+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Issue with reporting from Nova-T4 for new teachers in Technical; I've been asked to find out about how new teachers are supposed to be added into T4, to use its ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries

Issue with reporting from Nova-T4 for new teachers

I've been asked to find out about how new teachers are supposed to be added into T4, to use its reporting capabilities.

As I've been told several times that data entry and editing in T4 is just not done any more, there would therefore be a routine for exporting said date from T6 back into T4.

Now, from what I've been told by our staff here 'that's not possible'...

Are they right? Are they supposed to manually be adding staff into T4 for this?

If not, how are they supposed to do it?

Thank Post
    Log a call with the LA Support Team. They will be able to advise you. Nova T4 is now obsolete, and T6 is used for timetabling.

Thank Post
    What are you trying to report on in NT4, as a lot of the funtionality is under Reports in SIMS .net and in NT6, I know this as I am currently working on our new timetable, and it is making my brain hurt

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BKGarry View Post
    What are you trying to report on in NT4, as a lot of the funtionality is under Reports in SIMS .net and in NT6, I know this as I am currently working on our new timetable, and it is making my brain hurt
    I've explained this to the person in question before, and she has specifically said 'no, i want to do it in Nova T4'.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by splattthecat View Post
    Log a call with the LA Support Team. They will be able to advise you. Nova T4 is now obsolete, and T6 is used for timetabling.
    I've advised the member of staff to do this now.

Thank Post
    They are going to get the same answer from the LA Support team, as NT4 is a last resort thing (I can't even run NT4 anymore, error stop it opening) and this member of staff does realise that NT4 is likely to be fully removed in September

Thank Post
    By "added" do you mean so they have a login an password?

Can they not just go in as a default user?

Thank Post
    You can pull data from SQL into Nova-T4 (replacing current data) provided you have the correct access rights configured in Nova-T4. Do it for them (SQL > Nova T4) don't give them access because.....

You can also, if you're missing a patch, push data from T4 to SQL and mess up everyone's day.

I tell our lot it's legacy, has minimal support from me (and Capita) and they need to get comfortable with SIMS Reporting.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    From what i gather, you do have to manually manage teachers in T4 if you're going to use it.
    However, don't encourage it. Just say you were told by a team of experts that it's usage is frowned upon
    We should be putting pressure on Capita to enable the functionality we want rather than resorting to the old ways, at the very least come up with workarounds in T6 for its shortcomings, and drag those old luddites to the .Net revolution

Thank Post
    There is absolutely no reason not to use NT4 for Reporting purposes. Some of the NT4 reporting functionality is not yet in SIMS and is still not as flexible in NT6 as it is in NT4.
    Just ensure that your Staff (and Rooms!) are up to date in NT4 (in Staff General as well as in the Staff Database). Then export from NT6 to NT4 via the Transfer directory. Then import into NT4 from NT6 (via the Transfer directory).
    Then run your reports. The only issue you may have is if you have double staffed a class's lesson! Some reports in NT4 will only show one of them!

Hopefully the NT4 functionality that is missing in SIMS will not be that long arriving. I have actually provided a data set that Capita can experiment/test on - due to the fact that my Timetable is composed of Bands, Sub-Bands and Sub-sub Bands. This is something that failed the first build of the SIMS NovaT reporting when I was involved in the original testing of it!

Thank Post
    Wow Sivadam, I couldn't figure out how to make a sub band this year (which was very annoying) but I got around it in linked classes.

I must admit I use NT4 on my home machine to do some reports, the most vital is children in year 7 to 11 with a free period in the general list, which still isn't there in .net.

The one thing I am really worried about when NT4 does go is being able to use P5, which is a life saver for Parent Consultation evenings.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread