+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Discover - recommended machine spec in Technical; This is my first time posting on Edugeek! I'm a data manager in a high school - I don't get ...

Thank Post

Discover - recommended machine spec

This is my first time posting on Edugeek!
    I'm a data manager in a high school - I don't get too involved in the techie side of things, my job is mainly data analysis.
    Has anyone come up with a realistic recommended spec for running Discover? I've asked our network manager to install it on my machine, and there was one of those sharp intakes of breath when he read SIMS' system requirements for this functionality, especially when he got to the part about 4 gig of RAM and a dedicated graphics card. No machine in the school has the capability to run this software. However, I read on SupportNet that people are running it successfully with lower spec machines. My computer has only onboard graphics and 1 Gb of RAM, so I guess as far as Discover is concerned it's a donkey.
    Any thoughts, comments, experiences?
    Thanks...

Thank Post
    Try it on your kit. We haven't found any obvious pattern. The release version is far faster than that of the trial.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    @kabuki:

I would expect even someone who is a data manager to understand the basic principals of "More is better" based on the facts that Capita have given the workstation specifications as you have reported.

No wonder your NM had a sharp intake of breath, I would be looking at getting a new workstation with 4Gb Ram and a dedicated Graphics card as you will find that the more you use Discover the more you will want from it therefore increasing the workload of the workstation.

Common sense really ;D

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    @kabuki:

I would expect even someone who is a data manager to understand the basic principals of "More is better" based on the facts that Capita have given the workstation specifications as you have reported.
    Are you always that patronising? So much for a friendly welcome to a first time poster!
    Of course I understand the "principals"(sic) of "more is better", but that wasn't really my question. I had read of people using a lower spec computer and reporting that Discover worked fine on them, and I was just wondering what other users' experiences were like and whether any conclusions could be drawn as to a realistic spec that the software could run on.

5. Thanks to kabuki from:

MGSTech (13th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Welcome to Edugeek - We have tried discover using onboard graphics and 2GBs of RAM and it was usable but not amazing, there was a fair bit of judder and took time to do some things which are quite simple. It is very graphics intensive, which is probably why Capita have a recommended / optimum spec?

Ask your NM if he will install it and give it a go, if it isnt up to scratch at least you know some money may need to be invested, but then again if you find it works ok itll have been worth the test?

Thank Post
    we're upping our 2GB machines to 4GB but all have on board graphics atm. (bar the heads as he's got a dual head graphics card). 4GB was the recommendation from our sims consultant that we use I believe.

Thank Post
    Try it, as Phil says, on older lower spec kit but ensure that you add a separate graphics card first if it is not already present. It does not need to be an expensive one either!
    You may be pleasantly surprised!
    It is fine on my workstation:- Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU, 2.66 Ghz, 1.98 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS
    Last edited by Sivadam; 13th May 2011 at 03:27 PM.

Thank Post
    Its on SupportNet in the Sticky - SIMS System Requirements Document:

Computer and processor Minimum: 1.8 GHz processor or higher.
    Recommended: Dual Core 3 GHz processor or higher.
    Graphics Card Minimum: DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver.
    Recommended: Dedicated graphics card with the latest drivers installed and not an integrated chipset.
    Memory Minimum: 2GB or higher.
    Recommended: 4GB or higher.
    Disk space guidance Not applicable.
    .NET Framework .NET Framework 4.
    Operating system and software Operating System (32‐bit only) — Microsoft Windows XP Pro (SP3 or above), Microsoft Windows Vista Business (SP2)
    or Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (SP1, 32‐bit and 64‐bit.)

EDIT: Sorry I misread what you wanted, please ignore.
    Last edited by apeo; 13th May 2011 at 04:07 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    @kabuki:

Are first time posters always so "Paranoid" as this was in no way meant to be as you call it "Patronising" if you read the post, I cannot help how you have perceived it!

As you can see from my other posts on here that I have always tried to be as helpful as ever and my reputation goes before me on this forum so you can make of that what you like.

Do me a favour and take your forefinger of your right hand and curl it on the tip of your right thumb, now place it on your left shoulder and flick!

That should do the trick (Now this is Sarcasm cos you have inflamed my good nature) ;D

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread