+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Deploying SIMS to workstations - best method? in Technical; Good morning, I am currently setting up a new network for the school (server 2008 with windows 7 clients and ...

Thank Post

Deploying SIMS to workstations - best method?

Good morning,

I am currently setting up a new network for the school (server 2008 with windows 7 clients and no RM- woohoo!). This will be rolled out over summer.

I was thinking about SIMS and the best way to deploy it to workstations. At the moment we manually install it on every machine we need it on. However, this is going to be a problem as we need to rebuild every machine in school over summer and I'm trying to make it as automated as possible to save time.

We are using System Centre Configuration Manager (SCCM) to build our machines and roll out applications. Can I use this to roll out SIMS (silently) and all the required permissions?

Or does someone have a tried and tested method of rolling out SIMS to required machines?

Best regards

Katrina

Thank Post
    Use SOLUS3 - Matt may be able to assist you as you're in his area.

3. Thanks to PhilNeal from:

khoward (20th June 2011)

Thank Post
    We build an image with it on and then deploy that with WDS to all teaching/admin PCs.

It helps us that all teaching PCs are the same specification.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,407 Times in 1,166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
    We build an image with it on and then deploy that with WDS to all teaching/admin PCs.

It helps us that all teaching PCs are the same specification.
    We image too.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    Use SOLUS3 - Matt may be able to assist you as you're in his area.
    @matt40k - is the expert and SOLUS3 is the way forward.

Thank Post
    I'm using MDT2010 and have a script that runs sims setup without a problem

Code:
    start /wait net use R: \\sims-new\sims /User:<server\administrator> <userpassword>
    start /wait R:\sims\setups\simsinfrastructuresetup.exe -a {QuietMode} {SIMSWorkstation}
    start /wait R:\sims\setups\SIMSAMPARKSetup.exe /S {QuietMode} [SIMSDirectory]="R:\SIMS" [SIMSDotNetDirectory]="C:\Program Files

\SIMS\SIMS .net"
    start /wait R:\sims\setups\simsapplicationsetup.exe /S {QuietMode} [SIMSDirectory]="R:\SIMS" [SIMSDotNetDirectory]="C:\Program 

Files\SIMS\SIMS .net"
    start /wait R:\sims\setups\simsmanualsetup.exe /S {QuietMode} [SIMSDirectory]="R:\SIMS" [SIMSDotNetDirectory]="C:\Program Files

\SIMS\SIMS .net"
    start /wait xcopy R:\SIMS\connect.ini "c:\program files\sims\sims .net" /y
    start /wait xcopy R:\SIMS\SIMS.ini "C:\Windows" /y
    We map R: as our sims shared drive (S was already in use for something else) but you can change that if you need.

7. Thanks to cromertech from:

khoward (22nd June 2011)

Thank Post
    If SIMS is already installed on your new server and upgraded to the latest version, you will not be able to use SOLUS3. You can only roll out fresh installs onto new workstations after you install a main upgrade through SOLUS3. This is currently one of it's major flaws (as well as the fact that there is still no way to perform a reinstall of SIMS .net either.)

I'm yet to be convinced about the full abilities of SOLUS3 until a number of other issues are ironed out.
    Last edited by Rawns; 20th June 2011 at 03:10 PM.

Thank Post
    I thought that you just tell SOLUS 3 to push out whatever you are already on, e.g. Spring 11. It will push it out again, or do what it needs to do, then you can push out new installs.

I thought the management interface also allowed you to remove an installation.

I've not experience of SOLUS 3 though, only the little bit of playing around i did with the older version.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    I thought that you just tell SOLUS 3 to push out whatever you are already on, e.g. Spring 11. It will push it out again, or do what it needs to do, then you can push out new installs.

I thought the management interface also allowed you to remove an installation.

I've not experience of SOLUS 3 though, only the little bit of playing around i did with the older version.
    I wish!

You can roll out the agent to any workstations for a site and specify what the workstations role is in SOLUS3 (SIMS workstation, FMS workstation etc) but until you have pushed out a full SIMS update successfully for that site, SIMS won't be installed.

in regards to removal, you can remove the agent via SOLUS3 but not a SIMS installation. Every now and then, there are issues where a simple SIMS uninstall/reinstall does the job, and as of yet, there is no way to do this in SOLUS3.

There seem to be other minor issues as well such as during the application of a patch, the backup fails but SOLUS3 still applies the patch.
    Last edited by Rawns; 20th June 2011 at 04:44 PM.

11. Thanks to Rawns from:

khoward (22nd June 2011)

Thank Post
    I was basing my knowledge on this post by @matt40k SOLUS 3 Deployments

maybe i was mistaken about the process. It's an interesting thread along the same lines as you are interested in.

It seems that those who are reaping the benefits of S3 at the moment are few, so perhaps @khoward will be better off with MDT / SCCM .

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by khoward View Post
    Or does someone have a tried and tested method of rolling out SIMS to required machines?
    Run it via Terminal Service / Remote Desktop Services instead. Install once on a central server, use it from wherever you like (home included). Set up single sign-on (trusted logins) so the user only has to remember their Active Directory username and password, not a separate SIMS one. Set the screensaver on the TS server to lock after 3 minutes, letting teachers use their classroom machines without worrying about leaving the computer logged on and showing personal information.

Thank Post
    Hmm ok, lots of different views here! Thank you for all the responses so far.

Has anyone rolled out with SCCM? Are there any pitfalls I should look out for? I'm not going to be able to do this until the summer holidays when we start switching over to the new network. My SIMS server will remain the same (all being well). My plan will be to remove the server from the current domain and then join the new one. So the server will remain relatively untouched. I will then need to roll SIMS out to all my client machines asap.

Best regards

Katrina

Thank Post
    @rawns - you can redeploy SIMS Spring 11, this will give you a base SIMS release so when you add new workstations, SIMS gets installed. Only problem I've had was when I was a muppet and I entered localhost rather then the servername, so I had to update connect.ini, still S3 can push this out

PS: Summer 11 will be out by then.

16. Thanks to matt40k from:

Rawns (30th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    @rawns - you can redeploy SIMS Spring 11, this will give you a base SIMS release so when you add new workstations, SIMS gets installed. Only problem I've had was when I was a muppet and I entered localhost rather then the servername, so I had to update connect.ini, still S3 can push this out

That's what i had understood from the other thread.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post

Interesting. We are planning on releasing this to a live school soon. So even if the Spring release has been applied, you can just redeploy it and this will cause any new workstations that have the agent installed on them to have SIMS installed automatically?

Question: Does anyone have any FMS related releases/patches available in SOLUS3?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    Interesting. We are planning on releasing this to a live school soon. So even if the Spring release has been applied, you can just redeploy it and this will cause any new workstations that have the agent installed on them to have SIMS installed automatically?
    yes

Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    Question: Does anyone have any FMS related releases/patches available in SOLUS3?
    Not touching patches, still using S2 for patches. I have released FMS Spring 11 via S3. Not installed it to new workstations however, or have I? It's been a whilst since I done it.

20. Thanks to matt40k from:

Rawns (30th June 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread