+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
MIS Systems Thread, Summer Release 2011 in Technical; Yep, me too. Less than one hour at 7.15am. Several hours if started during the day when all Sheffield Users ...
    Thank Post
    Yep, me too.
    Less than one hour at 7.15am. Several hours if started during the day when all Sheffield Users are on the very poor Broadband connection that we keep subscribing to (now there is another issue!)
    We have quite a large database! Though I expect larger schools will have bigger ones!

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    We have to bring the data back here then FTP it. Fortunately we have fast connection to all but 2 schools. Except the 2 we have no connection to.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    The new FTP servers are pretty hot if you get a chance to try them.
    I'd have thought there would be command line options for encryption as well as compression levels, so it should all work. Or you could look at @matt40k 's TidyBackups routine which could be used. Maybe it could be modified to allow you to run a backup too, and / or redirect the output. Usually the most recent overnight backup should be sufficient for Capita, unless it's literally a case of clicked an irreversible routine which then broke something. So access to those would be a workaround.
    It is a loss of functionality, but they've taken it away, and these alternatives are pretty darn good, so worth considering.

Thank Post
    With version 2 of TidyBackups I was aiming to create a library that people could use, so Capita use it to replicate the old tidy backups in SysMan6, however rather then a static list that Capita adds when they're tool it used, it would look at the directory and work out if it's a backup, what type of backup (mssql backup, discover export), if it's compressed, the compression technology, how old it is, any description, size (uncompressed\compressed), if it's corrupt (compressed file only) and so on, and based on your rules determine what action will be required (compress, deletion, upload\copying, encryption and so).

Now as I understand it SOLUS3 will be doing the backup, sysman7 will have a option to interface with SOLUS3 to deal with backup tasks. In theory, Capita could integrate a ZIP library, like DotNetZip and a SSH library, like SharpSSH and create a upload method. I would hope if they did, they have the server SSH fingerprint as a patch.

I personally still find the new SFTP server a bit pants. I've getting a good 80KBs from it, but when you think I get 300KBs+ uploading via HTTPS via a server in the USA. SFTP and SSH isn't accepted by Microsoft and still feels like it needs so love from Microsoft to make it main stream and supportable.

HTTPS also doesn't need firewall ports opening, SSL certificates are generally accepted as a secure way to verify servers are who they say they are. This is why I'm planning on using AnyComms Plus and then getting Capita to download from me. Still, that's just the current plan. It might all change if\when they have built in support.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    When you click on System Manager 7 from the Focus menu, there is a little icon next to it. Does anyone have this on their SIMS shortcuts bar at the top? I don't and want it there.

Thank Post
    All SIMS School Users might want to check out thread 'Set Primary ............. (33006)' on SupportNet.

Matt,
    I hope you see this post sooner rather than later!
    You won't be able to see it probably but if you can get one of schools to view it then you might find it interesting.
    Keeping the two forums separate is a massive disadvantage when an issue like this crops up!
    Changing of priority on Contact phone numbers is a massive, massive error!
    It need others to realise the implications and report it as I have!

I post this here as I am currently having problems getting Support to understand the full implications of this change! I don't go public on these sort of things lightly! As most of you are aware!

Phil,
    If you see this then the Case number is:- 1109-956403

Thank Post
    I now stand corrected!

Apologies for the long rant about an error in the software!

It should have been a short rant about an error in the Release Notes!

How could I possibly think of criticising the SIMS Software publicly? I should have know better!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567