+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Can't change 'First day of the school week'. How do you cope? in Technical; Mornin' all. For those who's school day doesn't start on a Monday, how do you cope in SIMS? When creating ...
    Thank Post

Question Can't change 'First day of the school week'. How do you cope?

Mornin' all.

For those who's school day doesn't start on a Monday, how do you cope in SIMS?

When creating a new academic year there is a drop down to change the first day, which the help files tell you to use, only you can't; it's greyed out. Capita have confirmed that this is the case, going as far as saying that it's illogical to even have it there!

I've logged a change request (1105-892662) but I'd appreciate knowing how others deal with this. You may also count this as a shameless plug to have it voted on!

Cheers!

EDIT: Just to confirm what I mean...

Our week runs thus:

Sunday
    Monday
    Tuesday
    Wednesday
    Thursday

SIMS sees the week thus:

Monday (which is the 2nd day of the week)
    Tuesday
    Wednesday
    Thursday
    Sunday (which is the start of the following week)
    Last edited by NorthernSands; 17th May 2011 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Clarification

Thank Post
    I'm pretty sure you mark the day as not used for teaching.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    I'm pretty sure you mark the day as not used for teaching.
    Our school week runs from Sunday through to Thursday. We have Friday and Saturday not ticked when creating the new academic year. Only SIMS see the working week as Monday through Thursday, then Sunday at the end of the week (which is next weeks Sunday, not this weeks, if that makes sense!).

Sorry, should have been clearer in my original post.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,157 Posts
    Sun-Thurs working week? what kind of crazy land are you living in?! Normality resides in a Sat-Wed week.

The only time it really affects us is in the named cycle reports so e.g. homepage panel 'previous week', and in built-in lesson monitor ones. We either dont use it or when choosing the timeframe we just have to choose the monday before the date we need, same with viewing cover, and then choose to view 2 weeks worth.

Basically we have to live with it. Many years ago before i got here, it was pursued quite frequently, and the IT Manager was just told it was something that was coming.... we stopped asking now.

Apparently the new link of homepage panel cycle to school diary, is supposed to make things better in that area, but i'm not sure how it will work in practise.

Is there anywhere in particular it's a real pain?

I have managed to doctor an xml template to allow the registration certificate report, (the nice one with colour pie chart, from display marks screen) to look like our week as we send it home to parents and need it to make sense. The rows are fudged to show the end of one UK week, and the start of the next. It was a real pain to do and the biggest issue has been that it doesn't appear to use a date function/variable, but has dates pulled out of sims as text fields (i think) in an array, and of course all those week commencing dates refer to a Monday. So i have to run javascript over the top of the template to put the dates in that i want. It needs to be edited each year as the start date is manually configured, but it works very well.

If you're interested i can try and hack something together for your weird week and send it over, but it took a while to get it to work, so might have to wait a few weeks til summer.

I'm supposed to be talking with the product manager to get the dates issue sorted more elegantly, but i'm not sure it's possible, and also i'd like the option to make that template my global default in the system. At the moment it has to be invoked for each print, so i have a vbscript that calls it up for each student due to the "can't bulk print the display marks attendance report" issue. Otherwise it's way more clicking and choosing a file from a browser . ..
    Last edited by vikpaw; 17th May 2011 at 08:17 AM.

5. Thanks to vikpaw from:

NorthernSands (18th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Sun-Thurs working week? what kind of crazy land are you living in?! Normality resides in a Sat-Wed week.
    Hehe!

It's just generally annoying. This school haven't been very good up to my arrival with monitoring attendance and using all the wonderful reports and so on in SIMS. Now that I've shown them it's become quite a disappointment to them to find they don't work correctly. It obviously affects all 'Week' based attendance reports, Edit Marks, the Display Mark screen, School Diary etc...

It strikes me as a feature they've removed, rather than something that's yet to be added, given that the drop down box is there and the help files tell you to use it. At the Independent Conference this year we were told that there is a new Independent school development team and that they will focus more on International schools. Let's hope that these things will mean we'll see this rather important feature added to SIMS.

Directly delving into the database tables is not something I've done up to now. How does your xml report work for the Display Marks? Sound intriguing! And yes, it is really annoying that you can't bulk print them. I must have been asked by about 100 schools for that facility!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,157 Posts
    Ah yes, i forgot about edit marks, mine goes Mon,Tue,Wed,Sat,Sun then i have to go to the next week. It's exactly the same output that would go in display marks.
    The week beginning really should be determined from something we set in the diary. Stongly Agreed by the way, though i doubt it will have much effect.

I found that you are supposed to be able to edit the attendance codes in the manual, but in practise even with an independent school installation, it doesn't work. Absence pay rate is not available as a drop down field in personnel section, yet you can report on it and it takes a default value. Again, this is a fault that is only on the independent database, but to fix it i had to log a change request. These are bugs, but as long as we have to go through the change request saga, they'll never get sorted.

Lets hope the new team gives us our own change request system, something radically different to the regular one.

I don't go into the db, only on occasion to find something or look at an error, and on a test server of course .

The xml just takes a basic template and then rejigs the data by saying show me result 4 and 5 from preceding data item, and items 1,2,3 from current item, because as you say the week is split up. It's a pain and i had to learn a lot of xsl to get it to function.

If you can print the raw xml of what your site produces with week view[stripping out name at top, it's only there once], i can modify my template if you like. It's not elegant, as it needs to do an iteration of week and fill it with essentially if then statements, but it works fairly quickly.

The version for you would work in the rest of the middle east so is going to be very useful. I also make a slight modification to eliminate the first two weeks from September so it starts in the first week of term instead of showing blanks, and also manipulate the code list on the right to show that Y means enforced closure as we seem to have some every year due to rain, or other political strife.

Other annoyances we have are that we don't need a pm session, it's not ticked in our academic year, yet it still shows on lesson monitor and display marks etc. so i've ripped that column out too. Will mail you a sample.
    Last edited by vikpaw; 18th May 2011 at 08:08 AM. Reason: sense

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread