+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
MIS Systems Thread, Something to keep an eye on from DfE in Technical; Originally Posted by matt40k What is it they say about counting chickens haha!!! I'm sure your track record will continue ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    What is it they say about counting chickens haha!!! I'm sure your track record will continue and no one will leave, only your numbers will increase by then. I think it's good that you haven't published anything - I suspect it might get you into a sticky situation if you did.
    Not really, it's publicly available data. It's facts and figures that can't really be debated.

As far as counting chickens goes, of course one should be conservative. So let's just wait and see !

Thank Post
    Where you getting the data from out of interest - could always do with more public data sources

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just let us do it for you

Thank Post
    When I say publicly available you might have to request it but in theory I believe the DfE have no problem giving access to historical census stats.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That is what I and @matt40k have been doing...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    I believe @GREED has requested previous years data, I'm submitting a FOI for latest numbers at the end of the month. I've also asked if they can make it a data set so you can just get at it rather then someone having to request it. I've been working on combining with other data sources - such as ICT expenditure, geo location (so you can overlay it onto the map), performance data and social data. Idea is you'll be able to connect Excel\PowerBI to the data and do your own analysis, such as finding out what other schools of your "type" are selecting and rather than schools in your local area.

Yes, defo be interesting, have spoke to @GREED about it a lot, I mean it's ok saying you can migrate from x to y system, but when you've got a tool that you install with a few clicks then leave running for few hours later, you've loaded another MIS and it's ready to go. That will be the day we'll see a lot more changes in the MIS market.
    Great that you two are on the case - I'll keep a keen eye out for your FOI. I've met @GREED and had fun conversations but don't think we've ever come across each other? Give us a shout if you're ever in London and fancy popping by our Holborn offices for a coffee...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    @bringmoredata - i like what you've done with that tool. very nice.

Is it possible to have a system of tweaking the underlying data so we could project a hypothesis forwards, e.g. what if all the pearson went to RM, and see the results.?
    I know i've seen a system, can't think what it was, where you get the table next to the graph and can fiddle the numbers for analysis.

givehimmoredata ...
    @matt40k - i believe the point was that if a RasPI can do it, then it is very simple to do, all it needs is for you to plug it in, point it at SIMS, log in, and it will create a working demo with real data. I don't want to sidetrack down the route of safety of sending off your data, contracts, etc. The main point is if it's that simple to do, and you can get a live demo - then that is awesome, and not many people offer you a working sample.

Unfortunately, i didn't even get to see a live demo at BETT due to bad internetz
    Thanks @vikpaw - nice to be welcomed!

That's an interesting suggestion on future modelling, though I'm afraid I don't know an easy way to do it. Also, to be honest, I think there isn't enough trend data to project forward... though I'm sure @matt40k's Jan census FOI request will help to update the picture. I'll add that data into my model when it comes through...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bringmoredata View Post
    Great that you two are on the case - I'll keep a keen eye out for your FOI. I've met @GREED and had fun conversations but don't think we've ever come across each other? Give us a shout if you're ever in London and fancy popping by our Holborn offices for a coffee...
    Let this man take you for lunch, you'll eat with dead people! Fun conversations indeed @bringmoredata

If @matt40k ever leaves Suffolk, I have first dibs on buying him a pint!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 1,156 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bringmoredata View Post
    Is that offer open to anyone...? Do you have EduHobNobs - you should know they are like currency on here, especially chocolate ones
    @scholarpack - congrats - shh....
    Last edited by vikpaw; 6th March 2014 at 05:30 AM. Reason: quoted wrong post!

Thank Post
    Updated based on the Spring School Census 2014 (https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ls_use_to_re_4)

(Increase percentage based on figures from Autumn 2013 census - Something to keep an eye on from DfE)

Arbor 24 26%
    Aspen 7 -13%
    Bromcom 65 59%
    SIMS 18229 2%
    DatabridgeMiS Census 4 0%
    iSAMS 7 40%
    RM SMS G2 1762 1%
    ScholarPack 139 14%
    WautonSamuel 180 0%
    Advanced Learning 1176 -3%

11. 2 Thanks to matt40k:

GREED (10th April 2014), vikpaw (10th April 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 1,156 Posts
    Hrmph!

Thanks @matt40k for taking the time to put together and share for reference.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Indeed @matt40k +1

Thank Post
    Does show we need to get every Census rather then just the Autumn Census as there appears to be enough change. (Just don't change your spreadsheet just yet!)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think it is really useful to have a summary as you have done each Census, with a full blown analysis put in each year (spreadsheet). It is good to have the spacing equal, and the Autumn census is the one where most change happens due to a September migration, so I won't be changing the spreadsheet (yet).

It's good to keep on top of the number, with a caveat that a sudden rise on one 4 month period does not necessitate a trend... well except with two suppliers we know are down the pan

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789