+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Something to keep an eye on from DfE in Technical; Originally Posted by vikpaw Quick download it fast.! hehe, Internet FTW!!...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Quick download it fast.!
    hehe, Internet FTW!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The results are not for public release without explicit permission from the GPT. Such statements can risk said suppliers position on the list.

Interesting However to see who else made the list, particularly those who supply both systems... Who the GPT considers suitable suppliers for such systems...
    Last edited by GREED; 31st March 2012 at 09:17 PM.

3. Thanks to GREED from:

JohnCondon (2nd April 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nickbro View Post
    We've just had this come down to us in Powys. We are no longer allowed to go directly to suppliers not on the framework lists, if the value is over 30k, and even then we need to use a special code with that supplier to get a county/DfE discount.

We are also only allowed to use the County's Leasing Company, and that leases can only now be 4 years or less.

We have come to the end of our current 5 year RM lease (April anyhow), and need to replace stuff, so doing everything on a shoe string as usual, managed to get a good deal with RM, but county have thrown the 3 Framework quotes at us, we had 3 quotes from our usual suppliers, but they didn't use the framework code (as 1 was on the framework list) or weren't on the framework list to begin with.

Hopefully we'll get everything in place for the end of the Month so we can meet RM's deal deadline
    I've not heard anything of this in Swansea where I am. We have to seek quotes for anything over £1000. I thought I could get around this by putting things on different order forms and numbers. Seems that it is on 'cumulative' £1000. So getting one order for £600 and one for £500 from the same company would mean I needed quotes

I've never been told that I have to order from the Value Wales framework either. Funny think is I've just had a quote for 2 Dell servers and a SAN that I was told was priced to the Value Wales framework but it's the same price as another company that are not on the Value Wales framework.

All very confusing but at the moment I am ordering from where I want to.

Gareth

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Well i tried, and failed I guess it makes sense, they did the work to make things easier for the schools, not so the suppliers on there can have an extra marketing tool It's a shame, and if anyone can think of a convincing argument that i can request access with, speak freely , or if you are a public sector school and would like me to act on your behalf as a researcher then follow the instructions :

Dear Vik Paw.

Thank you for your request, we regret to inform you that application has not been successful.

Thank you for completing our online registration form to become a customer of Government Procurement Service.

Unfortunately, we are unable to accept your registration, as it appears from your e-mail address that you are not in the public sector.

The Government Procurement Service framework agreements are for the exclusive use of public sector organisations, or companies working on their behalf. If you are working on behalf of a public sector customer, we need confirmation from them before proceeding with your registration. Please ask them to e-mail this confirmation to info@gps.gsi.gov.uk

If you are interested in becoming a Government Procurement Service supplier, please visit
    Buying Solutions - about us - supplier zone

Regards,

Government Procurement Services Customer Care

Government Procurement Services Customer Care

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Good plan @vikpaw a shame you wouldn't be able to share the results...

Thank Post
    I just want to look in detail at the framework and see what the compare tool does. Especially in light of the dubiously released information that ranks the systems in order. I'd like to see just how that arrangement came about and how the elements were weighted.
    As with anything it's all well and good throwing data / numbers around, but it's nice to see how they were reached.

Thank Post
    There is some very useful advice and guidance here IMLS framework: advice and guidance - Schools

It ought to be easily found on the website, however a lot of the links especially for the framework seem to send you around in a cycle, so posting here for reference if anyone wants more info.

9. Thanks to vikpaw from:

GREED (2nd April 2012)

Thank Post
    NOTICE

Following some consultation, the links to outside content have been removed as the content is unofficial and thus cause for much speculation.

Unconfirmed sources and speculation cannot provide reliable information and therefore it is in the best interests of members to remove that information.

The Dfe have announced the supplier lists, as per previous links, and each supplier has made public their status of being successful ( or not ) on their own sites.

Please avoid referring to the ranking of suppliers or further discussion centred around this area.

The link in my previous post provides some very good examples of how to come up with your own specifications and to make best use of the framework to see which of the approved suppliers best fit your needs. Each establishment will come to it's own conclusion as to which is most suitable for them.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 2nd April 2012 at 11:09 AM.

11. Thanks to vikpaw from:

GREED (2nd April 2012)

Thank Post
    What does this mean if we we're looking to a supplier that isn't on this list? Is that bad? Can suppliers be added onto this list during the framework period?

If we weren't going to be paying anything for our MIS? Can we ignore this, or do we still have to participate in the interest of fair competition?

Thank Post
    I believe the idea is that if you choose off the list you don't have to go to tender, as it's pre-approved, or not needing to get multiple quotes. something like that. Check the documentation on the dfe website.

If you're getting it for free, i think you're fine, so long as it's free forever and there is no bias i.e. kickbacks. Free for a year is a bit difficult because you get an element of vendor lock-in so should shop around and consider total cost over 3 / 5 years.

14. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Banford (3rd April 2012)

Thank Post
    Frameworks set up by GPS and various Gov't departments are done to allow schools and other pulic sector bodies to purchase on a range of requirements and in the knowledge that a chunk of the procurement work (eg financial suitability, support, etc) has already been done. This allows schools to spend their time focussing on the requirements and the relationship with the companies involved.

It is not compulsary to purchase from the framework unless any future funding is tied in with doing so, which is unlikely in the present climate of devolving responsibility.

You can choose from the suppliers via mini-competition (with the usual procurement caveats about best value and VfM) but there is no need to go out to full tender (least of all OJEU level) when choosing from suppliers on the framework. If you are choosing a mix of suppliers on and off the framework then you do need to follow your usual full procurement processes (which vary depending on the value of services being purchased).

For more advice on procurement please contact your LA or procurement advice service (if taking such a service idependently of your LA, if part of an academy group / free school / UTC or if an independent school), or follow the links of the Dep't for Education website about buying specific goods and services.
    Buying specific goods and services - Schools
    Last edited by TonySheppardNCC; 3rd April 2012 at 11:43 AM.

16. 4 Thanks to TonySheppardNCC:

Banford (3rd April 2012), GREED (4th April 2012), matt40k (3rd April 2012), vikpaw (3rd April 2012)

Thank Post
    Yeah it would be more like free to start with. So we should consider alternatives.

I did read through a lot of the links provided, but it's a complex thing. At the moment we aren't looking to tender, but we possibly will need to if the current system doesn't meet requirements. (Which it looks like is going to happen.)

I suppose this is the kind of thing that will help us out, as it's creating a baseline standard of quality and reliability as well as ensuring competition. Do you know if people can be added to that list? I didn't catch that anywhere.

Thank Post
    Apparently many suppliers didn't respond to the request to apply. I suppose in theory people can be added, but i can't imagine they want to do it in dribs and drabs.

Thank Post
    But I can imagine a supplier of that kind of system who is not on that list might want to be. Especially if people opt to start using it.

Thank Post
    Are you referring to a certain MIS system that is "free", but requires you to take the parents portal which displays ads? This might have issues due to the way it is financed. I could be wrong. Like Tony said, contact your LA procurement advice service - they might offer this service to academies (for a price of course).

21. Thanks to matt40k from:

Banford (3rd April 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast