+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Electronic registration in Technical; I have looked through the majority of the relevant posts on here but I still have a couple of questions ...

Thank Post

Electronic registration

I have looked through the majority of the relevant posts on here but I still have a couple of questions unanswered.

We are set to launch electronic registration here from September:

1) We have assemblies for a different year group each morning, how do schools do the registers during assembly. We have thought about having period one as the statutory AM registration but we may then get students not turning up for assembly and going straight to the lesson.

2) How do schools do registration during PE lessons, the PDA route is not something I want to do if possible.

3) How do schools prepare the registers for when the fire bell goes? Do people print registration classes every morning after the AM statutory registration?

4) We are thinking about possibly rolling out the electronic attendance either by year group or by department. Did anybody do this or did they go out and start the whole at the same time.

If anybody else has any pitfalls that I haven't thought of that would be useful if you could mention those also.

Many Thanks

Andrew

Thank Post

Re: Electronic registration

Background: Registration performed by a proximity card reader in each classroom (NEDAP)

1. We have a 'registrator' in the hall (where the assemblies take place)
    2. We have a registrator in each of the changing rooms
    3. Fire brigade told us we didn't need to bother doing this
    4. I missed the initial role out but it was everyone in one go, running electronic registration alongside paper registration until we were happy that everyone was using the system correctly... we have since done away with afternoon registration

For school trips, failure of fixed registrators, etc. we have two mobile units that scan the cards and download the data via a cradle connected to a PC.

In the two libraries we also have registrators... this allows 6th form attendance to be monitored and library lessons to take place.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Which system are you going to use? SIMS?

1) 1st 10 minutes is registration time, and then assembly starts.

2) We use paper!

3) There is a thread on this. We don't pre-print a list.

4) We intended doing the 6th form first, and doing it by year as that's how our totor groups are geographically located. In the end tho', everyone took to it so easily, we rolled it out to the whole school at once.

We did do a lot of hand holding. Tried to make it as easy as possible for staff. Had it as a major part of training day - had Capita in to do presentations, and then set up a room for a day for people to come and have a play etc., as is part of the purchase price.

We only asked a bare minimum of staff to keep it simple for a start, introducing small extras as we've gone on.

Oh, and we did roll out PCs to every desk first, to use email, and got all staff using that.

Staff have really appreciated the PC access - online shopping at christmas was very popular!

<edit> We do per lesson registration, and 1st PM lesson reg is the stat one.

<edit> 10 mins reg time added

Thank Post

1) We have AM registration seperate from assembly (which is mid-morning), I don't _think_ they do any registration in the actual assembly period.

2) Similar to _Ric, each teacher does the registration for the (double) lessons in the changing room.

3) Dunno, I don't see any teachers doing electronic registers during fire alarms. I suspect it's a paper list.... hmm..

4) We started it new in September (2005).
    Things did not go well... we'd rushed in a wireless network, that was (and still is) flakey in some areas.
    Whole school, everywhere... urgh.

The trouble with doing part of the school, would mean that teachers would "forget", they still forget with us, but the DHs get onto them.

If you can, roll it out with the computer literate ones first, as they will pick up on the problems and do something about it, whereas the others will just not bother.

We now do all lessons, AM and PM registration, there are only a few wireless blindspots left, and only teachers in these areas can get away with not doing them.

We have found that the teachers are using their laptops more than they used to, which is mostly good, although it has shortened the lifespan (of the laptops), and increased our storage needs.

Thank Post

Thanks for all your input so far guys, very useful.

Thank Post

I have seen both CMiS ePortal and SiMS used for this and both seem to work very well. My own preference would be ePortal but to answer your questions i would need to find out more details of what each individual school does.

Thank Post

We have a 10 minute registration period first thing for AM attendance. for PM attendance the system fills this in from the information taken for the period 6 lessons.

PE lessons are taken on a laptop by PE dept outside the changing rooms, it's the best method we can come up with, as E-Portal (which we use) doesn't display properly on a PDA which would have been better.

Fire bell registers are a nitemare. Suposidly the attendance office are supposed to have a full attendance report run off after AM registration. We also take laptops out with us in the event of a fire alarm, while we couldn't rely on them in the event of a real fire, if they do work then it helps.

Not sure how it was started at this school, I wasn't here! At my last school it was lanuched all in one go at the beginning of september with 2 staff training days devoted to training all staff on using the system before the start of term. It went fairly smoothly surprisingly.

Biggest pitfall is choosing the wrong system! there are many different offerings from different companies out there, so it's well worth getting as many as possible to come in and demo their tehnology so you can see the benefits of each system and how they might work in your school. Also if you are going for laptops and wireless network approach, make sure you test the wireless network throughly and get it installed by a reputable company. This can cause you more headaches than anything else if it's done wrong.

I've used 2 different registration systems - Bromcom and E-Portal/CMIS there are different strengths and weaknesses to both systems.

Mike

Thank Post

@Ric_: We are looking at putting some form of electronic registration could you possibly provide me with some info on what you guys use at your place??

Thank Post

@RIC does your e-REg system feed into SIMS or CMIS?

There must be a problem with kids loosing their cards.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Ric uses Sims.NET.

Thank Post

@ICTNUT: Check out http://www.nedap-education.com/en/main/ and maybe ring Jayne Cork on 07920 72 5953 and mention my name. I will also PM my number if you want a chat about it.

Our MIS is SIMS (as Geoff so rightly mentions) and there is a synchronisation between the NEDAP PreAbXS software and SIMS - which is currently being enhanced. I believe the system also works with CMIS and even better with Integris (others I do not know about).

Kids lose/forget/damage cards. They are given a temporary card for the day and then have to cough up a fiver for a new one (to cover the replacement card and printing). If a card is found to be faulty we replace it free of charge and claim it back of NEDAP.

Thank Post

SIMS.net Lesson Monitor 7 using teachers laptops through wired and Wireless connections.

1. We don't have morning Reg - all students go to their 1st lesson. In your case you could create a Assessmbly slot before P1 but P1 would still be the earliest marks.

2. Teachers take electronic registers by laptop in the changing rooms - its wireless!

3. We get the office to print registration classes every morning after the AM statutory registration.

4. We went with the Big bang theory [but were prepared and had paper registers just incase] as we moved from Bromcom to SIMS.net. However before we introduced Bromcom, we phased in by Year Group, 1 Year group at a time, solving problems if they arised.

Staff seem fine with it. Slight glitches as always with any system but nothing more. Teachers actually find it helpful to see the data SIMS hold as they never had access to it before!

There is an online solution ....SIMS Learning Gateway but it looks to be in its infancy just yet... so were getting our MS Learning Gateway sorted first and then we might consider it.

Thank Post

1) Students go to classroom to be registered in a very short registration period and then into assembly. That was initially however doing what you suggest will raise your attendance figures significantly and means you can use a registration period as guidance or do away with it completely. Certainly in my experience starting with a lesson as opposed to registration which is not valued by students will improve punctuallity for the less hard core offenders.

2) A Seperate broadband line into the offsite changing rooms and then e-portal on a laptop as if it was being accessed from offsite. (suprisingly cheap to do)

3)In an Ideal world yes, but there are resource issues here. Most MIS have a button for an instant print out of registers in a fire situation. The issues will be procedural, how fast can you print and do you have an offsite printing facility. What if the fire is in the server room. The only truly safe argument is to do what you suggest but there must be a better way. Certainly a PDF file can be created of the registers and kept on a laptop.

4)I have never seen anyone try to do this non school wide if only because it will seriously compromise you abilitiy to get accurate summary data and SLASC returns.

Thank Post

A few people have talked about e-portal not showing properly on a PDA - I believe there is a PDA version that you can add on as a module.

Will almost certainly cost you something - but not sure how much. We used to have it through the deal the LEA did, but when they renewed the deal they took it out to try and save money as it was not widely used.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

Here's some input. DO NOT even consider getting the Lisol Pathways system. despite what they say, it is not actually completed yet.

We use a webbased system for reg and use HP PDAs for PE and print outs for fire alarms, which is much MUCH better than using the Bromcom PDAs [/sarcasm]

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast