+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Does anyone use SIMS equipment register? in Technical; Hi All, I am looking at new ways of recording and carrying out our inventory of computer equipment and this ...

Thank Post

Does anyone use SIMS equipment register?

Hi All,

I am looking at new ways of recording and carrying out our inventory of computer equipment and this came up. I know there are a lot of posts on inventories but not many mention actually using SIMS Equipment Register and if it is any good. So my question is does anyone use it and what do you think? How do you use it? Just record names? How do queries work? How customisable is it?

Also as a side note does anyone use an iphone barcode scanner peripheral? Came up as an idea of scanning and recording the equipment.

Thanks for any responses

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Dont use SIMS equipment register, at the moment have our own Excel spreadsheet, but moving to using OPSmartdesk in September.
    I'm guessing you've seen the discussion here: Asset and Inventory Management

We do use barcoded asset tags, though don't use the iPhone scanner. The one i've got just scans the code and looks up a price. I'm assuming there is one that scans to a file. The easiest thing i'd have thought would be a standard scanner like they have in libraries, ideally a wireless one. We're getting one of these for use in our shop.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's something we're looking to do in the very near future and likely will be using OPSmartDesk to do it. SIMS Equipment Register is quite basic.

Thank Post
    I'll have a look at OPSmartdesk thanks, but i'm ideally looking for a free solution. I recently moved into the role and the last technician used an access database but it's in a complete mess and a nightmare to keep up to date and query. Cheers

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tj2419 View Post
    I'll have a look at OPSmartdesk thanks, but i'm ideally looking for a free solution. I recently moved into the role and the last technician used an access database but it's in a complete mess and a nightmare to keep up to date and query. Cheers
    OPSmartdesk is an IT Support package, there is a free solution but that excludes the asset management feature. The paid for solution is however very cheap. Take a look at the last 5 or so pages of this thread: FITS Compliant Web Based Helpdesk - ** RELEASED ** as well as OP SmartDesk - Web Based Helpdesk | Asset Management | Network Monitoring

The benefit is that the helpdesk is linked to the assets and i can't think of anything better to support your claim to update all the old x86 boxes than showing a report that shows that it's those machines that have all the RAM errors, or the hard drive crashes...

EDIT: pricing link -- http://www.opsmartdesk.com/sign-up.aspx
    Last edited by vikpaw; 19th June 2011 at 10:34 AM. Reason: added link to prices

Thank Post
    If you're looking for a free helpdesk that includes asset management and software inventory, you can't go far wrong with Http://www.spiceworks.com. A very powerful helpdesk solution and the ads aren't that intrusive either.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by riffleman View Post
    If you're looking for a free helpdesk that includes asset management and software inventory, you can't go far wrong with Http://www.spiceworks.com. A very powerful helpdesk solution and the ads aren't that intrusive either.
    That's true. I tried the demo but never got on with it. It's hosted right? Our 'net connection isn't reliable enough to use that. Maybe the paid for version can be self-hosted..?

Thank Post
    No Spiceworks can be installed locally. The free version uses some ads, but most of the time you won't even notice they're there.

Thank Post
    +1 for spiceworks - you can let it do a network scan and it will come back with all of the serial numbers for you - very easy to use!

Thank Post
    I think we are intending to expand ER to cover depreciation something that academies require.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread