+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
MIS Systems Thread, Batch create Aspects in SIMS? in Technical; Originally Posted by tben2505 And there doesn't seem to be a way of easily finding the ID - furthermore, it ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tben2505 View Post
    And there doesn't seem to be a way of easily finding the ID - furthermore, it seems (redundantly) every aspect not only needs the gradeset ID, but also the grades and equivalent values of that gradeset. Which is silly!
    Although SIMs exports all that information when exporting aspects, that is only so that if those aspects were to be transferred to a new system, it would know which grades the gradeset was made up of, I can't really see another way it could work.

However, when creating new aspects for your own system using existing gradesets, you only need to specify the gradeset ID, which can be found quite easily by running a report to extract the external ID's (you'll need "Third Party Reporting" permissions on your login).

This workbook could quite easily be adapted to add a list of available gradesets in a dropdown on each row... when I have time I'll knock something together and upload it

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Although SIMs exports all that information when exporting aspects, that is only so that if those aspects were to be transferred to a new system, it would know which grades the gradeset was made up of, I can't really see another way it could work.

However, when creating new aspects for your own system using existing gradesets, you only need to specify the gradeset ID, which can be found quite easily by running a report to extract the external ID's (you'll need "Third Party Reporting" permissions on your login).

This workbook could quite easily be adapted to add a list of available gradesets in a dropdown on each row... when I have time I'll knock something together and upload it
    Ah of course that makes complete sense!!

So the only additional thing it would need, then, is if your new aspect doesn't require a gradeset (eg it's a comment, mark integer - etc) there would have to be a way of entering those parameters too, right?

In the very firs instance, though, I imagine the most wanted would be to add gradesets and marks (decimal/integer)!

So LosOjos, it sounds like you dfo lots in Assessment - what kind of things do you do? Are you in the IT dept or data manager of some sort?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    So the only additional thing it would need, then, is if your new aspect doesn't require a gradeset (eg it's a comment, mark integer - etc) there would have to be a way of entering those parameters too, right?
    Indeed, there are ways you can specify this, I suspect for ease of use the easiest way from a "throwing something together in Excel" point of view would be to have separate sheets depending on what type you're creating, so that they could be kept as simple as possible (i.e. the grades type would have a gradeset drop down, marks-decimal type would have min & max etc.)

So LosOjos, it sounds like you dfo lots in Assessment - what kind of things do you do? Are you in the IT dept or data manager of some sort?
    Indeed I do do a lot in assessment - I'm the data manager for a large secondary. I had the "good fortune" [read: "absolute nightmare of a task"] of setting up a SIMs install's assessment module from scratch this year when we merged with another local school, so time saving things like this have become absolutely essential to me! If you search hard enough, there is almost always a way of exploiting something in SIMs to speed things up a bit; I keep intending to start a blog detailing all these little tips & tricks I find, but finding time for that amongst everything else is proving futile!

Thank Post
    Ah OK - sounds like a big job. I've been a data manager for 7 years (there wasn't many of us around when I first started) and become increasingly more involved in the strategic side of things, teaching staff to interpret the data, use it properly for raising achievement and gaining outstanding ofsteds - unfortunately just started in a new school which is about where my old school was when I started 7 years ago in terms of data use etc.

So i'm starting all over again!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123