+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, Electronic registration in Technical; We were advised a long long time ago not to even contemplate going the Bromcom way and it has been ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 748 Posts

Re: Electronic registration

We were advised a long long time ago not to even contemplate going the Bromcom way and it has been good advice which has saved us a fortune.

As for Registration we have AM reg and our PM reg is incorporated with lesson 4 of our scheduled timetable as you can see from the attached jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post

Indeed, I think that is becoming very popular, the idea of registration is starting to be an outmoded concept. Guidance is replacing it. Consider that two 15 min registration periods per day is over 100 hours of teaching time in a full academic year.

Thank Post

We have gone to registering electronically for every lesson and tying in P1 to the AM mandatory and P6 (lesson after Lunch) to PM Mandatory.

Couldn't tell you if it has benefitted the school or not, but does seem a better use of time then a registration period.

Thank Post

Thanks for the information keep comming I am using Sims.NET here and this information is really useful

Cheers ppl :-)

Thank Post

Thanks for all your help guys. Im meeting with the deputy head early next week to put together how we will shape it happening as of September.

Home: Telford Office: Wolverhampton Work Travel: all over UK!
    Thank Post

The following is based on my experience with schools using our PARS electronic attendance however should apply to you also:
    ) Am period mapped to period 1 assembly as you could a lesson.

2) PDA is usually the route however once again depends on your electronic attendance. If out of wireless area, PDAs can be sync'd. If PDA not feasilble then either use a nearby / office PC to register or use a paper register at the begining of the lesson and get a student to the run the register to the office for your attendance officer to enter.

3) No point in using an am register for a fire. What happens if a student arrives late for school yet not in the fire assembly yard? Your electronic attendance should have a section for fire so you can see up to date registration data. You should be able to have this data available on a removable device(s) ie laptop, pda, tablet and if anyone missing in the assembly area then you can straight away see a list of students who have been absent all day.

4) My advice is always to do a year at a time- yr7 is always nice to start. No point choosing teachers to pilot as other teachers will complain. As soon as all teachers n that year are happy and confident then you should hear a buzz in the staffroom and other teachers are more willing to have a go. You will alwas be faced with negativity when introducing a new system into a school however I'm sure you are aware of that.

If anybody else has any pitfalls that I haven't thought of that would be useful if you could mention those also....

You will always find a couple of teachers who will be reluctant in taking their registers and these need to be picked out early and trained further. My motto is attendance data is only as good as its worst marker!
    If your system allows, run a missing registers report daily and keep on top of it. My suggestion here is make sure the curriculum leaders are fully trained on the system, make sure they train their team. if there are missing registers let them deal with it... if a teacher is not taking registers properly it means the subject attendance results will be incorrect (missing marks are classed as unauthorised absence) - this will also mean the curiculum leader will be questionned why his/her subject attendance is low and could also compromise their postion as a senior team leader. Plus when you have the DCFS knocking on your dor asking about your subject attendance you need to be prepared wth good results.

Attendance officers can sometimes have a mare chasing missing registers and trying to get teachers to do them ontime which can stop them doing other jobs. They need the help of senior management for this as they can feel like they are banging their head against a brick wall.

I do despair when I visit schools and they say 'I cant get my teachers to take their registers'.... I see it from all points of view, positives and negatives to taking registers however the ultimate question is; who is managing your school? This is about educating and improving our students in a safe and managed environment. ....... As you can probably tell i'm passionate about what I do and schools I work with getting good results and with comments like this its rather annoying!

I'm working from home and cant see if its our software you have... we do have a St Bedes although i'm not sure you are from the same school?!?

If you are, please send me an email and I can send you step by step tutor guides and attendance handbooks...

Jenny Urey
    PARS Training Officer
    TASC Software

Home: Telford Office: Wolverhampton Work Travel: all over UK!
    Thank Post

Just to finish off... (sorry)

Many schools are sticking with an am registration with their form tutor and dropping the pm register period of usually 5 mins. The pm session register is taken during the first lesson after lunch.

Schools can be large and it can take students 5 mins to walk one end of the school to the other so a 5 min afternoon reg is not practical. It also stops students walking around the school, gives extra learning time.

I have also had a couple of schools who had issues with truancy and now have their pm form register at the end of the day. This has stopped students skipping classes in afternoons and going home early. It has also helped prevent students missing buses after schools as lesson teachers have not held then back.

Attendance policies and best practise can differ and no two schools are the same. What works in one school may not necessarily work in another.

Thank Post

I agree with Jenny many MIS systems will happily take the first afternoon lesson as the registration period.

As to having a session last thing. This is a double edged sword, I have seen it tried but not seen any solid evidence it improves afternoon attendance. Firstly because it encourages long lunch syndrome, especially among those who are allowed off site.

Secondly the last session is sometimes more sparsley attended by those students who see no value in it and from a statistical point of view this risks losing the whole afternoons attendance if they skip off early. Of course this is far more of a risk if the school does not use lesson by lesson registration.

It all depends on how hardcore the truanters are and very much on the presence of the form tutors.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12