+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Something to keep an eye on from DfE in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    It's still positive. OK Capita only lost 1% of its customers this year, but that's about 200 schools (I think?) in England, add in the fact the market grow by 50 odd schools from last year, now lets say it's £1k per school, that's £200k lost from a possible £50k profit before taking into account one of the big 3 pulling out and another being sold, they shouldn't be dropping. Just proves what a little forum can do to the big corporate machine.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    It's still positive. OK Capita only lost 1% of its customers this year, but that's about 200 schools (I think?) in England, add in the fact the market grow by 50 odd schools from last year, now lets say it's £1k per school, that's £200k lost from a possible £50k profit before taking into account one of the big 3 pulling out and another being sold, they shouldn't be dropping. Just proves what a little forum can do to the big corporate machine.
    Having looked at the data in more detail, by my calculations Capita lost 138 schools... but I also think that only 373 schools switched... so the net loss equates to 37% of the total number of switchers! That makes me think that, as soon as one of the cloud insurgents make data migration so simple that people stop fearing switching, the transformation of the market could be dramatic.

I've just blogged on the subject, including a Tableau visualisation which you can use to analyse the underlying data:

Bring more data: The School Information System market is changing faster than you think

Thanks matt40k for liberating the data from the DfE - I had great fun looking at it!

3. Thanks to bringmoredata from:

vikpaw (5th March 2014)

Thank Post
    I believe @GREED has requested previous years data, I'm submitting a FOI for latest numbers at the end of the month. I've also asked if they can make it a data set so you can just get at it rather then someone having to request it. I've been working on combining with other data sources - such as ICT expenditure, geo location (so you can overlay it onto the map), performance data and social data. Idea is you'll be able to connect Excel\PowerBI to the data and do your own analysis, such as finding out what other schools of your "type" are selecting and rather than schools in your local area.

Yes, defo be interesting, have spoke to @GREED about it a lot, I mean it's ok saying you can migrate from x to y system, but when you've got a tool that you install with a few clicks then leave running for few hours later, you've loaded another MIS and it's ready to go. That will be the day we'll see a lot more changes in the MIS market.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    ...but when you've got a tool that you install with a few clicks then leave running for few hours later, you've loaded another MIS and it's ready to go. That will be the day we'll see a lot more changes in the MIS market.
    That is what Arbor purports to do from SIMS - using a RasPI - but i haven't seen or heard of it working yet.
    If you're listening Arbor Gods - send me a RasPI with that funky case ....

If that works surely it will be the start of ArborGeddon

Thank Post
    Quick!!! Get on the phone to the EduSolicitor to get that trademarked before they use it!!

I would say why, why, why would you use a rpi, but clearly it's working as a marketing gimmick (at least on @vikpaw) and who am I to deny a company dishing out free rpi
    Last edited by matt40k; 5th March 2014 at 01:13 PM. Reason: removed excess "le"

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    @bringmoredata - i like what you've done with that tool. very nice.

Is it possible to have a system of tweaking the underlying data so we could project a hypothesis forwards, e.g. what if all the pearson went to RM, and see the results.?
    I know i've seen a system, can't think what it was, where you get the table next to the graph and can fiddle the numbers for analysis.

givehimmoredata ...
    @matt40k - i believe the point was that if a RasPI can do it, then it is very simple to do, all it needs is for you to plug it in, point it at SIMS, log in, and it will create a working demo with real data. I don't want to sidetrack down the route of safety of sending off your data, contracts, etc. The main point is if it's that simple to do, and you can get a live demo - then that is awesome, and not many people offer you a working sample.

Unfortunately, i didn't even get to see a live demo at BETT due to bad internetz

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I believe @GREED has requested previous years data, I'm submitting a FOI for latest numbers at the end of the month. I've also asked if they can make it a data set so you can just get at it rather then someone having to request it. I've been working on combining with other data sources - such as ICT expenditure, geo location (so you can overlay it onto the map), performance data and social data. Idea is you'll be able to connect Excel\PowerBI to the data and do your own analysis, such as finding out what other schools of your "type" are selecting and rather than schools in your local area.

Yes, defo be interesting, have spoke to @GREED about it a lot, I mean it's ok saying you can migrate from x to y system, but when you've got a tool that you install with a few clicks then leave running for few hours later, you've loaded another MIS and it's ready to go. That will be the day we'll see a lot more changes in the MIS market.

I have requested census 2010 and 2011 data to combine with 2012 and 2013 I already have to publicise the changes over 4 years, particularly given most contracts are 3 years. I'll put some pretty charts together too.
    @matt40k maybe something to work on together then and share, I was looking at the phases of schools to analyse too, you seem to be going one stage further

I want to combine it with the MIS survey result, would be a good publication.
    Last edited by GREED; 5th March 2014 at 02:18 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    i believe the point was that if a RasPI can do it, then it is very simple to do, all it needs is for you to plug it in, point it at SIMS, log in, and it will create a working demo with real data. I don't want to sidetrack down the route of safety of sending off your data, contracts, etc. The main point is if it's that simple to do, and you can get a live demo - then that is awesome, and not many people offer you a working sample.

I don't think it would be simple, the rpi that is. First, lets assume the company(ies) has been approved by DfE, LA, loads of security folks and everyone is happy, even I'm happy. OK, so they ship the rpi to you, now you need to plug it in, give it a static ip, configure the ip, errr... how? Oh you need a keyboard and a mouse, so you're assuming you have a spare keyboard and mouse (ok secondary school defo, primary, maybe not), then you need a hdmi monitor or at least a dvi and adapter, things start to come unstuck now. Then for a secondary school, its defo not going to be able to crunch that data so it's going to use the cloud, fair enough, but now we need configure the proxy (then we run into proxy issues). Not even before we look at the extra dev time to actually build it on linux - not impossible but defo harder.

My point is, it's a sales gimmick, the practical solution is to give you a bit of software to install. Personally, from a LA perspective, I'd like that software to exist and do it's job REALLY well. I mean can you image when it comes to MIS revaluation, bosh the software on, pool a list of MIS systems, get the schools to filter the list down, do the checks like security, then point the software at the one they want to evaluate. If it was really good, and I mean really good, you could keep the two sync'd, so you could have some classes using one system and others using another. So yes, really would like something like that to exist - demo with actual data would be awesome, but it doesn't, you get stuck doing eval on demo data which of course is going to work then you spend mega bucks getting your data migrated only for bits to get dropped of. Be interested to see how many people migrate to a system, then back a few years later because of such decides and the cost of doing so.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    I was looking at the phases of schools to analyse too, you seem to be going one stage further
    Blame those pesky MS Power BI demos for inspiring me!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Blame those pesky MS Power BI demos for inspiring me!!
    Hey if you got the time go right ahead I wish I had the time to be able to do and publish the in depth analysis. Regardless of the output it would be good to keep it live or as live as possible for all to see year on year.

Thank Post
    Haha, haven't got the time, that's my current problem!!! I just need to sit down for a evening and finish it. I don't think I'll do any analysis, just data model it and publish it as a public data set. I'll let you lot draw the conclusions from the data. I'm sure we'll see a lot of spin on the data too!

Thank Post
    Wait til the Oct 14 data if you thought this was interesting...

Thank Post
    Figures won't be available till Dec. Guess it'll be a nice xmas present for you guys - so what you getting us lot?

Thank Post
    Well, we know throughout the year how many schools we are adding so we don't have to wait until Dec to know that BUT these figures are extremely interesting to us to see the movement of the other suppliers. We have already done our own internal analysis of the previous 3 years data but we don't have time to sort anything out public facing.

Thank Post
    What is it they say about counting chickens haha!!! I'm sure your track record will continue and no one will leave, only your numbers will increase by then. I think it's good that you haven't published anything - I suspect it might get you into a sticky situation if you did.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast