+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, The Legacy of Nova-T 4 in Technical; Is Nova-T 4 actually going to be phased out, or will it continue indefinitely, remaining as a legacy of yesteryear? ...
    Thank Post

The Legacy of Nova-T 4

Is Nova-T 4 actually going to be phased out, or will it continue indefinitely, remaining as a legacy of yesteryear?

The reason I ask is that so many people on our site still use it (and prefer it to Nova-T 6) and I was wondering if we're suddenly going to have loads of them running screaming at us for the sudden loss of their beloved system. I imagine that an uninstall would happen at the time of a future SIMS update, but does anyone have any idea of when this might be? If at all.

Thank Post
    It's going soon - you can now (in the current release) print T4-styley timetables (with week 2 below Wk1) from the reports menu of SIMS .Net - and it works without the bit of T4 that did it previously but was 16-bit so didn't work on 64-bit Windows
    Last edited by BatchFile; 12th July 2011 at 04:11 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,306 Times in 1,088 Posts
    It will be phased out though, it's currently in that process already. You should check the roadmap for more details.

Thank Post
    Its been 'going to be phased out' for years now.

People here still aren't happy with reports from anything other than t4. I wish Capita would just remove it, but I bet its still in the summer release.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,306 Times in 1,088 Posts
    In it's 5th year at least, i think.

Thank Post
    NT4 will not be finally killed off before all the Reporting functionality is replicated in either NT6 or SIMS,net. It isn't yet.
    There will be a new Polishing project next year to move this forward. It is already being looked at!

Thank Post
    I was talking to Dave Andrews (Capta) recently. He says T4 will not cope with Alternative Curriculum side of T6 so if you use that for this year's timetable, I would disable it before September. I still prefer T4 but times are changing.

8. 2 Thanks to CatherineMay:

AlfaTech (14th July 2011), BatchFile (15th July 2011)

Thank Post
    I'll have to have a quiet word with Dave next time I see him. Unless he meant not cope with the full functionality!

I have got my AC Groups showing on NT4 - admittedly with less detail because of the variable nature of AC Groups. e.g. they are obviously not tied to Year Groups and there is no link to the Pupils. But they do show on timetables (other than the pupil one.)!

And we are only maintaining NT4 for it's reporting side anyway!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 15th July 2011 at 07:33 AM.

Thank Post

That is great news

Thanks, do you still use cover in T4? That is my problem - our cover manager likes to do cover in T4 first because it is so quick and the boss likes the noticeboard print better than the print from Cover 7, and will transfer in Cover 7 later.

Thank Post
    I managed to ween all our staff off of T4 a long while back. I told them it was going and that they should use bespoke reports or the ones in SIMS.net to get the info. Never had a complaint. Our timetabler still uses it for the bits that are easier in T4 than T6 but she's prepared for its demise. She's also the cover supervisor but uses Cover 7 because of the personnel link (i think).

HBJB

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CatherineMay View Post
    Thanks, do you still use cover in T4? That is my problem - our cover manager likes to do cover in T4 first because it is so quick and the boss likes the noticeboard print better than the print from Cover 7, and will transfer in Cover 7 later.
    Sorry but we do not. Nobody should be using it now as it is no longer supported!
    We have used Cover7 since it's introduction - we were one of the Filed Trial schools and I actually did one of the presentations at the SIMS Annual Conference along with CHris Sherwood the year it went on General release.
    Your Cover Manager is missing out greatly on the increased functionality that is in Cover7!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    Sorry but we do not. Nobody should be using it now as it is no longer supported!
    We have used Cover7 since it's introduction - we were one of the Filed Trial schools and I actually did one of the presentations at the SIMS Annual Conference along with CHris Sherwood the year it went on General release.
    Your Cover Manager is missing out greatly on the increased functionality that is in Cover7!
    Quite!

Cover 7 is very powerful and has far greater functionality than T4. As for the reports in T4; all the information is in SIMS, it's just a question of finding it again. I have to admit that the reports were easier to generate in T4 but if you're keeping it purely because staff 'like the look of' or 'don't know where the report is now' then it's time to beat them with the Luddite stick and drag them kicking and screaming into the real world where things get superseded.

Tell them now that it'll be going soon and that they should use the current software. Remove their access if neccessary.

HBJB

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heebeejeebee View Post
    Quite!

As for the reports in T4; all the information is in SIMS, it's just a question of finding it again. I have to admit that the reports were easier to generate in T4 but if you're keeping it purely because staff 'like the look of' or 'don't know where the report is now' then it's time to beat them with the Luddite stick and drag them kicking and screaming into the real world where things get superseded.

Tell them now that it'll be going soon and that they should use the current software. Remove their access if neccessary.

HBJB
    I am afraid that not all the NT4 Reports are not available in SIMS.net, which is why I have again provided my data to the Capita for the proposed new Polishing Project! I have been involved with discussion re. NT4 type Reporting ever since the very first development meeting a few years ago!
    The functionality in SIMS and in NT6 also does not match what it is in NT4 - something else that I raise at the Software and UAT meetings that I attend!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 15th July 2011 at 08:58 AM.

Thank Post
    Maybe our staff only used the basic reports then because I've never been told that they cannot get the same information out.

HBJB

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heebeejeebee View Post
    Maybe our staff only used the basic reports then because I've never been told that they cannot get the same information out.

HBJB
    Our Heads of Year regularly need to print a Year Timetable because of changes that are made regularly! There is no such report in SIMS - even though it is a basic report!
    On the original build of NT4 Reporting there was such a report. Unfortunately I broke it at the first UAT Session because it could not handle my Bands, Sub-Bands and Sub-Sub-Bands! Therefore that is one section that was withdrawn, and there were others! That is the reason that my data is currently with Capita Development for testing purposes!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 15th July 2011 at 10:57 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast