. My network manager takes it personally if you question him about everything.
    That sort of "Manager". I know him well.

Thank Post
    One thing no one has mentioned is that if you do give the server a new name then you need to keep an eye out for the SIMS.ini file on workstations (lives in the windows folder) as well as the connect.ini.

It may have entries which point it to a UNC path for the SIMSDirectory and the SIMSSetupsFolder.

If the paths in the SIMS.ini files are to a mapped drive (eg S:\SIMS and S:\SIMS\Setups) then you shouldn't have any problem with this.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by superfletch View Post
    One thing no one has mentioned is that if you do give the server a new name then you need to keep an eye out for the SIMS.ini file on workstations (lives in the windows folder) as well as the connect.ini.

It may have entries which point it to a UNC path for the SIMSDirectory and the SIMSSetupsFolder.

If the paths in the SIMS.ini files are to a mapped drive (eg S:\SIMS and S:\SIMS\Setups) then you shouldn't have any problem with this.
    Yes. When moving database and servers always check connect.ini, SIMS.ini and docstorage location. Let SIMS create the docstorage file structure by running a report.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast