+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Periods in Nova-T6 in Technical; Hello, sorry if this question has been answered before, but I couldn't find an answer! I'm a newbie in timetabling ...

Thank Post

Periods in Nova-T6

Hello,
    sorry if this question has been answered before, but I couldn't find an answer! I'm a newbie in timetabling for a secondary school using T6 and trying to learn the ropes.
    Basically, at our school we have different times of day on a MT than on a WTF. This is caused by the addition of a 40min PSHE session at the start of the day on MT. So, on a MT students have Reg for 15mins, then PSHE for 40mins, then 6 curriculum lessons. On a WTF students just have 15mins Reg then 6 curriculum lessons. As students aren't in the same class for Reg and PSHE we've had to set up "P1" to act as PSHE on a MT whilst it just acts as the normal first curriculum lesson on a WTF.
    The problem this creates is confusion amongst staff. Everyone refers to Registration as "Reg" and PSHE as "PSHE". They then call the first curriculum lesson "Period 1". This all makes sense but on timetables and the registers etc this first curriculum lesson on a MT is actually "P2"!
    This has caused so much confusion this year.
    Is there a way around this???

Hope the above makes sense. If not please ask and I'll try to clarify it better.

Thank Post
    You ought to post this on the Curriculum Forum on SupportNet. There are many experienced Timetablers on there!
    You might also want to look at the following relevant KBs, also on SupportNet:-
    KB82199, KB86013, KB86730, KB107043.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    You ought to post this on the Curriculum Forum on SupportNet. There are many experienced Timetablers on there!
    You might also want to look at the following relevant KBs, also on SupportNet:-
    KB82199, KB86013, KB86730, KB107043.
    Thanks. I've now registered on SupportNet. Awaiting a username and password.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts
    I'm no great timetabler, but here goes:

How is the reg setup? As a non-timetabled period, i.e. with the reg tick box checked. Can you not add an extra period like that for PSHE as well. I guess it would be across the week, but you could ignore it WTF. Probably not a great solution, just thinking out loud.

We timetable our registration, as it allows us to cover it. I'm guessing you need PSHE to be a lesson so it can be registered, and covered etc. How do you cope at the moment? There is an extra period (7) at the end of WTF that is empty / ignored?

If that's the case you could either leave a blank period at the start of the day WTF so that all first lessons across the week are known as and labelled period 2 - very confusing still, or move your PSHE to the end of the day. It's not practical and will meet with opposition, but practically there is no major advantage of it following morning reg, just the fact they are all in the right place already. Moving it to the end of the day would be like those schools that do pm registration or end of the day registration.

So PSHE is always period 7 MT, and on WTF there is no period 7. All names and labels are consistent.

The only other option i can see is to actually spread it out over the week, but that makes teaching it difficult.
    Hopefully some of the above wasn't complete twoddle.

5. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Brucy (7th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Unless PSHE is delivered in registration groups, in which case you could have a long registration period on those days maybe?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,143 Posts
    They aren't in the same class , but even if they were, can you have long periods one day and short on the others...?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread