+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Nova T4? All functions now in SIMS.net and T6? in Technical; Are all Nova T4 functions now possible in SIMS.net and Nova T6? The reason I ask is that we have ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,889 Posts
    Blog Entries

Nova T4? All functions now in SIMS.net and T6?

Are all Nova T4 functions now possible in SIMS.net and Nova T6?

The reason I ask is that we have 2 members of staff who continue to use T4, one for reporting (which is fine to me) but the other uses it for data manipulation still.

Eg. today, they tried to use it to switch teachers around to allow access to things in Assessment Manager. (ie. I think one teacher was taking on the classes of another, and therefore had to be swapped with another teacher).

Also, can anyone tell me if T4 is going to actually disappear at some point? Or if data editing capabilities will be locked out etc... in the future?

Thank Post
    A lot of the NT4 funtionality is being added to SIMS via the Summer Release.

However, reports such as Year Timetables will not be in SIMS by then. The NT6 reports for this are not as flexible as those in NT4.

NT4 will be around for a while (for reporting purposes only) but NOBODY should now be using it to edit timetables!

3. Thanks to Sivadam from:

localzuk (27th May 2011)

Thank Post
    The last major addition to Nova-T6 will be combing charts (whatever they are) in autumn. I will be arguing to turn off T4 in spring 2012 but there will be a user consultation group to be sure.

5. Thanks to PhilNeal from:

localzuk (27th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thank you for the responses. I thought this would be the case.

I for one, as an admin, would like to see T4 disappear. I just don't want it to disappear without *all* functionality being as easy to do in SIMS.net or T6.

Thank Post
    Doesnt T4 disappear soon anyway? sure I saw it in the roadmap

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irsprint84 View Post
    Doesnt T4 disappear soon anyway? sure I saw it in the roadmap
    They've changed the way their roadmap is displayed - it used to be a grid, with dates etc... but is now a document with explanations of things. Unless I'm just not having any luck finding the old one?

But anyway, that was the whole point of this thread, and between Sivadam and PhilNeal (who is from Capita) I think they've answered it nicely.

Thank Post
    The Reporting in NT6 has been improved greatly over the past few upgrades. I am particulalry pleased that we can now have a font size of less than 8 Point when printing Timetable. I caused some amusement when I requested this at one of the workshops but it has since been actioned!

What we still cannot do, however, is reduce/increase the Cell Width and Cell Height by increments less than 5 when printing Timetables.

I find this functionality to be extremely useful in NT4, as I like to spread my Year Timetables across one full page of A4 Landscape etc. The combined use of small fonts and a more sophisticated Cell size selection enables this process to be much more efficient. So I will still be pushing for this to be improved at any consultation group that I attend (and I am usually at the Nova ones!). I think that I have mentioned this at previous meetings but I have now created a new CR - No. 1105-899612
    Last edited by Sivadam; 27th May 2011 at 10:21 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    You should be able to go in to T4 and edit the access rights. I think you can remove timetable edit and student curriculum functions and they will still be able to run the reports required.
    There is also the option whereby the user doesn't have a specific log-in and just accesses via 'default user'.

Way back to 5 years ago when we first were told about Nova-T4 going, i started to ween the users off it, and telling them they couldn't log in, and had to run reports out of SIMS proper. This was a pain, and i wrote a few where it helped. I figured it best to get them used to a new system, rather than them screaming and shouting on the day it gets turned off, because they haven't tried anything else. Unfortunately, it's still around, and they probably curse me to this day, sorry Annie and Sue in Rushden

For advanced users there is no option for some of the reports, but they really shouldn't be editing things. I know last year, i tried to pull our timetable data in, just so combing charts could be accessed, but it didn't really work very well and as the present timetabler here has only ever used T6, it was easy to just live without the facility though it is something he used in Timetabler! @PhilNeal - it's basically a way of viewing the layout of parts of the timetable to see if it can be arranged efficiently within specified criteria - 'combed' - though i'm no expert. Mike can probably expand on that particular feature better than anyone .

I never realised the bits missing on the new roadmaps. The last one i had in that format was roadmap 2010, and it stated: Nova-T4 Reporting Student and Timetable printing - Support ends Spring 2011. But when it will actually go... who knows. You'll probably have african schools setting up a reporting service, so UK schools send their data out there to have reports run on and sent back!
    Last edited by vikpaw; 28th May 2011 at 02:10 PM.

Thank Post
    I still use T4 for exporting reports to Excel etc. I find it quicker and easier than SIMS.net. I also use it for autoscheduling linear groups, and fine tuning linear groups manually. I then have to copy it into T6! But it shows much more information about clashes etc than the equivalent group mode in T6. I also don't know how to print a curriculum diagram in T6. In T4 you can print each year with staffing spaces for curriculum leaders to add information. I cannot find this functionality in T6.

I have recently retired from doing the cover! However I found SIMS.net cover far less intuitive than T4 cover. The window is smaller than T4 and keeps jumping around. You have to click on the teacher, not add the initials etc, etc.

You may have guessed that I am a Nova fan, and have been since Clive Stott ran it from Frome!

Thank Post
    Capita are actively working on reproducing the missing NT4 Reports for SIMS.net.
    I know this because I have just sent them my data so that they can look at Year Timetables that cope with derived years and Sub-Bands!
    At the same time I also requested (again) some enhancements such as you describe!
    It's nice to hear from a fellow long term Nova user!
    There can't be that many of us surviving!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 9th June 2011 at 10:10 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread