+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
MIS Systems Thread, Running SIMS.NET on an Intel Mac using Parallels? Possible? in Technical; Believe once Capita has everything in .NET they will look at WPF to replace Windows Forms, which supports Silverlight. Currently ...

Thank Post
    Believe once Capita has everything in .NET they will look at WPF to replace Windows Forms, which supports Silverlight. Currently you only need .NET Framework 2.0 SP1, WPF needs 3.5, which gets deployed as part of SOLUS3, so I guess next year we'll start to see WPF appearing more and more, which can easily become web-based. Wheither or not it'll go "cloud" I guess will depend on how much money Capita will make from it.

The current problem stopping them is that most of the checking is done on the client side, that they still have some parts are non-.NET, that they let there devs have holiday

Thank Post
    Hi All,

Just installed Virtualbox from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads this works on Intel Platform only, you need to add the extension pack this allows pxe boot if required. Then I set the VM to pxe boot first. There is no bios as such just look over Settings\ system and uncheck or move up - down your selection. You can of course install Windows from ISO image.

We use Altiris to deploy Windows from this pxe boot to winpe I sent a job to install windows 7 x86, to allow pxe boot from within the Intel iMac I set network setting to "bridge mode"

When the image completed, join to the domain, run firwall rulls to allow port open for Solus3. Now here was the problem, agent installed but failed on install of sims.net.
    Run manual install of simsapplicationsetup.exe from your path of sims .net x:\sims\simssetups. Ok did test logon to access sims .net and it failed with "incompatible database" I then noted that the file size of the sims folder was less then a working deployment on standered Windows 7 x86 computer some 444mb, copied the sims folder from C:\programe files\sims to the Virtual Machine with windows runnding on the iMac. Ha it worked. I did use part of this script to complete on the ini files

SIMS .Net Install Script - Blogs - EduGeek.net

"Source\SIMSInfrastructureSetup.exe" -a {QuietMode}
    "Source\SIMSapplicationsetup.exe" /s {QuietMode} {NoServerApps} [SIMSDirectory]="s:\SIMS\" [SIMSDotNetDirectory]="C:\Program Files\SIMS\SIMS .net"
    "Source\SIMSMAnualSetup.exe" /s {QuietMode} {NoServerManuals} [SIMSDirectory]="s:\SIMS\" [SIMSDotNetDirectory]="C:\Program Files\SIMS\SIMS .net"
    "Source\SIMSAMPARKSetup.exe" /s {QuietMode} {NoServerApps} [SIMSDirectory]="s:\SIMS\" [SIMSDotNetDirectory]="C:\Program Files\SIMS\SIMS .net"

del "C:\WINDOWS\sims.ini"
    if not exist "c:\program files\sims\sims .net\connect.ini" copy "Source\connect.ini" "c:\program files\sims\sims .net"
    if not exist "C:\WINDOWS\sims.ini" copy "Source\Configuration Files x86\sims.ini" "C:\WINDOWS\"

Hope this helps

Thank Post
    Sorry, I've failed. So you spend a premium on a Mac because? (I know there are reasons), then spend another premium buying an additional OS (and I'm lost). I'm guessing it's not the performance impact - unless you're using it as excuse to upgrade or ditch SIMS lol! I know some places have a few macs that they would ideally like to use SIMS on, but the £100 a OS license fee gets the idea cancelled out. If they do RDS\RDP or even something like SLG makes more sense!

Just to confirm you can't use the license under a schools microsoft agreement as that is an upgrade only, so you'd need to buy either retail licenses or OEM licenses then place the COA physical on the mac - sure this would cause some kinda curse to fall upon you of course.

PS: Sorry to rain on your post
    Last edited by matt40k; 6th February 2014 at 03:53 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi Mtt40k,

Thanks for you post, do not understand "Sorry, Ive failed" the thread subject is using parallels + windows install "sims .net" yet you are talking about license with microsoft. The test I covered was for a teacher who uses a iMac in the main. They needed access to Sims .net and having a laptop with Sims .net did not work for this person. Then tried RDP to teachers smartboard computer but this was not an option for this member of staff. If all goes well we will deploy in this manor, virtual box can be used to clone a machine with change of mac address. I am sure VAMT2.0 would be used to change any COA on each computer that is running on a possible three iMacs. Thanks for your reply

Thank Post
    The OEM COA license sticker is non-transferable. You will need to purchase a new (full not upgrade) license for each mac that is running windows in a virtualbox. You can confirm this with Microsoft licensing.

PS: This topic is over 6 years old!!
    Last edited by matt40k; 7th February 2014 at 09:13 AM.

Thank Post
    I run SIMS on VMWare Fusion with little fuss. Sometimes if they suspend the VM they have to manually open the network location but apart from that its all good.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123