+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Restricted staff access in Technical; Please can someone tell me if we could set up our SENCO so that they can only affect SIMS records ...

Thank Post

SIMS Restricted staff access

Please can someone tell me if we could set up our SENCO so that they can only affect SIMS records (mainly assessment data) for pupils under their care?

Thanks!

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Please can someone tell me if we could set up our SENCO so that they can only affect SIMS records (mainly assessment data) for pupils under their care?

Thanks!
    You can't restrict to certain pupils. You could restrict to SEN Module but I'm sure they could shortcut to all pupil details.

Thank Post
    I'm not an expert on assessment manager but it may be possible to set up a user defined group for the pupils and then set up the marksheets so he/she can only edit the ones for this group. Check the SIMS permissions spreadsheet - available from supportnet and make sure that he/she only belongs to the group(s) with the permissions you want to allow but it isn't possible (unless someone knows different) to, say, allow editing of the basic details of a subset of pupils

4. Thanks to Hecate from:

Eric (4th July 2011)

Thank Post
    I don't think we've added that dimension to permissions. Who would add a student to the group?

Thank Post
    @philneal We could arrange for someone else with admin access to add a student to the group.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,408 Times in 1,166 Posts
    The SENCO role has one of the higher permission sets in SIMS, in as much they have edit rights to a lot of areas that a regular class teacher doesnt, as well as access to confidential info. The idea is that everyone is in their care, even if not 'tagged' as such. They should be the ones identifying and assessing students.

Why do you need to restrict them this much? If you make them a SENCO, you'd have a hard time stripping away permissions and even then it would be across the board. You'd be better off only giving them class teacher access and then restricting that further, and only supervision of certain Assessment Defined Groups. But, then, they wont be able to do any SENCO stuff.

In terms of assessment data, as far as i know, they don't get access to all marksheets or do they...? So, they shouldn't be able to edit anything assessment based anyway, then it's already quite restricted the way you want, just give them supervision of the groups you need them to see. You may have to maintain these manually though, unless you have Discover and can set up a dynamic SEN group.

8. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Eric (4th July 2011)

Thank Post
    As you may have gathered, we have a SENCO who we want to do some updating, but we don't feel that they are necessarily competent enough to let loose on the whole database.

It seems that we may have to think again.

Thank you everyone for your input.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread