+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS ISO Password in Technical; Hi all, I've finally got round to sorting our new SIMS out, and have downloaded the Spring 2010 install release. ...

Thank Post

SIMS ISO Password

Hi all,

I've finally got round to sorting our new SIMS out, and have downloaded the Spring 2010 install release. However the ZIP file is password protected. The one from Capita does not work.

I'm at loggerheads, especially as we don't have a support contract with them, which makes things ten times more difficult. Could someone PM me the password?

Many thanks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,305 Times in 1,088 Posts
    That's probably not a good idea unless we can ensure you are from a sims school.

Best thing to do is if you tell us which KB article you followed on supportnet to download the iso an we can try it.

There are two ISOs, a clean install and an upgrade, with differing passwords. The KBs from SupportNet should have the right password for each.

However, the Spring 2011 is out now so you would be best off using that.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    There are two ISOs, a clean install and an upgrade, with differing passwords. The KBs from SupportNet should have the right password for each.
    I have have the install ISO; no access to SupportNet though.

I was sent the link to the file via Captias staff, with an enclosed 'password'.
    I have checked and re-rechecked my typing of it, but WinRAR wants none of it.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Best bet is to get in touch with whoever sent you the ZIP file then. If we give you the password we'd be in trouble ourselves since you could be any old Joe who grabbed the ISO from a torrent (not that I can see why anyone would bother doing that ).

Thank Post
    I've always assumed that any bona fide SIMS users can set up a SupportNet site without issue in a matter of moments - Direct or LA supported. I'm curious as to what scenarios are not authorised to have access to SupportNet then?

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by resin1 View Post
    I've always assumed that any bona fide SIMS users can set up a SupportNet site without issue in a matter of moments - Direct or LA supported. I'm curious as to what scenarios are not authorised to have access to SupportNet then?
    ...and how do you contact Capita and get a reply with link to an old ISO, if not through SupportNet???

Thank Post
    I thought Capita have to verify you first before they 'activate' your account, and that you could only join if you had direct support with them, or worked for an LA with SIMS support? I did not think any 'average Joe' could sign up just like that.

When I joined, there was a field where you could input a colleagues name who was already set up to speed the process up. Even then, it took 48 hours for my account to be enabled.
    Last edited by Rawns; 14th June 2011 at 09:33 AM.

Thank Post
    I remember my colleague could login to confirm I was an employee, if not they normally trying ringing you or someone to confirm you are an employee. Helps if you use your work email address.

Thank Post
    I just had a look on Capita's site. It says

"To use SupportNet you must be registered account holder. Staff in schools and other educational establishments, and support staff in LEAs and other IT support organisations are welcome to apply for an account. Accounts are for named individuals, not establishments. Setting up an account typically takes about 24 hours."

LA supported schools can definately use it - I'm one of them :-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Best bet is to get in touch with whoever sent you the ZIP file then. If we give you the password we'd be in trouble ourselves since you could be any old Joe who grabbed the ISO from a torrent (not that I can see why anyone would bother doing that ).
    That's my suggestion If someone sent you the file, they need to troubleshoot the issues. I don't see the point in using 2010, when you can use 2011 though.

Yes you can, but not in moments. Some LAs / third party support teams frown upon end users using SupportNet - i guess it undermines them. What's really annoying is when you contact support and request a patch or something as told to in a KB, but then get challenged and have to go through their flowchart before you can proceed.

Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    ...and how do you contact Capita and get a reply with link to an old ISO, if not through SupportNet???
    Email, or phone followed by email. Not everyone will know about the new ISO necessarily. In fact until recently it was not published for public (i believe

Quote Originally Posted by Rawns View Post
    I thought Capita have to verify you first before they 'activate' your account, and that you could only join if you had direct support with them, or worked for an LA with SIMS support? I did not think any 'average Joe' could sign up just like that.

When I joined, there was a field where you could input a colleagues name who was already set up to speed the process up. Even then, it took 48 hours for my account to be enabled.
    They do verify, i think you need to have an email address at the establishment for it to work.

I just had a look on Capita's site. It says

"To use SupportNet you must be registered account holder. Staff in schools and other educational establishments, and support staff in LEAs and other IT support organisations are welcome to apply for an account. Accounts are for named individuals, not establishments. Setting up an account typically takes about 24 hours."

LA supported schools can definately use it - I'm one of them :-)
    I have had a number of accounts in the past, as a tech, as a governor, as a sims manager, all using emails local to the organisation. Definitely my first usage was whilst with an LA supported school, we hardly used it back then but we had access. In fact that was how i could see what exactly was in an upgrade by downloading release notes, as the LA only sent out their edited and cut down version which wasn't as useful.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 14th June 2011 at 01:54 PM. Reason: missed out a 'not'.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replies guys, I've now registered with Capita. I had been in contact with them regarding a fresh SIMS install.

Thank Post
    Good job. That's the best way to go. Good luck.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread