+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Birmingham Schools - Where are you going next in Technical; Hello Birmingham Schools, With the coming discontinuation of Facility CMIS I was wondering what other Birmingham Schools are considering doing? ...
    Thank Post

Birmingham Schools - Where are you going next

Hello Birmingham Schools,

With the coming discontinuation of Facility CMIS I was wondering what other Birmingham Schools are considering doing?

I've had a look at SIMS and it all looks fairly standard (you use one MIS system and all that), but I like the idea of Progresso, and lets be honest sooner or later SIMS will probably release a cloud system.

I know SIMS has a presence in a very large percentage of UK schools, but I've also heard the cost implications if we ever become an academy.

What are other schools thinking of doing?

One final question about SIMS - Does it have an equivilent of ePortal (web based system for staff for reporting and attendance)?

/Traps

Unvalidated User
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    Hello Birmingham Schools,

With the coming discontinuation of Facility CMIS I was wondering what other Birmingham Schools are considering doing?

I've had a look at SIMS and it all looks fairly standard (you use one MIS system and all that), but I like the idea of Progresso, and lets be honest sooner or later SIMS will probably release a cloud system.

I know SIMS has a presence in a very large percentage of UK schools, but I've also heard the cost implications if we ever become an academy.

What are other schools thinking of doing?

One final question about SIMS - Does it have an equivilent of ePortal (web based system for staff for reporting and attendance)?

/Traps
    I would like to make one small correction to the above quote. There are no plans to discontinue Facility and ePortal in the short to medium term.

For anyone that would like more information on Progresso and the plans that Serco Learning have, there is an event on the 12th July in conjunction with Link2ICT and Service Birmingham at which we will be able to answer any specific questions.

3. Thanks to PaulHarrington from:

john (27th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    ..... I know SIMS has a presence in a very large percentage of UK schools, but I've also heard the cost implications if we ever become an academy.....
    If you go with SIMS now then you will, presumably, be buying your licences direct with Capita?
    If you do that then they can be novated to the new Acadamy, should you go down that route, for a nominal fee!

Thank Post
    If anyone were to go down the SIMS route, then I know that the SMIS support team down there offer a pretty comprehensive service.

Thank Post
    "novated to the new Academy"? Our school is becoming an academy in September and after waiting a little over a week for a quote we have been told the cost to license Sims under our academy name (and new DfE number) comes to a little over £22k + the cost to migrate the data and a fresh round of 'maintenance'. I am told that we do own the license rather than it being LA owned.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We have SIMS and as far as i know there is no ePortal/Gateway thingy available to us yet...

Thank Post
    Little-Miss, if you are looking at getting a home access solution then Link2ICT can help, either with SLG or VPN. You should ideally log a call with us and someone will be able to talk through the options available and costs.

Btw, could someone point out to me how you put a @mention into a comment in Edugeek? Seen it several times now, but I can't figure out how to add one!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SkywOrca View Post
    Btw, could someone point out to me how you put a @mention into a comment in Edugeek? Seen it several times now, but I can't figure out how to add one!
    @SkywOrca; I just type it out manually, but I might be doing it wrong 'cause it doesn't always work!
    ^^^^^^^ Did it work?!

EDIT: Yes!!!
    Last edited by NorthernSands; 27th June 2011 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Yes!!!

Thank Post
    Arghh, confused... I tried that but it just looked like a mess in the preview screen, so I gave up... Perhaps I should just persist with it. Looks like what you did worked though, since it shows up as another mention in my mentions tab.

Incidentally, I should have said this earlier. If anyone has concerns about what's happening with your MIS provision, or wants to talk through options available if you're looking to become an Academy, Link2ICT are available to talk to. If you log a case with the Service Desk, one of our consultants will be able to discuss all the options open to you and give advice on the alternatives.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've already got VPNs thanks Skyw0rca

you have SLG?

Thank Post
    Probably best if you log a call with us so that someone can talk to you directly. I'm not an SLG person, so I can't give any accurate info. Log a call with the Service Desk and ask to speak to Mark, he should be able to help.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    "novated to the new Academy"? Our school is becoming an academy in September and after waiting a little over a week for a quote we have been told the cost to license Sims under our academy name (and new DfE number) comes to a little over £22k + the cost to migrate the data and a fresh round of 'maintenance'. I am told that we do own the license rather than it being LA owned.
    If you could not novate, then you were presumably originally with an LA for SIMS. If you did own the licences you should have been able to novate them! Phil has stated this on here a number of times now!
    As I said in my original response - if they bought in as a school now with capita (i.e. bought the licences directly from Capita, for the school) then they could novate them if they went down the Academy route later!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    We have SIMS and as far as i know there is no ePortal/Gateway thingy available to us yet...
    If you have SIMS then you can buy into SLG either for Self Hosting, LA Hosting or Capita Hosting - dependent on your circumstances.

tli

Thank Post
    While there's plenty to consider before deciding on the next step, Birmingham schools need to remember why they migrated to CMIS in the first place. SIMS has always remained a good option but wasn't flexible enough for our needs.

SIMS has indeed moved on in the last few years but there are key areas where CMIS is still better. For instance, most Birmingham secondaries have assessment set ups that, because of their complexity, would not be possible to implement fully in SIMS.

From what I've seen, Progresso looks like it will be an excellent product although we will need to see the costs etc before deciding on whether it is good value for money. The other question will be, of course, will all the flexibility that CMIS gives still be in Progresso?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    If you own the licence you should not have a quote of this size - feel free to PM me and I will check.

LAs reclaim any unused maintenance from us and they may pay it back to you - most LAs do. This is detailed in our academy booklet.

You may or may not require our services in order to implement the necessary changes to your databases. If you are a phase 1 academy ask the DfE if you can keep all the data including the old number - if you can you won't need us to help you process very much. Phase 2 academies can keep all data and the DfE is trying to reduce the admin burden further by reducing the changes but advice is variable!

The FMS service saves many days of keying in data if you want to replicate much of your existing data - you can't just use the old structures because they do not fit an academy's requirements. The service also helps staff understand the new reporting requirements that come with academy status.
    Last edited by PhilNeal; 28th June 2011 at 08:33 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast