+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Technical Roadmap in Technical; Capita have backed down. SIMS Technical Roadmap - Updated Support Dates Due to the extensive feedback we have received on ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,917 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Capita have backed down.

SIMS Technical Roadmap - Updated Support Dates
    Due to the extensive feedback we have received on the SIMS Technical Roadmap we have decided to extend our support dates to give Schools and Local Authorities more time to migrate the latest Microsoft platforms.

Microsoft Windows XP support will now be extended a further 12 months until Autumn 2013. The last Microsoft Windows XP compatible SIMS release will therefore be Summer 2013.

Microsoft Windows Server 2003 support will now be extended a further 12 months until Summer 2013. The last Microsoft Windows Server 2003 compatible SIMS release will therefore be Spring 2013.

Microsoft Office 2003 support will now be extended a further 12 months until Spring 2013. The last Microsoft Office 2003 compatible SIMS release will therefore be Autumn 2012.

Please note that all of the above are already in a period of Microsoft Extended Support. This means that whilst we will test our software against the above Microsoft products, there may be cases where it is not possible to provide a fix as it will be reliant on a solution being delivered on the basis of 'reasonable endeavours.'

We have also reviewed our support for SOLUS 2 and have extended use of SOLUS 2 for SIMS deployment for another release until Autumn 2012. The last SOLUS 2 compatible SIMS release will now be Summer 2012.

The full and updated technical roadmap can be found under resource id: 17910

Thank Post
    Do you mean responded to what our customers have told us

3. 3 Thanks to PhilNeal:

AyatollahPies (14th June 2011), Jamman960 (14th June 2011), zag (15th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,469 Times in 1,220 Posts
    That's useful considering there are many who have problems on the new kit.

Thank Post
    For various reasons, this news has brightened up my day.

It doesn't stop those of you that feel XP and Office 2003 are obsolete, from upgrading your systems before then.

Thanks for listening Phil and the team at Capita.

Thank Post
    Its good to have a little more breathing space, I'd ditch all 3 tomorrow given the chance but we're having to do it in stages, especially as budgets have been slashed

Thank Post
    Capita have backed down
    Do you mean responded to what our customers have told us
    I think it's neither of the above, but I guess it depends on who you talk^H^H^H^H listen to.

Capita are still insisting on killing things significantly ahead of Microsoft doing that e.g. roughly 2 years earlier for Server 2003, 18 months earlier for Office 2003, 6 months earlier for XP.

In particular WHY?!? is there a need differentiate between XP and 2003 (which runs the SQL 2008 they support for a lot longer)?

PS: I'm arguing as someone who's done serious multi-platform dev in the depths of Windows and AFAIC this "oh, we might not be able to get MS to fix their OS" stuff is a crock, as in device drivers it ain't so what are these deep OS dependencies? Why do they care provided whatever they've built their code with e.g. dotNet vN libraries work.
    Last edited by PiqueABoo; 14th June 2011 at 02:20 PM.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I was just about to congratulate capita on acutally making a brave decision on Sims but then I saw they backed down

Can't believe people will be using XP in 18 months time to be honest! Windows 8 should be out by that time!!

People have to remember that longer support for these old technologies means less new features and testing on the current platforms
    Last edited by zag; 14th June 2011 at 02:26 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    I was just about to congratulate capita on acutally making a brave decision on Sims but then I saw they backed down

Can't believe people will be using XP in 18 months time to be honest! Windows 8 should be out by that time!!
    Don't forget, it's not necessarily people buying it still, it is not being able to upgrade before then. Schools have to have a decent lead up to these decisions, they can't just decide with 6 months notice they will carry out a major upgrade. & as PiqueABoo says, if it is all right for MS then why are Capita dropping support earlier?

We have our own roadmap and we were going to be on the wrong side of a couple of those dates and just squeaking in with the other one. I know a fair few other schools in the area were either in the same position or a worse one.

So, thank you Capita for listening but still could do better.

Thank Post
    The extended lifecycle of XP has caused this mess, very few wanted to upgrade to Vista so downgrading to XP has been the norm until windows 7 came along... we're only making the move to W7 as pc's get replaced. I'd rather not spend money on machines that are going to be replaced in 2-3 years time,

I expect we'll have cycled out the XP machines naturally by the time the new deadline comes along, Summer 2012 would have been a bit of a push.

Thank Post
    It's only going to be a mess if Capita make it so. I'm expecting this to cause financial pain for some of those little Primary schools with things like CC3 that can least afford it. They can't afford to upgrade entire system until date X, but to continue using SIMS they have to pay to have some of it 'rearranged' ahead of that date which isn't a trivial cost as a percentage of ICT budget, and reduces money for that entire system upgrade. Gets even messier if they do classroom attendance etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 2,021 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Microsoft might still be providing security updates for XP for some time, but they aren't releasing software that works on XP. Examples such as IE9, and I'm going to guess that future releases of .Net won't work on XP either.

Add in the fact that as customers we're expecting them to support 3 OS's, 3 office suites and 3 different server OS's, and it is obvious that that is quite an undertaking.

13. Thanks to localzuk from:

TheScarfedOne (15th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Add in the fact that as customers we're expecting them to support 3 OS's, 3 office suites and 3 different server OS's, and it is obvious that that is quite an undertaking.
    I was using Windows VMs at the end of the 90's because we had to support 95, 98, NT3.51, NT 4 and about to be released Me and 2K with a wide variety of web browsers and versions. That is what real development is like, or at least what real development is like with no one being paid truckloads of maintenance money in a position to cause some significant pain by jumping the MS support expiry gun.

In any case you missed a key point: Why can it run on XP longer than 2003? What's the massive difference that make's them count as 2 OS's as opposed to 1.1 at worst?

Ans: None worth mentioning in this context. I don't know what the agenda is here but I haven't seen a single comment from anyone with a credible tech reason, so I'm falling back to suspecting there's something else going on. Perhaps it is some strategy to effectively force some schools into the cloud or something?

PS:

we're expecting them to support 3 OS's, 3 office suites and 3 different server OS's
    I wrote/support extremely serious code on 5 Windows OS+platform combinations all by myself - and this stuff needs to care about some of the differences.
    Last edited by PiqueABoo; 14th June 2011 at 06:47 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    I was just about to congratulate capita on actually making a brave decision on Sims but then I saw they backed down

People have to remember that longer support for these old technologies means less new features and testing on the current platforms
    It is the LEA Sims Support teams that have requested the postponement. They have a good idea of how out of date the schools within their authorities are.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12