+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS client updates in Technical; Hi Guys, I'm desperate for a solution to a problem which I can't believe it would be only me that ...

Thank Post

Angry SIMS client updates

Hi Guys,

I'm desperate for a solution to a problem which I can't believe it would be only me that has come across.

Each time a SIMS release is made, the clients need to update, I accept that, but for whatever reason users cannot update their own machines and this means someone has to go to every machine and run the update as an administrator.

I've tried everything I can think of to get around this, adding trusted staff as local administrators, giving staff write permissions to the SIMS folder under program files, but to no success.

Has anyone got a solution to this problem they would be willing to share?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,306 Times in 1,088 Posts
    What is your OS? It's more complex now on Windows 7 with regards permissions.
    You should look at the file SIMSperm.bat which resides on the sims share to look at permissions and where they are needed. Most people apply these by group policy now.

For a longer term solution look at using SOLUS 3 which automates the process and will thus save you alot of the hassle.

However, if you look at the other thread regarding Spring 11 update, other users have had problems / corruptions with the update, so in this particular instance it might not just be you, but if you had issues with the last update as well, you'll just have compounded problems.

Thank Post
    hi vikpaw,

yes this is windows 7, and these issues were found with the previous update as well (in fact every time since we deployed W7). Will take a look at the SIMSperm and the possibility of using SOLUS 3.

thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha2x View Post
    Each time a SIMS release is made, the clients need to update, I accept that, but for whatever reason users cannot update their own machines and this means someone has to go to every machine and run the update as an administrator.
    As pointed out above, use simsperm.bat to set permissions. It will assign permissions to Active Directory security groups, so you can just lump all your SIMS users in a security group and run simsperm.bat for that group, e.g.:

s:
    cd S:\SIMS\Setups
    call simsperm.bat MYDOMAIN\SIMSUSERS

Also, SIMS works nicly via Terminal Services / Remote Desktop Connection - simply install the client on your TS server and have everyone use it from there.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,306 Times in 1,088 Posts
    Another thing to try is to set the sims app to 'run as administrator' this means they will get a prompt when they click the link, but it's worth a try to see if it can update.

What's the specific issue / error? Does it try and fail, does it not even attempt it, does it work but not save the settings so it keeps trying to update each use, does it give an application error post update, do it say invalid database... it's most likely permissions but i'm just checking as there can be so many things that go funny.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread